Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 06-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
$279 laptop that will run OOTP 14

https://deals.bestbuy.com//give+big+...e++satin+black Toshiba laptops are quality, and you can add memory easily.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.

Last edited by The Wolf; 06-02-2013 at 01:36 PM.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Cras
Hall Of Famer

Toshiba laptops are not quality, not in my experience. They tend to forget that electronics need to be cooled. The last one I had only lasted about half as long as I wanted because the heat cooked the thing to death.
2000, 2005, 2008 American League Central Division Champions
1983, 1993 American League West Division Champions

OOTP | Orbiter | SSMS | FSX | LoL | MLP:FIM!
Cras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Toshiba Satellite C655 has been fine for me for quite a while now.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
conception
All Star Starter

I had a Toshiba that last me a good 6-7 years before I replaced it, and it's use was being lugged around while I was in college, so it didn't have the most protected experience.

I did get a later model Toshiba for my wife, however, that had the aforementioned cooling problems. There was certainly a body/model type of theirs that was an issue in this regard.
conception is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
MUFC1878
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
Toshiba Satellite C655 has been fine for me for quite a while now.
I have the same model. Not problems so far as well. Doesn't overheat.
MUFC1878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
r0nster
Hall Of Famer

I had a Toshiba Satilite laptop too for several years and it was a Vista laptop. I loved it. Yes it needed a better cooling system but I just lifted laptop back end up a bit to give it a bigger vent as to not have heat trapped. My laptop BIOS chip blew which meant I had to buy a new laptop and now I got a HP laptop windows 8 (new coke yep) however there is a few nice things I like about it but I had very little issues with Vista GRRR shame that chip blew.
r0nster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0nster View Post
es it needed a better cooling system but I just lifted laptop back end up a bit to give it a bigger vent as to not have heat trapped.
These are words for laptop users to live by. I have a hardcover book about 2" thick that I always use to prop up the back of my laptop. The cooling benefits are surprisingly big. It's a simple procedure that can seriously improve your lappy's longevity.

I wonder though how well a laptop like this Toshiba can handle OOTP. I have a pretty powerful desktop -- overclocked i7 and 16GB RAM -- that for the most part is very quick with OOTP, but there are times when even it chugs. Accidentally hitting the "League Positional Strength" tab makes me sad, as my computer grinds through that for 60 seconds. And as more and more seasons go by, the more cpu crunching and performance slowdown.

Not to go off topic, but for ootp game options, what are the biggest performance killers? The "Make sure you have X disabled if you don't want slow down?" ones -- ?
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:27 PM   #8
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman2575 View Post
These are words for laptop users to live by. I have a hardcover book about 2" thick that I always use to prop up the back of my laptop. The cooling benefits are surprisingly big. It's a simple procedure that can seriously improve your lappy's longevity.
So does a puff of compressed air into the cooling vents once in a while.
Quote:
I wonder though how well a laptop like this Toshiba can handle OOTP.
I'm not sure if you are talking about Wolf's model, or mine that I mentioned above, but I run OOTP 14 with 4GB RAM (I think, I gotta check tonight but I know it's not 16GB - What else do you do with that monster? Achieving world peace or something? ) and I have seen no performance problems. Could it be faster simming through a season? Sure, but not to the extent that its current speed bothers me.
Quote:
Not to go off topic, but for ootp game options, what are the biggest performance killers? The "Make sure you have X disabled if you don't want slow down?" ones -- ?
Aside from the number of leagues and teams in your universe, the next thing that immediately comes to mind are the level and detail of the stats that you are keeping.

- Bru

Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
sandman2575
Minors (Triple A)

16GB is overkill, I freely admit. I guess I've just been surprised that now that I am a couple of seasons into my custom league (which is just based on the 30-team MLB scheme, with the full MLB minors system), I have been noticing slow-down in the performance. Probably I'm just spoiled. When I think about all the data ootp needs to process just to complete a single day of simulation, it is pretty jaw-dropping that it can be done as quickly as it can.

I'm pretty sure I'm saving high details on the stats, and probably some reports that don't need to be saved. I'll disable some of that and see if I get improvement.
sandman2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 05:29 PM   #10
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

OOTP 14 runs just fine on a 4GB laptop.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:05 PM   #11
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Eventuallybany company may have a bad product. Its just luck that you dont get the one that the best technicians were on vacation and that intern with a bad attitude installed yo the components on your laptop that day. Its just a crapshoot. But an expensive one.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

The Dell factory in Austin used mechanical assembly.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
OOTP 14 runs just fine on a 4GB laptop.
And thank goodness for that because 4GB is what I have, I just verified. Now to move things along in the American Baseball League . . .

- Bru

Old 06-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Didnt Holyroller work for Dell? I thought he mentioned it once or twice.
My favorite is still Toshiba. Dell sort of strikes me as the KMart of computers now.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote