Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-03-2020, 12:26 AM   #1
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

RIP Bob Gibson

Gone of pancreatic cancer tonight. One of the absolute best to ever pitch. Seaver, Brock, and now Gibson. Tough year for Cards' fans with the last two. I think I'll yield the floor to them, because this is a gut punch for them, and because I never saw him pitch. I'll just post a video of his 17 strikeout performance in Game 1 of the 1968 World Series against the Tigers, which happened exactly 52 years ago today, and an iconic picture that demonstrates his formidable mound presence. RIP, and condolences to his family and friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YldXACT668g

OOTP post re-FG IDs here: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...postcount=3198

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Instructions for the DB: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...07&postcount=9

actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:39 AM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Sad news. Great player.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:51 AM   #3
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Just heard a great story about his final appearance on September 3, 1975 from Bob Costas. It was a relief appearance, and the second last batter he faced in the seventh inning that day was Pete LaCock, who he gave up a two out grand slam to. He then retired Don Kessinger on a ground out to end the inning, and was replaced by Mike Wallace to start the eighth. About a decade later, at an old timers game at Wrigley, LaCock happened to be playing for the Cubs old timers team, and Gibson drilled him. Costas asked him about it later, and Gibson's response was: "Robert...The scales must be balanced...No matter how long it takes." Hahaha! Apparently LaCock wore it like a badge of honour. Different game back then eh?

My DB which restores Fed Leaguers here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZoN...B2GCcULxt/view

Last edited by actionjackson; 10-03-2020 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:54 AM   #4
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
He was so out of control with that windup and almost falls over on every pitch. It is amazing that he never tore something in his knee with how violent his delivery was.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:41 AM   #5
StLee
Hall Of Famer

I am not old enough to have ever seen him play, but when I was younger, I read a lot of baseball books. Football may be my favorite sport to watch, but baseball is poetry. I read every book I could get my hands on from the 1960s era of baseball. Gibson was my favorite of that era.

Gibson was the type of pitcher that got into the head of a hitter probably more than any other in baseball history. And when he didn't get into the batter's head, he threw near it, which then got into the batter's head.

David Halberstam's October 1964, about the seven-game thriller of a World Series between the Cardinals and Yankees, is my favorite baseball book about that era. Just Game Seven alone, where Gibson threw a complete-game to outduel Met Stottlemyre and the Yanks for the series win, was one of my favorite dramas of baseball and all of sports.

Current dynasties: Fallout 4's Commonwealth Baseball Organization

Completed dynasty: Fallout: New Vegas' Mojave Baseball League

Uniforms: My custom uniforms
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:01 AM   #6
Reed
All Star Starter

He was also a very good basketball player. Played some as a Harlem Globetrotter before concentrating on baseball.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:58 AM   #7
BMW
Hall Of Famer

Gibson will always be a synonym of pitching excellence to me.

Here's some early Gibson stuff you will never have seen before.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 10-03-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
swoboda
All Star Starter

Oh man, another iconic superstar gone. Gibson was a force on the mound, conveyed that he was going to defeat you. Had the deserved reputation in his prime that if you did not score off of him in the first inning the game was over.

I was fortunate enough to have seen them all play in person, Gibson, Seaver, Brock, three players who deserved their superstar status.

Please, all other 60s and 70s former greats if you are still alive, hang in there a while! can't take too many hits like this to my memories in such a short spell.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:58 PM   #9
ThatSeventiesGuy
Hall Of Famer

Rough month for Cards fans. RIP, Gibby.
ThatSeventiesGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:14 PM   #10
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatSeventiesGuy View Post
Rough month for Cards fans. RIP, Gibby.
Rough year. Blue Jays' fans lost two guys who don't compare at all with the iconic status of Gibby and Brock, but Damo Garcia (died April 15), and Tony Fernandez (died February 16) were part of the first division winning team in 1985, which holds a very special place in the hearts of day oners like me. Bound to happen as one gets older I s'pose, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Old 10-03-2020, 11:40 PM   #11
Curve Ball Dave
Hall Of Famer

He was my role model as a pitcher, and I'm not joking. He wasn't there to play a game, he was there to beat you. Hoot was one of the best ever. R.I.P.
Old 10-05-2020, 02:39 PM   #12
Rasmuth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
Just heard a great story about his final appearance on September 3, 1975 from Bob Costas. It was a relief appearance, and the second last batter he faced in the seventh inning that day was Pete LaCock, who he gave up a two out grand slam to. He then retired Don Kessinger on a ground out to end the inning, and was replaced by Mike Wallace to start the eighth. About a decade later, at an old timers game at Wrigley, LaCock happened to be playing for the Cubs old timers team, and Gibson drilled him. Costas asked him about it later, and Gibson's response was: "Robert...The scales must be balanced...No matter how long it takes." Hahaha! Apparently LaCock wore it like a badge of honour. Different game back then eh?
Interesting tidbit...Pete LaCock's father was none other than Peter Marshall...the legendary host of Holleywood Squares for a long, long time. He was very proud of his boy in the major leagues.
Rasmuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #13
thehef
Hall Of Famer

His World Series performances are legend. Other than games 1 of the 67 & 68 series, all other WS starts were on 3 days rest. And all but his first WS start were complete games, one was 10 innings (and in that first WS appearance he went 8 innings).

His career WS stats:
9 games, all starts. 8 complete games, 2 shutouts, 7-2 record.
1.89 ERA, 81 innings, 92 K's, 17 BB's.

He was the winning pitcher in two game sevens, and might've had a chance at winning his final game seven in 1968 had a two-out fly ball not been misplayed/misjudged by Curt Flood.

Greatest postseason pitcher of all-time? Possibly, although Koufax would be right there with him. And probably a few guys from much-earlier eras. But quite a resume.
thehef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 04:10 PM   #14
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Gibson will always be a synonym of pitching excellence to me.

Here's some early Gibson stuff you will never have seen before.

Damn, look at those arms. He was stacked

And I still can't get over that delivery. He arm action is pretty free and easy, but below his shoulders is so wildly out of control. I have watched more videos of him and every pitch carriers him towards the first base side of the mound and he has to plant his leg hard to keep himself from falling over.
Still amazing he never had a serious lower body injury.

Also, how was he as a fielder? It seems like with how hard his body was carried to first base that he would never be in position to field something up the middle.
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 04:33 AM   #15
Art99
Minors (Triple A)

Sad to hear this. He was my favorite pitcher of all time. My favorite hitter was Frank Robinson.

When I was in 6th grade I had all male teachers and they were big sports fans. They let us watch the WS games on an old black and white tv. I had already been playing baseball and football since 2nd grade but was just starting get into mlb and nfl a little in 5th grade. I remember how impressed I was when Bob struck out those 17 Tigers on that crisp fall day. He threw so hard in those late innings that sometimes his cap came off and he almost fell down. It hooked me on baseball for life. I read somewhere that he was so competetive that he would not talk to players from other teams during all star games.

A rough month for Cards fans - Lou Brock passed away on Sept 6.
Art99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #16
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art99 View Post

A rough month for Cards fans - Lou Brock passed away on Sept 6.
I'd say its a rough year.
Bob Gibson, Lou Brock, Whitey Ford and Eddie Van Halen in the last 2 months.
Not to forget we already lost Kenny Rogers.
On the bright side at least most of them except for Eddie got to live a long long life.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #17
Clovidequano Dovatha
Hall Of Famer

Location: Somewhere in the United States of America on God's Earth
Whitey Ford is still around, apparently. Just so you know. CD out.

Edit: Oops, wrote too soon. Apparently he went yesterday, without me knowing about it beforehand. CD out.

Proverbs 16:7 KJV
Romans 12:18 KJV
Philippians 2:1-11 KJV

DeviantArt:

https://www.deviantart.com/clovidequano-dovatha

GBA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=316515

EC's IPA:

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=158631

Updates to my various threads may be delayed or sporadic, and requests may still be some time away, while I continue working on LUtD. CD out.

Last edited by Clovidequano Dovatha; 10-09-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Clovidequano Dovatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #18
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

Forgot that we also lost Tom Seaver. Thats 4 hall of famers in less than a year.
I suppose we will be losing a lot of Legends in the next 10-15 years.
Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Clint Eastwood, Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger, Paul McCartney, Paul Simon, Jim Brown etc. Time is getting shorter for all of them. Well except for Keith Richards.
As long as they can enjoy life, i hope they live as long as possible.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #19
GeoWar
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
His World Series performances are legend. Other than games 1 of the 67 & 68 series, all other WS starts were on 3 days rest. And all but his first WS start were complete games, one was 10 innings (and in that first WS appearance he went 8 innings).

His career WS stats:
9 games, all starts. 8 complete games, 2 shutouts, 7-2 record.
1.89 ERA, 81 innings, 92 K's, 17 BB's.

He was the winning pitcher in two game sevens, and might've had a chance at winning his final game seven in 1968 had a two-out fly ball not been misplayed/misjudged by Curt Flood.

Greatest postseason pitcher of all-time? Possibly, although Koufax would be right there with him. And probably a few guys from much-earlier eras. But quite a resume.
Gibson came from Omaha Nebraska - so did Gale Sayers , and many others
But Greatest Post Season Pitcher --

World Series Record Book World Series Career Pitching Records
Record ------------------------------------ Name(s) .... Data
Wins ------- ------------------------------ Whitey Ford 10
Wins (By An Undefeated Pitcher) ---- Lefty Gomez 6
Wins (In Consecutive Order) ---------- Bob Gibson 7

Texas Longhorns -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2005

Oregon State Beavers -- NCAA Champion - Baseball 2006 and 2007

With unity comes VICTORY !
GeoWar is offline   Reply With Quote