Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:56 AM   #1
hockey72
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Disappointed

I'm disappointed with this version...ootp20. The setup is okay, but the game play at least for me is not as good as past versions. I would even go as to say its frustrating/horrible and it's leading me towards deleting this version and playing on oop18. I have purchased all versions except for last year and this one is the worse. I find the computer teams only want to trade players with bad contracts. They give dumb comments, like this the worse trade ever or you must be joking, even when going after a 3 or 3.5 star player. They hardly give you choices when you do hit "make this work now" button. When they do, it's crazy that it makes me want to to say those stupid comments. Another thing that I don't get is I see they are trying to get rid of a bad contract, that they are willing to pay 100% of the contract in the trade to do so. That makes no sense. You can't trade for players "just" drafted. It makes things difficult and frustrating while trying to build up your farm system when going thru their prospect list. I'm sure there's a spot to change that, but I haven't found it yet. I feel I'm giving up more and they still give those ridiculous comments. Believe me, I have tried it. Playing KC by the way, but I don't think that matters. I'm even playing on "easy" for trading and it's still really hard to make a deal. Drafts are worse. If you don't add players to draft, you won't get a good player if you are at the end of first round. Most of the time, players maybe are a 3.5 to 4 when they do make it to majors at best. I even "cheated" and gave better ratings for coaches and to my scout and still pretty close. Scouting is 100% accurate. Maybe it's suppose to be more realistic, but then have different modes, like easy, medium and superstar. I do want a challenge, but I don't think it's setup correctly as is. I want to like this version and I see a lot has been put into it, but it doesn't mean it's better. Sometimes more isn't better. I guess it's just me, but maybe so much as been stuffed into it to make it more realistic, that some of the fun of actually playing is being lost. I'm just curious if I've been playing a beta version of this game because it's not fun to me and needs some work. In any case, I'm still going to try and play this version. Maybe I'm needing to select or deselect an option I don't know. I just have a feeling I'm going to eventually delete it and play ootp18 again or maybe even purchase ootp19. If anyone has suggestions to help improve game play I'm all for it. I think trading and drafting needs work. Again, I want to love this game, but something has to change for that to happen for this version.
hockey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:04 AM   #2
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

You are of course entitled to your opinion...but with the exception of a few missing transaction rules, and the inflated RP scouting grade issue, I believe OOTP is at the pinnacle of its game. Obviously the 3D engine will always be a work in progress, and yes, real-time simulation screens could probably use updating with most screen having much higher resolution these days...but as far as the core AI goes....OOTP is probably the best of any sports management simulation on the market....and believe me, there was a time not all that long ago (4 years ago?) where I would not have said that.

Last edited by PSUColonel; 06-16-2019 at 06:35 PM.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:10 PM   #3
Charley575
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
You are of course entitled to your opinion...but with the exception of a few missing transaction rules, and the inflated RP scouting grade issue, I believe OOTP is at the pinnacle of its game. Obviously the 3D engine will always be a work in progress, and yes, real-time simulation screens could probably use updating with most screen having much higher resolution these days...but as far as the core AI goes....OOTP is probably the best of any sports management simulation on the market....and believe me, there was a time not all that long ago (4 years ago?) where I would have said that.
Agreed and I'll just jump in to add that with regard to the issue of recently drafted players if you go to Game Settings under the Rules tab you will find an option to determine if and when recently drafted players may be traded.
Charley575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
eldur00
All Star Reserve

I too am a bit disappointed with this version and I bought every version since 9 except for 14. But my gripes are different and nitpicky.

First, I had issues with importing a game from 19 where after the import almost every single batter in my league suddenly became a 4.5 or 5 star potential with inflated ratings. After posting a few times about it and being ignored completely, I gave up and started a new league instead because that one was ruined. I had imported leagues before with no problem, or at least nothing that extreme that wasn't fixable.

My nitpicky gripe though comes from playing out games. There are quite a few errors in the text play by play and it's driving me nuts. I've always played out my games and I've never seen so many errors in the text description in prior years ; it was always pretty solid. But in this version we have the outfielder throwing to a base, and the PbP mentions the outfielder as sliding in safe to the base. We also have situations where, for example, one of my players will ground out a run in in the 3rd, then comes back in the 5th and the PbP says he hit a HR in his last AB...there are also other examples I can't think of on the top of my head.

I understand a lot of people love this version and that's fine, but my experience, even if it might be nitpicky, is that it was a step backwards. Things that used to work pretty much flawlessly in the past have regressed. And I'm not talking about the ability to fleece the AI. I'm talking about gameplay mechanics that were totally fine in the past but somehow are not at the same level of awesomeness they were in the past.

That's not to say the game is trash, because it isn't. It's still a pretty good game. But if I'm asked my honest opinion, for the reasons I've mentioned, it is disappointing to me that things that are core features are not working as well as they did in previous iterations.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
mtlcash
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I believe the trading is going to be fixed in the next update, at least in another prospect trading thread it was mentioned it would be. I would wait until that's addressed before finally judging the game because it was working better in earlier versions of OOTP 20.
mtlcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 12:29 AM   #6
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

Even prior to the new patch, I think 20 is the best version of the game to date in terms of the Trade AI, Team Management and In-game AI etc...

But one thing that may help in future versions of the game, in dealing with the feelings that the OP expressed, is more variety in the trade responses (the actual text) within the Trade Negotiation screen; and additional scaling of those responses to the situation, because I think at least some of this is basically "optics".

What would be wild is if one day, some additional color is scattered into the responses based on the GM's personality.

And one thought on the "stars" / OR: I think they can be helpful when scrolling through tons of players (could be the original intent), but at times, a bit misleading if they are used in isolation. I don't use the stars and haven't for the past few years; it has made the game a deeper experience and more fun.

Last edited by Calvert98; 06-17-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: grammar edit
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:03 AM   #7
tem316
Minors (Triple A)

OOTP 20 seems to be more clunky, and the animations are out of sync. Hope the 20.5 update I just downloaded ends the players disappearing under the stands. OOTP18 and 19 were both better for many of the animations, although the way the ball acts off the bat is improved. I think that the original poster just needs to set his game settings better. They have changed for the better.
tem316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
Reed
All Star Starter

I think this version has been the best for me and I think the animations have made big strides the last couple years.
My disappointment has been with add on central but I do not think the developers have much to do with that. I have been able to downtown player pictures and thought I had them correctly in the league folder but have not been able to start a league using the player picture so have been using historical face gen which is better than nothing but would prefer the actual pictures.
Otherwise a great computer baseball game.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #9
jfb8300
Minors (Double A)

I've passed on this version to for three primary reasons:

1. Filters. Why can we only filter by the most basic of stats after 20 iterations of this game? Why can't we filter by any known stat such as FIP, WAR, Injury Proneness? This should be patch level work.

2. Staff. Needs completely overhauled. Least of the issues is the inability to search by whether a coach prefer vets or rookies. But we need staff poaching, AI promotion from within, etc, etc.

3. Feeders are completely broken and were purposely not even touched in OOTP.
jfb8300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:05 AM   #10
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb8300 View Post
I've passed on this version to for three primary reasons:

1. Filters. Why can we only filter by the most basic of stats after 20 iterations of this game? Why can't we filter by any known stat such as FIP, WAR, Injury Proneness? This should be patch level work.

2. Staff. Needs completely overhauled. Least of the issues is the inability to search by whether a coach prefer vets or rookies. But we need staff poaching, AI promotion from within, etc, etc.

3. Feeders are completely broken and were purposely not even touched in OOTP.

#3 is fascinating to me. I read this often here- that some part of OOTP is completely broken.
I don't know what that means- completely broken. I use feeders in my fictional league. I don't have a problem with them. I know many others use feeders as well. Granted, there are aspects of the feeder system that some people are not fully satisfied with, and that others are even downright frustrated about. So, maybe flawed, needing work, incomplete, etc. But completely broken?
That sounds like an extreme opinion pretending to be a statement of fact.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 10:59 AM   #11
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Keeping with the OP post, I will agree with the trade logic. I find it to not follow standards set in the game. I feel as though the AI doesn't use logic when choosing trades that involve rebuilding teams and playoff teams. I feel as though the labels like rebuilding, dynasty, etc are not even looked at.

I would love for it to be more creative in its logic. If I take over a rebuilding team, then those are the pieces I want offered in trades. Also if I happen to sign a veteran free agent with the intent to trade him, if he is doing well, by the deadline, I would think the offers would make more sense.

Just my two cents on the trade logic the OP talks about.

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 02:48 PM   #12
hockey72
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Reposting. I found the spot to change where I can trade for recently drafted players. Yay for that. I'm glad other people chimed in about trading. Draft I think I can work with now. Maybe adding more players to pool will help. I'm not into the graphics part of game. Like playing and coaching a single game. I just like the GM part. If I wanted graphics I would get mlb on playstation. There are a lot of good things that have been added. My main parts is trading drafting and coaching. Which I feel all 3 need improvements on. Some people I see have agreed on that. Some people play this game for different reasons. That's fine. Nothing wrong with it. But I have noticed it takes a lot longer to load save or start a new season than ever before. Probably due to the game play...graphics etc. The one thing I'm not worried about is the people who created this game care. Always trying to make things better and to fix what's broken. So I hope they continue that.
hockey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:21 AM   #13
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

I’ve never had any joy running feeder leagues due to the dearth of talent they produce, but you can’t fairly call them “broken.” Sure, they need programmer attention and they need a lot of improvements, but they mostly do work and broken things don’t.
5-4-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 PM   #14
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I'm not disappointed in XX.

But I do agree that staff needs a complete overhaul. No important information about coaches can be sorted. You have to go into each coach and find out what level they are a better fir in your system. Based upon development and relationships. It takes like a dozen clicks each coach. And you have to go through hundreds of them. If non of it matters then don't even have it in the game. If it does then it better be searchable and sortable.

The user interface including filters and customs views needs a complete overhaul. It is completely inconsistent from screen to screen.Sometimes views are customizable and sometimes they aren't. Sometimes you have filters for things you want and sometimes you don't.

I would like future versions to basically have a completely custom design where all views are editable. Why can I edit my team lineup views but click player card and it uses default? Player info view isn't customizable at all. Some of the info I like but some I have to dig down for stuff that I always check. If it was a custom view I would have it on the 1st player screen.

Sort of how your coach home screen is customizable but even more so not just the boxes but whats in the boxes.

Unless you managing every single game most of the time is still in the GM user interface and its just out dated and clunky.

Even find the player feature is just missing some info I would like to search on because it isn't 100% customizable like some of the views are.

I actually found myself playing more Perfect Team this year after hating it last year. Its just I do love OOTP normal but there is an endless amount of necessary mouse clicks. And in a game like this that is thousands of clicks per gaming session.

We are talking a million clicks a season or more.

I split my gaming time to lots of games. And as much as I love OOTP if the UI isn't redesigned in the next 1 or 2 versions (years) I could see myself not playing it or just logging into Perfect Team twice a week to check out my squad.

Special Note:
Regarding non UI stuff I thought it was the best OOTP yet! So that is really awesome.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote