Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
buffalo_pete
Minors (Single A)

Trying to install mods crashes the game

This is kind of a sequel to this thread, I guess.

The Steam workshop didn't work at all for me, so I got a refund and bought the standalone game. I thought my troubles were over, but I was wrong.

I can go into add-ons manager, add a new server (ootpmods.com), the list of mods appears, I can download (in this case the 2016_AIO mod), but as soon as I click INSTALL the game crashes. Interestingly enough, if I restart the game and try to install the mod again, I get what looks like the normal success message, except that it "Successfully installed 0 files." If I click Re-Install, the game crashes again.

Looking in my /addons/downloads, I see 2016_AIO.tgz, which looks legit (at least it's the right size), and also an empty file named 2016_AIO.tar.

FWIW I'm on Linux if that makes a difference.

Anyone know where to go from here? This is getting frustrating. I've owned the game for a week and logged 0 hours of play time.

Last edited by buffalo_pete; 07-02-2016 at 01:22 PM.
buffalo_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

.tgz is just an archive. find an app that can extract the data... it's probably already organized for you inside just like the "ootp\data" directory. (whatever linux equivalent is...)

look it over... then, drag all the contents inside the .tgz archive file to the ootp data folder, if it is all the same directory structures inside the .tgz. click yes to replace any duplicates. as long as the files go to the proper spot it's installed.

since this is not the typical way, make a backup of your ootp game... make use of that unpacker and zip it up into an archive - zero compression for speed (store only). tgz and tar are both just archives... you can unpack either one easily as long as there is no password protection/encryption.

based on "...also an empty file named 2016_AIO.tar." you may not have let it download long enough, or there was a problem during downloading. 2 different file extensions is odd, too. did you try to get them from 2 different places? (rhetorical) oops.. does it say "filename.tar.gz" = tgz.

i didn't read this over, but google can help, if this linke wasn't good info for you:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fileex...f/tgz-file.htm

Last edited by NoOne; 07-02-2016 at 01:50 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #3
buffalo_pete
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
.tgz is just an archive. find an app that can extract the data... it's probably already organized for you inside just like the "ootp\data" directory. (whatever linux equivalent is...)

look it over... then, drag all the contents inside the .tgz archive file to the ootp data folder, if it is all the same directory structures inside the .tgz. click yes to replace any duplicates. as long as the files go to the proper spot it's installed.
This works, thanks.

Quote:
since this is not the typical way, make a backup of your ootp game
I had not yet started a game, so this was not an issue.

Quote:
based on "...also an empty file named 2016_AIO.tar." you may not have let it download long enough, or there was a problem during downloading. 2 different file extensions is odd, too. did you try to get them from 2 different places? (rhetorical) oops.. does it say "filename.tar.gz" = tgz.
The downloaded file is good, as I extracted it manually without issue. The ghost file 2016_AIO.tar appears in /addons/downloads when I try to install the mod via add-ons manager, which leads me to think that it's something in the extraction process that's crashing the game.
buffalo_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

cool beans

and i meant the ootp game diretory, not a league.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote