Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > MLB Manager 2016 > MLBM 2016 - General Discussions

MLBM 2016 - General Discussions Talk about MLB Manager 2016, the baseball management simulation for iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android

Old 03-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #21
russ99
Bat Boy

A suggestion, not sure how much weight it has, but it could help make MLB Manager more profitable, and tap into the core OOTP user base.

I'd love to see something closer to the desktop version of OOTP on higher end tablets/mobile devices, akin to what Sports Interactive has done with Football Manager Touch, I pay $12.99 each year for a reduced feature yet close to desktop-class version of that game.

I know a lot of mobile app marketing is to acquire more of a lower end market share with a lower cost app for low-end devices, but many OOTP fans would gladly pay a premium for a more rounded mobile experience.

If you already develop the Mac version of OTTP on Xcode, there's not a huge jump to publish a scaled down pro tablet version. I know development cost is a huge factor on return of investment, so again, I'm not sure how feasible this is, and I'm not sure how Android would work.

I will continue to purchase MLB Manager as long as it's offered as it's vastly better than other baseball sim apps, but it could be so much more...

Last edited by russ99; 03-10-2017 at 10:57 AM.
russ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:26 PM   #22
daves
Hall Of Famer

Here is another possible easy one, set defense substitution preference for late close games in the strategy section.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:35 PM   #23
KingxX
Minors (Double A)

Is this game dead?
KingxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #24
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingxX View Post
Is this game dead?
No. The main focus is on OOTP 18, then there will be a MLB Manager 2017 after OOTP 18 comes out.

Not dead, just secondary.

Last edited by daves; 03-18-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:48 PM   #25
sosa2k
Bat Boy

How do I sign up to become a beta tester for the game?
sosa2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #26
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosa2k View Post
How do I sign up to become a beta tester for the game?
The app is a secondary byproduct of OOTP18. The beta testing is currently handled by a group of experienced OOTP players for the computer game. There is no official beta testing for the app. It's a limited version of the OOTP, you can almost view this game as an OOTP18 very very lite version or OOTP6 with updated rosters.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:34 PM   #27
MattB75
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
The app is a secondary byproduct of OOTP18. The beta testing is currently handled by a group of experienced OOTP players for the computer game. There is no official beta testing for the app. It's a limited version of the OOTP, you can almost view this game as an OOTP18 very very lite version or OOTP6 with updated rosters.
Are you sure that's how the beta testing is done? You'd think they'd want players that actually play THIS game. Not OOTP.
MattB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:57 PM   #28
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB75 View Post
Are you sure that's how the beta testing is done? You'd think they'd want players that actually play THIS game. Not OOTP.
Valid point. I am not aware of any beta testing for the app. They just add a little bit to the app from the OOTP game. It seemed to be a byproduct of a much bigger game.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:48 PM   #29
wodi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB75 View Post

I'm pretty sure they at some point did have beta testers for this game.
wodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:56 PM   #30
wodi
All Star Reserve

Quote:

I view this game as a completely separate thing from ootp. I don't view it as a stripped down version of ootp, I view it as MLB manager.

I think the customer bases are separate. I think the guys who play MLB manager primarily and post in this forum do so because of the convenience and ease of the mobile game. While the guys who play ootp only view these forums by accident on their way to the ootp forums.

I would hope the company would also start treating the game not as a secondary product but as its own entity capable of attracting its own customer base.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:29 PM   #31
Birds71
Bat Boy

I have been an iOOTP/MLBM user for a few years now and greatly enjoy the game. I am a methodical user, in that I play the games out using my favorite team, and then check boxscores from the other simulated games. So it takes me a few months to play out out a full season, but I enjoy it better this way rather than just blowing through seasons quickly. While I would love to see major additions like a functioning minor league system and an international free-agent market, I have some smaller pet-peeves that seem to me like they could be simple fixes. In no particular order:

-- September call-ups -- The CPU-controlled teams always fill their rosters to the 40-man limit (which never happens in reality), and they almost always fill with position players. I noticed a team last season that had nine shortstops in September. It would be more realistic to add a third catcher, a few extra bench guys, and some extra long relievers. The by-product of this is that many young blue-chippers who are not ready yet get called up at age 20-21, and their free-agency clock gets started. You also get messy games with loads of pinch-runners, since so many guys are given max speed. Also, I have seen many examples of teams in a pennant race in the final days of the season starting some call-ups over regular starters.

-- Interleague Play -- How hard would it be for the automated schedule-builder to rotate divisions for interleague play? I manage an AL East team, and every year we play the NL West teams. It should rotate like in real life.

-- Runners scoring from 2nd base with 2 outs -- I set my preferences to aggressive baserunning, but it's amazing the number of times a runner on 2nd will not score on a base hit to the outfield with 2 outs in an inning. With the runner going on contact, they should score almost every time, except in the rare instance of a hard-hit ball with a slow runner/strong arm. I get that the pxp description might not exactly match the situation, but it's frustrating when your tying run stops at 3rd on a ball hit up the gap with 2 outs.

-- Position player pitching/insert DH into field -- it doesn't happen often, but in the rare occasion of a blowout or long extra-inning game, I'd like to have the option in the AL of using a position player to pitch. Likewise, sometimes in emergency situations managers will put their DH into the field and forfeit the DH for the rest of the game. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd like to be able to do both of these things.

-- Better talent in the draft -- I've seen this posted a few times, but it would be nice to have at least 4-star talent at various positions extend at through the first round, especially with position players. I would also like to see "late bloomers", guys sitting in the minors for a few years who break out into serviceable major leaguers.
Birds71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:21 PM   #32
wodi
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds71 View Post
I have been an iOOTP/MLBM user for a few years now and greatly enjoy the game. I am a methodical user, in that I play the games out using my favorite team, and then check boxscores from the other simulated games. So it takes me a few months to play out out a full season, but I enjoy it better this way rather than just blowing through seasons quickly. While I would love to see major additions like a functioning minor league system and an international free-agent market, I have some smaller pet-peeves that seem to me like they could be simple fixes. In no particular order:

-- September call-ups -- The CPU-controlled teams always fill their rosters to the 40-man limit (which never happens in reality), and they almost always fill with position players. I noticed a team last season that had nine shortstops in September. It would be more realistic to add a third catcher, a few extra bench guys, and some extra long relievers. The by-product of this is that many young blue-chippers who are not ready yet get called up at age 20-21, and their free-agency clock gets started. You also get messy games with loads of pinch-runners, since so many guys are given max speed. Also, I have seen many examples of teams in a pennant race in the final days of the season starting some call-ups over regular starters.

-- Interleague Play -- How hard would it be for the automated schedule-builder to rotate divisions for interleague play? I manage an AL East team, and every year we play the NL West teams. It should rotate like in real life.

-- Runners scoring from 2nd base with 2 outs -- I set my preferences to aggressive baserunning, but it's amazing the number of times a runner on 2nd will not score on a base hit to the outfield with 2 outs in an inning. With the runner going on contact, they should score almost every time, except in the rare instance of a hard-hit ball with a slow runner/strong arm. I get that the pxp description might not exactly match the situation, but it's frustrating when your tying run stops at 3rd on a ball hit up the gap with 2 outs.

-- Position player pitching/insert DH into field -- it doesn't happen often, but in the rare occasion of a blowout or long extra-inning game, I'd like to have the option in the AL of using a position player to pitch. Likewise, sometimes in emergency situations managers will put their DH into the field and forfeit the DH for the rest of the game. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'd like to be able to do both of these things.

-- Better talent in the draft -- I've seen this posted a few times, but it would be nice to have at least 4-star talent at various positions extend at through the first round, especially with position players. I would also like to see "late bloomers", guys sitting in the minors for a few years who break out into serviceable major leaguers.

I agree with the September call ups and especially the better talent in the draft. The draft is way too predictable, the best players go first and 4th and 5th round picks are useless. I do think this speaks to the poor player development aspect more than the draft pool though.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:26 PM   #33
Mr_Devil_Dog
Minors (Single A)

MLBM 2017 - No Changes other that roster

I sent OOTP and email some timer ago asking them about MLMB 2017. The response at that time was there was going to be little to no change, only really adding the new 2017 roster. This is back to back years this game has received zero attention, so for all intensive purposes it is a dead product. Last year I purchased it with the intent to continue to support them financially so that they would invest in the game, so I am really disappointed. With the huge move to tablet computing over the past several years, you would think this would be a place to invest, but unfortunately someone things adding Negro leagues and an online awards page provides long term better value. I have supported OOTP for about 6 years now with the core OOTP baseball, FHM, and MLBM. I enjoy the games very much, and wish these guys nothing but the best, but I wish they invested way more on tablet computing and FHM and less on OOTP18.
Mr_Devil_Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #34
Leefoo
Major Leagues

My hope is that I can carry over games from previous versions. That is why I didn't update last year. I lost all of my leagues in progress. If that is fixed, I will surely buy the new game.

Thx
Leefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #35
wodi
All Star Reserve

2017 MLB Manager News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leefoo View Post
My hope is that I can carry over games from previous versions. That is why I didn't update last year. I lost all of my leagues in progress. If that is fixed, I will surely buy the new game.

Thx

Lol what's he point in carrying a game over? There won't be any improvement to the game, just play he old one.

Last edited by wodi; 03-21-2017 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:48 AM   #36
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leefoo View Post

Thx
It was always possible to carry saves over to a new version. But with a closed system like Apple you need a 3rd party tool to copy the folders. It is some work but easily done if you want.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #37
sfnate
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
It was always possible to carry saves over to a new version. But with a closed system like Apple you need a 3rd party tool to copy the folders. It is some work but easily done if you want.
Apple locks down the core application files, but it does allow applications to create a "Documents" folder that can be accessed via iTunes. This has been true for a while. Earlier versions of iOOTP allowed users to access the game saves that were stored in the "Documents" folder, but beginning with MLBM, this access was lost or broken. Other apps (for example, Football Manager Mobile) allow users to access and add files to the "Documents" folder, and I assume MLBM could, too, if the developers wanted to invest a little time in figuring out how to do it. Unfortunately, the "solution" Sebastian describes requires you to jailbreak your device, which many of us are very reluctant to do.

Sadly, I think this is the year I give up on MLBM. Without naming names, I think it's pretty clear that OOTP needs to find someone who is actually motivated to make the game deeper and better, rather than doing a last minute fire drill to add a few random features. The way this has been handled this year has been, to say the least, very disappointing, and it's clear that OOTP doesn't take us seriously. I understand completely if you guys feel like you want to throw some more money at them this year, but don't consider it an investment in something better to come--at least until OOTP gets it sorted out and comes up with a real plan for future versions of the game. Right now, there's no plan, just chaos and indifference.

Last edited by sfnate; 03-23-2017 at 11:02 PM.
sfnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:10 PM   #38
daves
Hall Of Famer

With OOTP out on the 24th, when should we expect the app to be released?

Old 03-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #39
Wisnoodles
Major Leagues

It's normally released around the first or second week of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Wisnoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #40
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
With OOTP out on the 24th, when should we expect the app to be released?
Depending on Apple my best guess at the moment is either 3/30 or 4/6 (it will be a Thursday).