Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #1
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

1st Round pick release - Still a problem

I know this has been a problem in the past with OOTP. We're aware it's still happening, right? The player is currently on waivers for the third time this year and being claimed by the craptastic Mariners. 2013 All-in-One MLB league.
Attached Images

Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
wsmithd
Bat Boy

I agree with this. Some off-seasons I can pick up two or three 4.5-5 star potential players who have been released within a year or two of drafting. I also notice my own draft picks occasionally getting released. One player I have just won the triple crown, and he was released by San Francisco after three years in their international complex then a few decent months in A ball. I think the minor league AI GMs need to weigh potential more heavily when making roster moves.

Last edited by wsmithd; 05-02-2013 at 10:54 PM.
wsmithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

This is the part of the AI I never understand. No human would ever put this guy on the 40 that soon. It looks like the AI is still doing some questionable things with players like moving guys who just got drafted all the way to the MLB or putting them on the 40 man just because they score in the top 40 and the AI wants to keep the 40 man at 40.

Ok maybe a few humans would. Ryan Scott Wagner from my Alma mater did make the big leagues the same year he was drafted ('02) but it is very rare. IIRC, the Reds were in desperate need of arms that year. Still unless the guy is going to play and make an impact in the majors no team should start the clock by putting a guy on the 40 man until he is ready for the big leagues. It is almost unheard of for a new draft pick to be on the 40 man.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
elfsutton
All Star Reserve

That is one reason I never use the 40 man roster, never have those types of issues.
elfsutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Are more people than just Bobbie seeing this in OOTP14?

I logged an official bug report but we'll probably need some confirmation from others that this is an issue.

Not doubting you Bobbie, in fact I believe you and am concerned enough to file the report, which doesn't happen for every little problem someone posts. Just need to know how common this is.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
This is the part of the AI I never understand. No human would ever put this guy on the 40 that soon. It looks like the AI is still doing some questionable things with players like moving guys who just got drafted all the way to the MLB or putting them on the 40 man just because they score in the top 40 and the AI wants to keep the 40 man at 40.

Ok maybe a few humans would. Ryan Scott Wagner from my Alma mater did make the big leagues the same year he was drafted ('02) but it is very rare. IIRC, the Reds were in desperate need of arms that year. Still unless the guy is going to play and make an impact in the majors no team should start the clock by putting a guy on the 40 man until he is ready for the big leagues. It is almost unheard of for a new draft pick to be on the 40 man.
Is it a 40-man problem, then? So, it probably can't be solved by increasing the 40-man to, say, 42-man then, eh? Crap.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

This is why I use AI evaluation. This was the first problem I encountered when I first got the game last year and since switch to AI evaluation, I never seen this problem. I see a lot of last round draft picks getting cut after a year in the minors instead of prospects.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
endgame
Hall Of Famer

I can tell you now, he'll need league files. So if you have a recent occurence that can aptly demonstrate the problem- which, btw, has not appeared in testing -please send them for evaluation.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
This is why I use AI evaluation. This was the first problem I encountered when I first got the game last year and since switch to AI evaluation, I never seen this problem. I see a lot of last round draft picks getting cut after a year in the minors instead of prospects.
Everyone uses AI Evaluation, it's part of your league setup.

What do you have yours set at?

Or am I misunderstanding you, and you're saying you don't use scouting?
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post

He means using a check mark under Global Setup > Rating Scales
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
I can tell you now, he'll need league files. So if you have a recent occurence that can aptly demonstrate the problem- which, btw, has not appeared in testing -please send them for evaluation.
Yeah, this.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post

As far as I know "Overall rating based on AI Evaluation, not pure rating" is not checked by default.

I have that option checked with my percentages set to 25% even.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:35 PM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

What are the roster limits on the lowest minor leagues? That's generally been a trigger. Since I removed roster limits many versions ago the issue has never re-occurred.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:40 PM   #14
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
As far as I know "Overall rating based on AI Evaluation, not pure rating" is not checked by default.

I've never had this problem and FWIW I also have this checked. I also have lowest minor roster limit at either 35 or 50. I also use ghost players and not full minor leagues.
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:

I saw this problem significantly less in OOTP13 once I had checked this checkbox as well. Going from 100% ratings to 25/25/25/25 made a major difference in this behavior. The AI still adds the draft picks to the 40-man immediately, but now the AI waives fringey middle relievers instead of their draft picks on the day after the draft.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #16
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

I often run long term tests which give me alerts when something unusual happens, for example a top prospect being released or waived. On default settings though, this has never happened to me in OOTP 14. So, something unique to your settings is likely the cause... I will need league files to have a look at it.

Trust me guys, the AI is terribly complex here and has plenty of safety checks so that it doesn't do stupid things. However, all the possible settings in OOTP result in infinite permutations which simply cannot be tested all, and every once in a while something like this indeed happens.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
The AI still adds the draft picks to the 40-man immediately ...
It really shouldn't be doing that since it means the draftee was given a major league contract. Few draftees in real life get such a contract.
Le Grande Orange is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #18
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
It really shouldn't be doing that since it means the draftee was given a major league contract. Few draftees in real life get such a contract.
I agree, but there was a combination of two problems leading to the waiver behavior back in OOTP13.

1) AI adds draftees to the 40-man roster immediately
2) AI then waives draftees to make room on the 40-man roster

After checking the AI evaluation of 25/25/25/25, problem #2 resolved itself, as the AI was not discarding the draftees immediately. It was still discarding other players due to issue #1, which was still an issue.

I can't speak to how OOTP14 is behaving until I upgrade my Modern MLB league, but I always start with my historical league when upgrading versions before putting my player development/drafting-heavy league at risk.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #19
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Are more people than just Bobbie seeing this in OOTP14?

I logged an official bug report but we'll probably need some confirmation from others that this is an issue.

Not doubting you Bobbie, in fact I believe you and am concerned enough to file the report, which doesn't happen for every little problem someone posts. Just need to know how common this is.
I saw it once, then maxed out the 40-man roster and have not seen it since.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Bobble
Hall Of Famer

I uploaded my league's .dat files to ootpsupport. It's called Bobble_FirstRoundDraftPickRelease.lg.zip.

I do have "Overall rating based on AI eval, not pure ratings." checked. And my AI player evaluation options are:

Hopefully, Markus can look into improving the AI in this area and let us know what to do in the meantime to help the AI not make these choices.