Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 03-03-2019, 10:02 AM   #81
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
So basically it's better to have a guy with 3 50's across the board than have a guy with a 100-35-35? So is that just there to tease and confuse us? If I put a guy like that on my team in a normal sim he would have a high whip but would dominate as a mid relief or even a stopper...

It's just so rare to see 100 STU...I'm not sure I've ever seen it until now.
Actually 100 stuff isn´t so rare, so don´t worry about not seeing again!
The 50-all guy you describe would also get lit up. But guys like Sad Sam Jones and Tiny Bohnam, who don´t have much stuff but good movement and control, can be successful all the way up to Diamond. Larry Dierker is another low-cost example.
Keep in mind that this is a game of stars, and the "average" standard is well above average. So guys who were superstars in real life may not fare as well in this game, especially the higher up you get. You can find out a lot by looking at the players on the other teams in your league and see what numbers they put up with the ratings they have.
justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #82
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

The more I learn the more I'm starting to realize a few things.

It's a good, fun game. However, I started way too late. I looked at the other teams in my BRONZE league and I'm like "holy crap a .500 record would be a miracle." How can people with rosters of 90+-rated players still be in bronze? I won't stand a chance.

Maybe this game version isn't for me. I'm great at the offline version, but everyone has such a ridiculous head start and the game doesn't consider who it's pitting me against clearly, so my chances of ever winning (i.e. having any fun) are pretty much slim-to-none anytime soon.

I have a team of what I would consider above-average to all-star caliber, and they SUCK. They're terrible. A team of this caliber doesn't feel like it should struggle to get .500. It feels like a contender...ESPECIALLY in the lowest POSSIBLE league available online.

To put it in other words, if I had the team I have in the offline version I would contend for the World Series every single year.

Last edited by Findest2001; 03-03-2019 at 12:40 PM. Reason: wording
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #83
justpatrick
Major Leagues

Quote:

To put it in other words, if I had the team I have in the offline version I would contend for the World Series every single year.
But where´s the fun in that? The building of the team and the twerks you make that have a big (sometimes negative!) impact are what I enjoy. Of course that doesn´t mean you have to like that aspect too.

And if you had the team offline that you have online, remember they would be going up against normal league teams that for every star have a lot of role players and scrubs. This is star vs star, and not all stars are equal.
Good luck either way, whether you stay or not.
justpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:20 PM   #84
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpatrick View Post
But where´s the fun in that? The building of the team and the twerks you make that have a big (sometimes negative!) impact are what I enjoy. Of course that doesn´t mean you have to like that aspect too.

And if you had the team offline that you have online, remember they would be going up against normal league teams that for every star have a lot of role players and scrubs. This is star vs star, and not all stars are equal.
Good luck either way, whether you stay or not.

Thank you, kind sir. I would like to stay. I just created a new team that I will enter into the inaugural pool tomorrow. Maybe that will keep me from being jaded.

Also, a partial epiphany, since I have been constantly upgrading over the course of the week has that been hurting me? It has definitely helped my W-L record, but it replaced a lot of players after mid season. Does that disqualify my team from achievements because noone played a full season? Is that part of why I'm not getting any PP or is PP awarded for game performances and W-L? Or do they also involve streaks, season records, and the like?

In other words, did I shoot myself in the foot, PP-wise, for this season because all of my roster completely rehauled mid-season?
Old 03-03-2019, 01:28 PM   #85
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Thank you, kind sir. I would like to stay. I just created a new team that I will enter into the inaugural pool tomorrow. Maybe that will keep me from being jaded.

Also, a partial epiphany, since I have been constantly upgrading over the course of the week has that been hurting me? It has definitely helped my W-L record, but it replaced a lot of players after mid season. Does that disqualify my team from achievements because noone played a full season? Is that part of why I'm not getting any PP or is PP awarded for game performances and W-L? Or do they also involve streaks, season records, and the like?

In other words, did I shoot myself in the foot, PP-wise, for this season because all of my roster completely rehauled mid-season?

I would say that having guys not play a full season makes some achievements less likely to get because they are based on overall performance of a player throughout the entire season, the individual hitting and fielding awards, top pitcher, most wins by a pitcher, etc.
OMGPuppies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:36 PM   #86
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
I would say that having guys not play a full season makes some achievements less likely to get because they are based on overall performance of a player throughout the entire season, the individual hitting and fielding awards, top pitcher, most wins by a pitcher, etc.

I only ask because I've seen people say I should be getting anywhere from 3-5k PP MINIMUM per week, and I swear I haven't seen more than 500 at any one time come through in a 7-day period. But I have been adjusting all my rosters.

So, in order to get PP is it best to set-it-and-forget-it for my rosters for the week and come back in 7 days to see how much PP generation there was? Or is in-season roster changes what everyone does?

At this point my main goal is to generate some PP. I saw one person say the average person should get 5k/wk in PP achievements. I have gotten, AT MOST, 2k-ish in a week, and it was almost entirely from selling cards, NOT achievements.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:43 PM   #87
Mudster
Major Leagues

Three words to remember..."game", "play", and "fun". Perfect team is what you make of it. There is some excellent reading on the forums here that will help you get a better understanding of how to improve your teams, how to throw a twist into the game to keep it interesting, and strategies to try to hopefully get an advantage against your opponents. Just because you came in late doesn't mean you don't have a chance. That's why there are different levels. You don't have to be in a Perfect leveled league to get the full enjoyment out of this. For instance, my three teams are 1) Create the best team possible using all platforms. Spent a little money, but decided that's no fun. 2) All silver and bronze team. By selling off higher level cards, I was able to put together a very formidable collection of silver and under cards, which I'm still working on finding the best combination. Currently in Silver playoffs (nevermind that...got thumped). 3) Pack only team. No cash, just earned points and auctioned points. No "bought" players. Won my bronze league the first year with this team because of a couple lucky pulls (Snell and Cole) but got knocked back down to earth in Silver. All three are fun for me, yet all have different challenges. Go to the forums first and spend an afternoon soaking up the knowledge these guys are throwing out there. We have some good baseball brains.
Mudster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 PM   #88
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

"Patience" is all I can tell you. My primary team made some very lucky card picks, and as a result, made some early PP treasure hordes to add to the team.

My secondary team (which I just started), however, pulled junk from the first 36 cards, and I've struggled to get enough PPs to do much improvements.

That team has 2 Golds, 8 Silver, 12 Bronze, and 3 Iron. I'm 19-23 in the Entry Pool and have 284 PPs. Not looking promising for my Bronze assignment tomorrow.

BUT, I'll keep at it and hope I can trun something around. It's a challenge - at least until OOTP 20 comes out and I have to shift my attention to a new team there.

Use this team to keep learning. There's a lot to this game and it takes time to absorb it all.

PS: I just had a 97 starting pitcher in my primary playoffs give up 10 runs in the first 3 innings of the game. You just can't let small samples get to you - this is a long term project for the most part.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:24 PM   #89
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

I just need to know if roster acquisitions should be used as they come in, or if I should horde them until Monday of each week, and change rosters before each season?

When you guys do upgrade cards, do you put them in immediately, or do you wait until sunday night or monday morning so you don't kill your PP generation?
Old 03-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #90
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudster View Post
Three words to remember..."game", "play", and "fun". Perfect team is what you make of it. There is some excellent reading on the forums here that will help you get a better understanding of how to improve your teams, how to throw a twist into the game to keep it interesting, and strategies to try to hopefully get an advantage against your opponents. Just because you came in late doesn't mean you don't have a chance. That's why there are different levels. You don't have to be in a Perfect leveled league to get the full enjoyment out of this. For instance, my three teams are 1) Create the best team possible using all platforms. Spent a little money, but decided that's no fun. 2) All silver and bronze team. By selling off higher level cards, I was able to put together a very formidable collection of silver and under cards, which I'm still working on finding the best combination. Currently in Silver playoffs (nevermind that...got thumped). 3) Pack only team. No cash, just earned points and auctioned points. No "bought" players. Won my bronze league the first year with this team because of a couple lucky pulls (Snell and Cole) but got knocked back down to earth in Silver. All three are fun for me, yet all have different challenges. Go to the forums first and spend an afternoon soaking up the knowledge these guys are throwing out there. We have some good baseball brains.

I have two teams. One uses the auction house and the other uses packs. Both are in the playoffs now. It is kind of fun to leave your fate up to the pack gods. My pack team got some lucky pulls and has solid pitching, good offense, and horrible defense. Not how I would build my team normally, but it is fun trying to work with what you got dealt. After I get bounced from the playoffs, I will open my ten packs or so and see if any of the new blood can help my team. I thought about putting money into the game, but after reading how many find their F2P teams more enjoyable than their money teams, I am glad that I am solely F2P.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:36 PM   #91
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I just need to know if roster acquisitions should be used as they come in, or if I should horde them until Monday of each week, and change rosters before each season?

When you guys do upgrade cards, do you put them in immediately, or do you wait until sunday night or monday morning so you don't kill your PP generation?
If the upgrades are big enough, the players you're replacing probably wouldn't generate the end-of-season PP awards anyway. I'd put them in immediately.
atabakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:49 PM   #92
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGPuppies View Post
I have two teams. One uses the auction house and the other uses packs. Both are in the playoffs now. It is kind of fun to leave your fate up to the pack gods. My pack team got some lucky pulls and has solid pitching, good offense, and horrible defense. Not how I would build my team normally, but it is fun trying to work with what you got dealt. After I get bounced from the playoffs, I will open my ten packs or so and see if any of the new blood can help my team. I thought about putting money into the game, but after reading how many find their F2P teams more enjoyable than their money teams, I am glad that I am solely F2P.

TEN packs in one season!?!?

That's 10,000PP... if all you've ever done is get packs, and that is the reason my teams suck so badly, how the hell did you make a team that amazing!?
Old 03-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #93
Kushiel
All Star Starter

When your team is finally very good and you win Perfect level championships, you will be still be scratching your head wondering what the heck just happened some days.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #94
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's 10,000PP... if all you've ever done is get packs, and that is the reason my teams suck so badly, how the hell did you make a team that amazing!?
You didn't read my post above - so I'll repeat part of it here...

""My secondary team (which I just started), pulled junk from the first 36 cards, and I've struggled to get enough PPs to do many improvements.
That team has 2 Golds, 8 Silver, 12 Bronze, and 3 Iron. I'm 19-23 in the Entry Pool and have 284 PPs. Not looking promising for my Bronze assignment tomorrow.""

This is not an instant gratification game. It's a put your nose to the grindstone and figure something out kind of game - unless you get lucky and pull a few good cards.

My Primary team did just that, and my secondary team didn't.

Stick it out, or start again when you get OOTP20 - but don't expect to become king-of-the-hill right away. As you know 50% of all teams play under .500

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:08 PM   #95
OMGPuppies
All Star Starter

Quote:

Got some lucky pulls. The best being 100 Betts, 99 Kershaw.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #96
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
This is not an instant gratification game. It's a put your nose to the grindstone and figure something out kind of game...
Having the 13th season be your first puts you at a serious disadvantage, having missed out on so much of the grind.

Now I'm just imagining people posting about their experiences in their first season in OOTPXX-PT when they join after picking up the game for cheap during the All Star break...

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned, but there is an anecdotal correlation between winning and achievements (and therefore points). I, and others, have reported that it is easy to surpass the dev suggested ~5k expected average of points per season if we're doing well. In leagues where people have been severely overmatched, points drop far below this average. People have reported gaining less than 2k points over the course of an entire season.

What I would recommend, since there is obviously anxiety about this topic, is to record all the achievements and points you gain throughout the season. This will give you an accurate measure that you can compare as seasons progress. It surprised me how much my market transactions were affecting my own beliefs on this, so this helped me cut through my inherent and imperceptible biases. Additionally, achievements can be random, so expect some variance. However, this way you can tell quickly and authoritatively how lucky or unlucky your team has been.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:10 PM   #97
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
Having the 13th season be your first puts you at a serious disadvantage, having missed out on so much of the grind.

Now I'm just imagining people posting about their experiences in their first season in OOTPXX-PT when they join after picking up the game for cheap during the All Star break...

Also, I haven't seen it mentioned, but there is an anecdotal correlation between winning and achievements (and therefore points). I, and others, have reported that it is easy to surpass the dev suggested ~5k expected average of points per season if we're doing well. In leagues where people have been severely overmatched, points drop far below this average. People have reported gaining less than 2k points over the course of an entire season.

What I would recommend, since there is obviously anxiety about this topic, is to record all the achievements and points you gain throughout the season. This will give you an accurate measure that you can compare as seasons progress. It surprised me how much my market transactions were affecting my own beliefs on this, so this helped me cut through my inherent and imperceptible biases. Additionally, achievements can be random, so expect some variance. However, this way you can tell quickly and authoritatively how lucky or unlucky your team has been.

Thank you. I will take this under advisement. I will do as you say this upcoming week so I can mathematically ascertain whether or not my anxieties are justified or not.

I am also starting a new team to compare them side-by-side.

Thanks again, friend!
Old 03-03-2019, 08:39 PM   #98
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The more I learn the more I'm starting to realize a few things.

It's a good, fun game. However, I started way too late. I looked at the other teams in my BRONZE league and I'm like "holy crap a .500 record would be a miracle." How can people with rosters of 90+-rated players still be in bronze? I won't stand a chance.

Maybe this game version isn't for me. I'm great at the offline version, but everyone has such a ridiculous head start and the game doesn't consider who it's pitting me against clearly, so my chances of ever winning (i.e. having any fun) are pretty much slim-to-none anytime soon.

I have a team of what I would consider above-average to all-star caliber, and they SUCK. They're terrible. A team of this caliber doesn't feel like it should struggle to get .500. It feels like a contender...ESPECIALLY in the lowest POSSIBLE league available online.

I literally just finished my third season and already have several diamond and mostly gold players without buying points. It isn't tough. Starting late is awesome since players on the auction house are cheaper and most teams in lower levels aren't active anymore. the vast majority of bronze league teams are bad and inactive.

You still exaggerate everything which is why other people are bashing you. The team you posted doesn't suck, they were 81-81. you are just a few upgrades away from the playoffs in your second season after wasting all your initial points on packs. not sure what else you could want.

Last edited by dkgo; 03-03-2019 at 08:42 PM.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #99
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the encouragement. My apologies...yet again, about exaggerating. I was frustrated. My bad. It won't happen again. I'll post screenshots of everything I can. Then there can be no interpretation.

It's frustrating playing a game and literally not having a clue what's going on, and seeing what seems like a solid team that can't even break .500.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:38 PM   #100
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Hey guys! I'm posting an update for those who requested it. My team is doing MUCH better. In fact I'm in first place in bronze league!

I've been working the AH...the old buy low sell high strategy, and have significantly improved the roster. I'm actually VERY happy with my pitching staff as my highest ERA in the rotation is barely over 4 (Marichal has like a 4.08).

Thank you guys for all your suggections!

Here's the proof in the pudding
Attached Images