Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 02-27-2020, 02:00 PM   #1
Crazyjoe0813
Minors (Single A)

Fictional League with Real Players

I tried to see if it was talked about anywhere before posting another thread but I couldn't find it anywhere. Is it going to be any easier to start up a fictional league but to use real players by importing the player pool from a certain year?
Crazyjoe0813 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 02:10 PM   #2
Boomcoach
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyjoe0813 View Post
I tried to see if it was talked about anywhere before posting another thread but I couldn't find it anywhere. Is it going to be any easier to start up a fictional league but to use real players by importing the player pool from a certain year?
That would be sooo cool! I have wanted to be able to do that for years.

Let's Go Crew
Boomcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

This used to be so easy prior to OOTP17. then it became a huge pain in the ass. Of course, back then, if you started a historical league and a certain player was missing that year, that player would simply never show up in your league. For example, if you started in 1944, Ted Williams was never going to be in your league. This was a bummer, but easy to deal with, because you simply knew not to start in 1944 if you wanted the Ted Williams experience. But, what the pre-OOTP17 offered by not bringing a player like Williams back is, the ability to start with any year in history, erase all history, relocated teams, rename teams, delete teams, add teams etc. and completely create a fictional league using real players. This all went out the door when with 17.

This is mainly what drew me into random debut. With random debut, I can use real players, but completely fictionalize my league to my liking.

I so wish the players returning could be a user option. If I want player to appear if they resume their career after my league forms, I choose yes. If I don't, I would be able to start a historical league in 1975, erase all history, rename teams, relocate teams, delete teams etc, and would never have to worry about Minnie Minoso showing up in 1976 with 17 years worth of stats.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-27-2020 at 03:36 PM.
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:17 PM   #4
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Just start an historical league and edit the team names. Release all players and hold a draft.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:49 PM   #5
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooleyvol View Post
Just start an historical league and edit the team names. Release all players and hold a draft.
I don't know about the OP, but in my case, the reason that won't work is since the league is fictional, I want the league to start with zero stats/zero history.
Old 02-27-2020, 09:50 PM   #6
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
You can clear the history and stats though.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #7
T-Bone
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I don't know about the OP, but in my case, the reason that won't work is since the league is fictional, I want the league to start with zero stats/zero history.
I do this. It is a pain in the neck because you need to make sure all your "rookies" have no history. If they do, you will need to delete them for the rest of their careers.
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:14 PM   #8
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
You can clear the history and stats though.
Sure you can. Go create a historical league in 1921. Clear the history and stats. Then play the season. Proceed through the off season to the 1922 preseason. Now go check your leagues historical leaderboard. I doubt you will enjoy what you see. You know why? Johnny Evers didn't play from 1918-1921. He returns to the league in 1922. When Evers returns to your OOTP league he will do so with all his career stats. So, the majority of your league will have one years play worth of stats. Johnny Evers will have 16 years of stats. What a stud.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-28-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Sure you can. Go create a historical league in 1921. Clear the history and stats. Then play the season. Proceed through the off season to the 1922 preseason. Now go check your leagues historical leaderboard. I doubt you will enjoy what you see. You know why? Johnny Evers didn't play from 1918-1921. He returns to the league in 1922. When Evers returns to your OOTP league he will do so with all his career stats. So, the majority of your league will have one years play worth of stats. Johnny Evers will have 16 years of stats. What a stud.
If you choose to import complete league history, then hiatus players with previous ML experience (or any retired player) will also import, such as Evers in your case, so you won't have 35-year old hall of fame calibre rookies.

Also, you can edit league structure for historical leagues, though only after the league has already been created. I liked running historical league with reduced numbers of teams, to have an overall stronger player pool. (make sure to disable automatic expansion so the teams don't show up again) There could be some minor issues, though, with some of the stat modifiers and AI management from the extra free agents, but that's fine with me.
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #10
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoiles View Post
If you choose to import complete league history, then hiatus players with previous ML experience (or any retired player) will also import, such as Evers in your case, so you won't have 35-year old hall of fame calibre rookies.

Also, you can edit league structure for historical leagues, though only after the league has already been created. I liked running historical league with reduced numbers of teams, to have an overall stronger player pool. (make sure to disable automatic expansion so the teams don't show up again) There could be some minor issues, though, with some of the stat modifiers and AI management from the extra free agents, but that's fine with me.
I don't want to import full history. I want to erase all history and create a fictional world using real players. But, I can't do so if the Johnny Ever or any other player that missed a the import year, comes into my 1 year old league with 16+ years worth of stats. If Evers were to simply return with zero stats things would be lovely. But, having a player import into a 1 year old league with 1600+ hits is not doable.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-28-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

You can just erase the entire player stats and/or league history, right? Evers will will already be in the league and you would already have erased his stats, so you don't have to worry about him importing again.

The only caveat here is if he never signs with anyone, he might be deleted by the game, and might be reimported AGAIN. I've seen this happen, where a player never gets signed or plays any games, retires in the game before IRL, gets deleted, then gets reimported with real stats.

That's partially why I made a request in the suggestions board of OOTP 20 to have an option to never delete any players at all.
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #12
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoiles View Post
You can just erase the entire player stats and/or league history, right? Evers will will already be in the league and you would already have erased his stats, so you don't have to worry about him importing again.

The only caveat here is if he never signs with anyone, he might be deleted by the game, and might be reimported AGAIN. I've seen this happen, where a player never gets signed or plays any games, retires in the game before IRL, gets deleted, then gets reimported with real stats.

That's partially why I made a request in the suggestions board of OOTP 20 to have an option to never delete any players at all.

I think we are going around in circles

The OP in this thread asked if it will be easier to create a fictional league with real players using OOTP21. This is something that really interests me, as I used to do this a lot prior to OOTP17.

For me, if I'm creating a fictional league with real players, I don't want to start the league with any history, with any stats whatsoever. I want the league to start with zeroes across the board. So it's extremely important that I'm able to erase all history.

AND YES, THE GAME DOES ALLOW THE USER TO ERASE ALL HISTORY. I'M NOT QUESTIONING THAT AT ALL.

The problem is, erasing history doesn't do any good if players that missed a season return to the league with all their real life stats. If I start in 1921, Johnny Evers is going to appear in my league in 1922 with all his real life stats. So the league has one year worth of stats. Johnny Evers has 15+ years worth of stats.

Now sure, I can start in 1922 and that solves the Johnny Evers problem. Problem is, did another player miss 1922 and return in 1923. The players returning with their full load of stats are like buried land mines just waiting to blow up your league.

If I start a league in 1972. I could play 4 full seasons before the Minnie Minoso bomb goes off.

Erasing all stats/history is not the problem. Players returning with all their stats is what makes creating a fictional league with real players so hard. If one doesn't mind using the real MLB history with their fictional league the process is easy. But, that isn't my cup of tea. So, I play random debut instead. With random debut, I can easily create a fictional league with real players.

Now, one way around the whole players returning thing is to start your league in the 1800's and fast sim ahead. Then erase all history/stats. That way there's zero chance you started your league when a player was absent. But, the question posed in this thread was, will it be easier to create fictional leagues with real players. I don't find simming 80 some years easy in order to start my league in 1947.

Last edited by David Watts; 02-28-2020 at 04:47 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #13
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

David Watts- I just want to go on record as saying that while I am generally anti-bomb, the Minnie Minoso bomb sounds like a bomb I could fully support.

(Or the Bombo Rivera bomb. Yessiree, that's the kind of bomb for me.)

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:08 PM   #14
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Clear history.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Clear history.
LOL. Like talking to a brick wall. I've already explained multiple times why that doesn't work. But, hey you know best. Thanks.
Old 02-28-2020, 07:31 PM   #16
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

[ATTACH]Name:  brickwall_1921-10-14_17-26-46.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  301.7 KB[/ATTACH] Here are a couple screenshots. This league was created in 1921, Prior to the season I erased all history. One of the screenshots shows the league leaderboard and as you can see it's empty. The second screenshot is of the same leagues leaderboard following the 1921 World Series. As you can see it's the Johnny Evers show with a little Art Fletcher mixed in. Take a look at the pitching leaderboards So, is the advice still, clear history?
Attached Images

Last edited by David Watts; 02-28-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #17
Ktulu
Hall Of Famer

In a fictional league with real players wouldn’t you be importing the players as rookies?
Old 02-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #18
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
LOL. Like talking to a brick wall. I've already explained multiple times why that doesn't work. But, hey you know best. Thanks.
No, Meat, its just that I didn't read every post above. My apologies to you for wasting your time. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:56 AM   #19
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, Meat, its just that I didn't read every post above. My apologies to you for wasting your time. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Sorry, just got frustrated. Shouldn't have resorted to the brick wall bit. No excuse for that.
Old 02-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #20
italyprof
All Star Reserve

I agree with David, that what is needed is an option, maybe on the player's own page, to erase all their stats when they enter the league, and to have that cancellation of stats be reflected then in the league history.
italyprof is offline   Reply With Quote