Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - New to the Game?

OOTP 16 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 08-08-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Hashtagone
Bat Boy

Baseball

Hey Folks,

I'm from Germany and like this game and Baseball. But it's very hard for me to read the statistics or i dont know what i should do in the game or which Players i should Draft or Put in the roster. So is there a tutorial for this?

I know the Rules and i think i have a generally understanding of this game.
Hashtagone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 01:22 AM   #2
Peregrine
All Star Reserve

This was a similar thread a while back and some helpful resources are here.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...how-start.html
Old 08-09-2015, 05:44 AM   #3
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

As someone who was in exactly that spot less than five years ago, I can really recommend two or three things:

1) Watch baseball. MLB.tv requires a paid subscription, but there's frequently a free game that can be watched without a subscription. It will be confusing at first*, but you will get the knack of it after a while. Free games are announced in advance in the MLB.tv media center: Media Center | MLB.com: Multimedia

Granted, for us poor, flogged German souls the starting times will regularly be rather unfortunate.

If this fails, there's always Youtube. There are a couple of people out there uploading old games. If you need a hint what to search for, hit me with a PM.

2) Play the game. Play the game, make mind-bogglingly stupid errors, and learn from them. My first baseball game was an older abandonware version of PureSim Baseball where I played a 2008 MLB quickstart with the Mets. Three weeks into the season I traded a .160 batting David Wright for Casey Blake. Ya, try to top that for stupidity!

4 1/2 years and some 3,500 hours of baseball games later, I'm still not any good at it, but I manage to scrape through.

Pro hint: the "cannot be fired" box in the manager settings should be ticked at all times if you're new. Or even if you suck, like I do.

3) Free extra tip: OOTP and MLB.tv are greatly supportive of another, and are a charm if opened at the same time. The evening flies by.

*My first MLB.tv game was a free weekday night contest with the Mets playing in Atlanta, an R.A. Dickey start in June 2011. The Mets actually managed to lose that in extra innings on a walk-off balk. Not that I had any clue of what a balk was at that time. You watch, you learn.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
Hashtagone
Bat Boy

Yeah Thanks for your Replies. Today i played 2 games. The First game was an exhibition game against a low level team, which i won. But here i didnt make any moves everything was done by the sim. The second game was the First spring Training game. I lost this game 2-0. Here i Pressed the Buttons by myself. 😯

If i Start a Season without drafting players where can I read which Player should stand on which position?
Old 08-09-2015, 04:39 PM   #5
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

When you open a player profile, it should look something like this (hopefully, unless you open Minesweeper).

The second block in the top row has the defensive ratings. These show the player's abilities (range, error, arm) and how these translate into positions (with experience factoring into that, however). So, Clyde Brady here has decent defensive abilities, between 11 and 13 on a 20 scale. He is quite good in leftfield, a bit less so in rightfield, and not really good in centerfield. He has appeared at first base at some point in his life.

He is weaker in right than in left because his arm is only an 11. Rightfield demands a better arm than leftfield. The centerfield rating is only a 5, but from his abilities it should be a bit higher, maybe an 8, but he has never really played a lot there.

It works similarly for infielders, but they also have a double play rating. Primarily, middle infielders (second baseman and shortstop) should have high range and high double play ratings. Being sure-handed (errors) helps a good deal. The arm rating works like between left- and rightfielders. Since most of the time on a ground ball, the out has to be made at first base, the further a player is positioned away from first base, the better his arm needs to be.

So, Yoshi Yamada here is a quirky little guy and fantastic defensive shortstop (defensive, since he can't hit a lick). He would be about as adept at second base if he had more experience there. Despite high range, which is also important at third base (the "hot corner"), he has only an 11 arm, and that is not enough to perform very well at the position. He would be able to hold down first base as well, but he has no experience there and you want other players to play first base anyway.

Catchers should just catch and be left alone.

There's a thing to be said about batting ratings as well, but generally, the primary position set by the game is often not far from the best option. F.e., the game will not put an immobile, clumsy first baseman into centerfield.

Also, at times you will have to make compromises. Yamada here is a compromise, playing shortstop every day despite pathetic batting for being a minimum salary player for a team that was never going to do anything but finish last anyway. He can also run like the devil and is in the hunt for the single season stolen base record in this league.

However, while Yamada is a perfect fit for my pathetic Raccoons, he would at best be a backup player on a team actually intent on winning games. If you can find a guy that bats .300 and is only a 12 shortstop, take him, it will get you further, but of course that .300 batting shortstop will cost more money etc....

There is rarely an easy answer in baseball.
Attached Images
Image Image 

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 12:13 AM   #6
battists
Hall Of Famer

That was awesome Westheim.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #7
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtagone View Post
Hey Folks,

I'm from Germany and like this game and Baseball. But it's very hard for me to read the statistics or i dont know what i should do in the game or which Players i should Draft or Put in the roster. So is there a tutorial for this?

I know the Rules and i think i have a generally understanding of this game.
Stop by and see Markus & Co. Still think that it is odd that the best baseball game ever is created by a German, were they dont even really play baseball.
Youtube has some good OOTP tutorials if no one else mentioned them.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
Hashtagone
Bat Boy

Thanks Westheim :-)

@The Game

Can you give me a good one?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtagone View Post
Thanks Westheim :-)

@The Game

Can you give me a good one?
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=ootp+tutorial
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
Crimguy
Minors (Triple A)

Keep in mind that baseball is very much an individual game. While managing is clearly important, in most situations during a game it comes down to whether a batter can actually hit the ball thrown at him, to a place where the other team isn't ;-)
Crimguy is offline   Reply With Quote