Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 09-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
gwbicster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

How do I...

Hey people. Have had the game since May, played a few seasons, love it, looking to do more.

Can anyone tell me how I might set the game up to do the following:

A "fantasy" type season, with a draft, where the players come randomly from different eras. So in other words, instead of starting with a specific season where the entire league worth of players is dispersed in an initial fantasy draft, having the initial fantasy draft comprised of players chosen from random seasons. So I can have a league with Mike Schmidt, Honus Wagner, Bryce Harper, or whoever the computer randomly chooses for the player pool, all playing at the same time.

Is it possible? And if so, how might I set it up?

Thanks in advance.

gwbicster
gwbicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwbicster View Post
Hey people. Have had the game since May, played a few seasons, love it, looking to do more.

Can anyone tell me how I might set the game up to do the following:

A "fantasy" type season, with a draft, where the players come randomly from different eras. So in other words, instead of starting with a specific season where the entire league worth of players is dispersed in an initial fantasy draft, having the initial fantasy draft comprised of players chosen from random seasons. So I can have a league with Mike Schmidt, Honus Wagner, Bryce Harper, or whoever the computer randomly chooses for the player pool, all playing at the same time.

Is it possible? And if so, how might I set it up?

Thanks in advance.

gwbicster

Yes.

-Use the wizard to create a new game.
-Select "create historical league"
-Pick whatever year you want to start in. This will also effect the setup, so if you want to start with the teams and financials from, say, 1934, select 1934.
-Click "Use random players from all eras instead of real rosters"
-I'd recommend using no minor leagues to keep thins easy.
-Make sure inaugural fantasy draft is checked.
-Also, if you aren't using minor leagues, I'd go to the advanced mode and then, under options, change the draft settings to five rounds and have it create a draft pool for six rounds.
-If you want the teams and financials to stay the same, uncheck anything that says it will automatically adjust this or that.
-You should be good to go from there.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
gwbicster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thank you so much, one more question

Regarding the draft pool...

I chose 2014 as my starting year (want to use modern day rules and number of teams.) However I didn't see the advanced part where you can set the draft pool.

Since I have no minor leagues, wouldn't I want to have the draft for 25-30 players to be able to fill out all the teams? And where exactly is this option located? I didn't see it, and so it looks to me like I don't really have enough players to be able to field a competitive roster for 30 teams.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:27 PM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Regarding the draft pool...

I chose 2014 as my starting year (want to use modern day rules and number of teams.) However I didn't see the advanced part where you can set the draft pool.

Since I have no minor leagues, wouldn't I want to have the draft for 25-30 players to be able to fill out all the teams? And where exactly is this option located? I didn't see it, and so it looks to me like I don't really have enough players to be able to field a competitive roster for 30 teams.
You can still set the number of rounds for your draft even if you've already created your league. Should be under rules...upper right side of screen.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

You may want to set injuries to low or very low to start out, since teams won't have a ton of extra players.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:33 PM   #6
gwbicster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I know that I can set the number of rounds, but what I'm referrring to is setting the total number of players in the pool...

I've only drafted a couple of the rounds so far but it looks to me like there's really only enough players for each team to have only like 1 or 2 above average players, and a very large number of scrubs.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #7
baseballonly
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I know that I can set the number of rounds, but what I'm referrring to is setting the total number of players in the pool...

I've only drafted a couple of the rounds so far but it looks to me like there's really only enough players for each team to have only like 1 or 2 above average players, and a very large number of scrubs.
Yeah, set the # of rounds of the initial draft to 30.

I'm talking about for the rookie drafts. I think it's under league settings>options and somewhere on the right side of the screen. Only for the rookie drafts though. Otherwise, you'll be getting top talent even in the 6th round.
baseballonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:43 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh, I misunderstood. You can't change the number of players the game imports for the inaugural draft. (Hoping that Markus adds this in the future). One thing you can do is, restructure your league making it smaller. I'm currently playing a random debut league starting in 1946. I have a 12 team setup, 1 subleague. Deleting 4 teams, allowed me to have a deeper draft and enough players to handle the normal injury setting.

Last edited by David Watts; 09-03-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
gwbicster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

But there's no way to increase the pool in the initial draft? It seems like there should be more, better, players. And, it also seems like most of the players in the draft are a bit older. Not too many younger players.

I guess maybe I need to run a season or two and allow talent to come in via the rookie drafts.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:54 PM   #10
gwbicster
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Oh, I misunderstood. You can't change the number of players the game imports for the inaugural draft. (Hoping that Markus adds this in the future). One thing you can do is, restructure your league making it smaller. I'm currently playing random debut a random debut league starting in 1946. I have a 12 team setup, 1 subleague. Deleting 4 teams, allowed me to have a deeper draft and enough players to handle the normal injury setting.
OK I understand, thank you. I remember when I started my historical league in 1927, that my first year or two was really thin. That was exacerbated by choosing a 17 year old Jimmy Foxx and an 18 year old Mel Ott with my first two picks. It was slim pickings for the first couple years, but I then proceeded to win like 10 out of the next 12 World Series so it was more than OK, lol.

Thanks to you both for your help. This is a lot of fun!