Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
ohiodevil
OOTP Roster Team

Interesting turn of events

I was in the bidding war for this guy, an international free agent from Cuba. He ended up signing with Pittsburgh:

Quote:
Star C Ramírez Settles on Pittsburgh: The euphoria surrounding a big name deal can sometimes overshadow the deal itself. Occasionally a team will mortgage its future to make a big splash, though no one in Pittsburgh was worried about that today as the club finalized terms with Jorge Ramírez.

Ramírez will earn $13,200,000 per year over 4 years.
Just six days later:

Quote:
Ramírez Hanging Up Cleats In Favor of Golf Shoes: Jorge Ramírez has decided to quit baseball and pursue a career as a professional golfer. The Pirates catcher, who was a standout linksman in college, barely missed out on a PGA tour exemption in Q-School last year. Now that his career has stalled in the minors and Ramírez says he's ready for another career change. "Baseball will always be my first love, but I just don't see myself having the same amount of success as I would playing golf." Ramírez will attempt to qualify for the Nationwide Tour next season in the hopes of obtaining a PGA tour card.
ohiodevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I saw that one too, once. It was on a guy I'd signed, too.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
aquapong
Major Leagues

Me too. I signed a 1st round pick for $5 mil and he turned around a few weeks later and retired because his poor heart wasn't in it. I wanted to send some goons to his house to get my $5 million back, but I don't think that's a feature included in this version.
aquapong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Ts-Rock
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiodevil View Post
I was in the bidding war for this guy, an international free agent from Cuba. He ended up signing with Pittsburgh:

Just six days later:
wow, bummer! but at same time exciting

2010 114-48, World Series Champions
2011 109-53, 1st Rd Loss to N.F.
2012. 96-66, 1st Rd Loss to L.A.
2013 112-50, World Series Champions
2014 119-43, World Series Champions
2015 124-38, World Series Champions
2016 111-51, LCS Loss to L.A.
2017 110-52, World Series Champions
2018 101-61, 1st Rd Loss to Baffin Island
2019. 98-64, LCS Loss to Baffin Island
2020 103-59,
Ts-Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 02:06 AM   #5
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Yes, very exciting and very realistic.....who the heck is going to walk away from a 13 million a year contract to play golf?.....and a Cuban to boot.....just where did he nearly earn his PGA card last year?......I didn't realize the PGA had qualifying events in Havana......

this is why I have storylines off.....crap like this just blows all suspension of disbelief out my window.....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
MrSmooth
Minors (Single A)

I personally think storylines are incredible. They aren't made for exact replicas of our world, in the OOTP universe it is plausible.

And not realistic for people to walk away from money? A number of athletes have chosen to play a sport where they would not make as much money up front to play another one.

With the influence of agents how stories of drafted players refusing to sign have their been in hopes of getting even more money? What has happened to several? They ended up not making nearly as much and flaming out in the independent leagues. So it is quite possible.
MrSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

I left storylines on in my game. I rationalized it in my mind as that, instead of the golf thing, he went back to Cuba after rumors abounded that his family would be harmed if he played in the USA. Or something like that. It's been a couple game years since then.
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote