Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #21
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
I uploaded my league's .dat files to ootpsupport. It's called Bobble_FirstRoundDraftPickRelease.lg.zip.

I do have "Overall rating based on AI eval, not pure ratings." checked. And my AI player evaluation options are:

Hopefully, Markus can look into improving the AI in this area and let us know what to do in the meantime to help the AI not make these choices.
So you have 0% for Ratings Weight? Doesn't that mean that the AI evaluation is based on stats only? And recent draft choices will have no stats for 33% of your evaluation settings? That sounds like the cause of the problem.
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #22
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
So you have 0% for Ratings Weight? Doesn't that mean that the AI evaluation is based on stats only? And recent draft choices will have no stats for 33% of your evaluation settings? That sounds like the cause of the problem.
Could be indeed.
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #23
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
I uploaded my league's .dat files to ootpsupport. It's called Bobble_FirstRoundDraftPickRelease.lg.zip.

I do have "Overall rating based on AI eval, not pure ratings." checked. And my AI player evaluation options are:

Hopefully, Markus can look into improving the AI in this area and let us know what to do in the meantime to help the AI not make these choices.
OK, the 0% ratings weight is never a good idea IMO.

In your case, something caused the AI to place the guy on the 40-man roster and hence he got a minimum salary major league contract. Now, since the guy does not have great current ratings, and roster shuffling happened, he eventually got waived & DFA'ed, and picked off waivers. Then the same thing happened again.

I just ran a test simulation again, and did not have something like this happen. So, I suggest you set the ratings AI setting to at least 30%.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post

In your case, something caused the AI to place the guy on the 40-man roster and hence he got a minimum salary major league contract. Now, since the guy does not have great current ratings, and roster shuffling happened, he eventually got waived & DFA'ed, and picked off waivers. Then the same thing happened again.

I just ran a test simulation again, and did not have something like this happen. So, I suggest you set the ratings AI setting to at least 30%.
Thanks, Markus. Now that I've stolen several teams best draft picks and improved my team enough so that other teams have a worse record and are now benefiting, it's time to close this loophole.

Someone rattle The Wolf's cage. As I understood Stats Only(TM), you set the ratings weight to 0 and used ... ahem ... stats only. What do the Stats Only(TM) zealots do prevent the draft pick waived problem?

Last edited by Bobble; 05-07-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #25
DustinthePOWERHOUSE
All Star Reserve

What's the default setting for ratings weight?

"It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am"- Ali

Wladimir Klitschko will DESTROY you.
DustinthePOWERHOUSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post

Markus could you possibly elaborate a bit more on this? Why is 0 not a good idea?

Tks
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #27
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

1st Round pick release - Still a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinthePOWERHOUSE View Post
What's the default setting for ratings weight?
I think it's 40% ratings, 40% current, 10% for the 2 past years.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks, Markus. Now that I've stolen several teams best draft picks and improved my team enough so that other teams have a worse record and are now benefiting, it's time to close this loophole.

Someone rattle The Wolf's cage. As I understood Stats Only(TM), you set the ratings weight to 0 and used ... ahem ... stats only. What do the Stats Only(TM) zealots do prevent the draft pick waived problem?
Bobble you just took a swing at the bee hive....watch out! LOL!!!!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #29
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think one of the most important thing for stats only is running feeder leagues. (Kids would have more than just 1 year of stat history) I tried the 0/67/22/11 settings before (without feeders) and had the waiver problem but I got turned off from it because I would see guys who would come off a great season while having 2 terrible previous seasons sign to huge long term contracts (at age 30+) while other guys who had great seasons in the past come off a terrible season not being valued by the AI at all.

I guess 0/34/33/33 would fix that problem but my other beef was that if a prospect had really good college stats, then he would immediately get called up to the show the same year he was drafted..So that is why I eventually settle at 25% even along with many other tests to confirm my needs.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 05-07-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #30
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I think it's 40% ratings, 40% current, 10% for the 2 past years.
Default = 25, 50, 20, 5
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #31
cblacker
Major Leagues

I'm not an expert on this at all, but keep in mind that just because you are playing "stats only" doesn't mean the AI needs to be playing "stats only."
cblacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #32
Jordan
All Star Starter

Thanks for this thread Bobble and thanks for endgame and Markus and others who test this game out. Rather have you guys than the stiffs at EA. No hiding with this company
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #33
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Depending on the league, I have my 40-man roster set at 70 or turned off completely, thereby avoiding the issue.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:24 PM   #34
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashantewarrier View Post
Bobble you just took a swing at the bee hive....watch out! LOL!!!!
No, he didn't. This is a problem which I do not have.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #35
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
I would see guys who would come off a great season while having 2 terrible previous seasons sign to huge long term contracts (at age 30+) while other guys who had great seasons in the past come off a terrible season not being valued by the AI at all.
And you never see this happen in real baseball? How many guys have had a great season that just happened to be the last one of their current contract, got a fat new one, and then reverted? How many veterans have had a bad year and been cut when they still had something left?

Sounds like real baseball to me. Without being able to peek at ratings, you have to make your best guess about what's going on. Just like a real GM does.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:07 PM   #36
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
And you never see this happen in real baseball? How many guys have had a great season that just happened to be the last one of their current contract, got a fat new one, and then reverted? How many veterans have had a bad year and been cut when they still had something left?

Sounds like real baseball to me. Without being able to peek at ratings, you have to make your best guess about what's going on. Just like a real GM does.
I disagree. Yes it happens IRL but it was a trend in my test league. I find it hard to believe that multiple guys who have been an all-stars or had good years as every day players in the past would end up DFA'd and sent to the minors with multiple years left on their contracts just because they hit .220 for that 1 year.

Not to mention guys on the top 100 prospects list being cut do to struggling in the minors for that 1 year.

Imo, I don't think that setting really works in a modern day MLB setup. I mean there was a reason for you to turn off 40 man roster right?
Old 05-07-2013, 11:20 PM   #37
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

I only play it in fictional. One if the leagues has both the 40-man rule and finances turned off.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:21 PM   #38
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

"It's your game, play it your way."

Old 05-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #39
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
And you never see this happen in real baseball? How many guys have had a great season that just happened to be the last one of their current contract, got a fat new one, and then reverted?
There's a SABR study on that. See: The Baseball Research Journal Vol. 35, "Do Players Outperform in a Walk Season?" by Phil Birnbaum.

(Quite a few of the past issues of The Baseball Research Journal can be downloaded for free from the SABR web site. Numerous past issues of SABR's The National Pastime can also be downloaded free of charge.)

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 05-08-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 AM   #40
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
There's a SABR study on that. See: The Baseball Research Journal Vol. 35, "Do Players Outperform in a Walk Season?" by Phil Birnbaum.

(Quite a few of the past issues of The Baseball Research Journal can be downloaded for free from the SABR web site. Numerous past issues of SABR's The National Pastime can also be downloaded free of charge.)
And what does it say?