Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 03-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #1
bennytoup
Bat Boy

Help for a New GM

Hi All,

I picked up OOTP 15 (after watching Moneyball) and fell in love with it, so have just upgraded to 16. I'm completely new to Baseball, but a big sports fan, pretty number-savvy and with a lot of experience playing other sports' management sims.

I'm particularly drawn to the GM only style of play (hoping that a Manager can compensate for my lack of tactical knowledge on Game Day), but was hoping you guys could give me some thoughts on what is crucial as a GM.

I generally play fantasy leagues, as my lack of real-world player knowledge seems less of a hindrance.

Typically, I focus on strengthening my Major League Roster, which I guess will come back to bite me in later years - how actively do you manage your minor leagues?

I realise this is a really vague thread, but any brief nuggets of info you have will add to my enthusiastic Baseball education. Thanks!
bennytoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #2
Dr.K
Major Leagues

Love OOTP and they way it allows you to immerse yourself in the business of baseball and indulge in all your baseball fantasies!

AAA - for my minor or major league vets who just can't make the big club or my major leaguers who have lost a bit of form. I expect this team to have a winning mentality so I really look to win the league here.

AA - For my best prospects who have progressed through the system and are not far away from a call up in September. If it gets crowded here then they can go up to AAA. Also have my re-hab assignments go here too.

A - If you can't cut it here you are not staying! My manager here has to be ruthless and the coaches the very best, real ball breakers, I am looking for a spark in some players here. If you get past this level you are on your way.

Rookie - Welcome to the minors kid! Everyone goes here after the draft including the best from the international complex.

I love managing the minors but it takes time, more often than not I set things up at All Star break and after Spring Training and then get the AI to manage line-ups, if I like someone I click on him to highlight him in Capitals so it's easier to track a player. The key here for my players is getting past A ball, if you can get past here you have a chance to make the big club or make it somewhere in the league.

I have attached a link for a great set of articles about the best 25 GMS in baseball history and their individual approaches to the game, I believe there is not a book about them and many more.

https://pursuitofpennants.wordpress.com/

Last edited by Dr.K; 03-26-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Dr.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #3
bennytoup
Bat Boy

Thank you, that's a really helpful way of looking at things.

So would you trade to improve any of those rosters? Or is it just a way of managing draft players through the system / developing players who you acquired with a view to soon being Major League?
Old 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
Dr.K
Major Leagues

Possibly in AAA. Like say for instance in a trade, if I can get an extra player as part of a trade for a major leaguer who will enhance the AAA teams to be better then I will get him, otherwise it's building the system with AA being the cut off point for whether a player has any type of future with my organisation. I think it would take 5 years to get the farm system the way I want it winning titles at AAA level and sending 2 to 3 players up to the bigs.

Last edited by Dr.K; 03-26-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #5
bennytoup
Bat Boy

Thank you, that's a relief - it can seem pretty overwhelming, but I love that you COULD manage all those trades if you wanted to.

I need to play around with which things to delegate to the AI... For example, I would love them to broadly manage things below AAA, but I am sure there is a way I can tell them not to trade certain players who have caught my attention.

Would you (or others, obviously!) say that this is the fundamental role of the GM? I realise there's a budget to control etc, but I think that's one for me to start worrying about once I can help my manager to build a winning team!
Old 03-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #6
Dr.K
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennytoup View Post
Thank you, that's a relief - it can seem pretty overwhelming, but I love that you COULD manage all those trades if you wanted to.

I need to play around with which things to delegate to the AI... For example, I would love them to broadly manage things below AAA, but I am sure there is a way I can tell them not to trade certain players who have caught my attention.

Would you (or others, obviously!) say that this is the fundamental role of the GM? I realise there's a budget to control etc, but I think that's one for me to start worrying about once I can help my manager to build a winning team!

IRL I believe a farm director would generally oversee the moves and development of players in the farm system, with the GM taking overall responsibility.

There is a way to control moves up and down of certain players, I think you can lock players at certain levels and let the AI handle everything else. Set AI to manage things but lock say AA, A, and Rookie players so they don't go up or down. This can be done by yourself. That is one way of doing it. It takes a bit of practice to get what you want but OOTP as you know is really customizable so you should get what you need.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.K View Post
Love OOTP and they way it allows you to immerse yourself in the business of baseball and indulge in all your baseball fantasies!

AAA - for my minor or major league vets who just can't make the big club or my major leaguers who have lost a bit of form. I expect this team to have a winning mentality so I really look to win the league here.

AA - For my best prospects who have progressed through the system and are not far away from a call up in September. If it gets crowded here then they can go up to AAA. Also have my re-hab assignments go here too.

A - If you can't cut it here you are not staying! My manager here has to be ruthless and the coaches the very best, real ball breakers, I am looking for a spark in some players here. If you get past this level you are on your way.

Rookie - Welcome to the minors kid! Everyone goes here after the draft including the best from the international complex.

I love managing the minors but it takes time, more often than not I set things up at All Star break and after Spring Training and then get the AI to manage line-ups, if I like someone I click on him to highlight him in Capitals so it's easier to track a player. The key here for my players is getting past A ball, if you can get past here you have a chance to make the big club or make it somewhere in the league.
This is potentially the most shattering post I've read in the past couple of years. You just blew up my mentality for the minors and I'm completely excited by that.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
bennytoup
Bat Boy

Only just discovered the 'thank' function on here, but yes this has been so helpful to me - I've been trying to emulate this approach. I guess it also involves finding the right manager for these teams too?

How much roster movement do you typically see during the season? Aside from big changes around spring training etc.

I'm really enjoying the more 'top line' experience of playing in GM mode, although I have made a couple of changes to team strategy based on the quality of my players in different areas... Hard to know how many games I need to leave it before accepting that my changes have made things better or worse (and I guess I should be refining for different opponents)

I have a lot to learn, but am enjoying doing so very much!
Old 03-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I keep a spreadsheet of every player in the org with current and potential ratings that I update monthly when the new scouting report comes out (yes I'm a freak, so what).

This year I set it up with a scale that tells me what level their overall rating (as dictated by my formula) belongs at, so that I can try to keep the prospects more or less at the right level. The scale still needs some tweaking, but all in all it's going well.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:09 AM   #10
Dr.K
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennytoup View Post
Only just discovered the 'thank' function on here, but yes this has been so helpful to me - I've been trying to emulate this approach. I guess it also involves finding the right manager for these teams too?

How much roster movement do you typically see during the season? Aside from big changes around spring training etc.

I'm really enjoying the more 'top line' experience of playing in GM mode, although I have made a couple of changes to team strategy based on the quality of my players in different areas... Hard to know how many games I need to leave it before accepting that my changes have made things better or worse (and I guess I should be refining for different opponents)

I have a lot to learn, but am enjoying doing so very much!

There is quite a bit of roster movement, in fact I live in the "transactions" screen. With so many injuries you have to keep an eye out. This is why I let the AI manage my minor league line-ups, but have the promotion/demotion off. For a real challenge turn stars off. I like stars on particularly when starting a new version of OOTP. However once I get used to a new version I turn stars off. This means you really get immersed for me at least in the stats. WAR is a stat that wasn't around at the beginning of OOTP, I'm not sure VORP was either or WHIP (I still don't understand that one!)

With the goals system in OOTP 16 you'll soon know from your owner if your changes are right! My dream is to bring a crop of youngsters through the system, like Williams/Jeter/Rivera/Petttie/Posada and build a foundation for a dominant team. So they all learn the "Dr.K Way"!
Old 03-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #11
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

WHIP = Walks + Hits per Inning Pitched.

Roughly, it's baserunners allowed per inning by the pitcher (since it doesn't include reaching on error which isn't the pitcher's fault).
Old 03-28-2015, 04:32 PM   #12
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivertheorem View Post
WHIP = Walks + Hits per Inning Pitched.

Roughly, it's baserunners allowed per inning by the pitcher (since it doesn't include reaching on error which isn't the pitcher's fault).
Unless of course the Pitcher made the error
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:46 PM   #13
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Don't pester me with details. :P