Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:21 PM   #1
rudel.dietrich
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 1/0 (0)
Hardest MLB rebuild?

I have a few games going outside of my PT and I am enjoying them.
One is a MLB quick start Braves franchise that I simulate day by day.
I also have a small fictional universe that I created and am enjoying.

I am looking for a third league to get up and going, I want it to be a challenge as take a team from nothing to glory.
So what is considered to be the worst franchise top to bottom?
My first thoughts would be Miami or Baltimore.
But there is also Kansas City and Cincinnati.

And Oakland made the playoffs last season but it would be fun to see if I could step in and finally translate their theory of baseball into a championship (or multiple ones)
rudel.dietrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Almost any pre-1980 Phillies team, if you're into older games.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
"Alinsky works for me now."
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #3
Tram2Whitaker
All Star Reserve

Currently, I'd say the Marlins are frustratingly the hardest. However, if you were looking to go from literally nothing to glory, take an expansion team. You might have to institute some house rules, such as no taking major league players in the expansion draft, or something.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #4
scottk1983
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich View Post
I have a few games going outside of my PT and I am enjoying them.
One is a MLB quick start Braves franchise that I simulate day by day.
I also have a small fictional universe that I created and am enjoying.

I am looking for a third league to get up and going, I want it to be a challenge as take a team from nothing to glory.
So what is considered to be the worst franchise top to bottom?
My first thoughts would be Miami or Baltimore.
But there is also Kansas City and Cincinnati.

And Oakland made the playoffs last season but it would be fun to see if I could step in and finally translate their theory of baseball into a championship (or multiple ones)
I may be a little biased as a lifelong Reds fan, but I don't think the Reds really belong on your list. Sure, they haven't done much lately, but they have a much more promising looking future, and way more storied past, than the other teams you listed in my opinion. I also think they'd be really easy to build into a regular contender in OOTP, though I mostly stick to fictional myself.

For starters, the Reds have a significantly better minor league system than any of the other teams you listed. Cincy is in the top 10 in every list I found, and average around 6th or 7th in most, with KC, Baltimore and Miami consistently ranking in the bottom 10 of most rankings.

The Reds also have a bunch of decent to good pieces, either to keep or trade, at the major league level right now, with Eugenio Suarez, Jesse Winker, Luis Castillo, Tyler Mahle, Yasiel Puig, Raisel Iglesias, Alex Wood, Scooter Gennett, Nick Senzel and Sonny Gray being a few examples.
scottk1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

Miami is difficult because well, its Miami. Baltimore is difficult to turn around quickly because of the contracts but I found them to be kind of easy once you get out from under those. Currently working on a KC rebuild and am early in the 2023 season right now with only two playoff appearances to show so far but the future looks bright.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
SxSnts9
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottk1983 View Post
I may be a little biased as a lifelong Reds fan, but I don't think the Reds really belong on your list. Sure, they haven't done much lately, but they have a much more promising looking future, and way more storied past, than the other teams you listed in my opinion. I also think they'd be really easy to build into a regular contender in OOTP, though I mostly stick to fictional myself.

For starters, the Reds have a significantly better minor league system than any of the other teams you listed. Cincy is in the top 10 in every list I found, and average around 6th or 7th in most, with KC, Baltimore and Miami consistently ranking in the bottom 10 of most rankings.

The Reds also have a bunch of decent to good pieces, either to keep or trade, at the major league level right now, with Eugenio Suarez, Jesse Winker, Luis Castillo, Tyler Mahle, Yasiel Puig, Raisel Iglesias, Alex Wood, Scooter Gennett, Nick Senzel and Sonny Gray being a few examples.
I played a few years as the Reds GM. Went to the playoffs 6 times in 8 years including the last 5 in a row. Never made it past the divisional round, but my team was still really young and controllable when I started a new universe. Taylor Trammell was a mega-star for me. Hunter Greene had a great rookie year and then became more of a 4th or 5th starter. Nick Senzel was a high war player year in and year out, but he never really made the leap to mega-star. Still a solid piece. Jonathan India never made it past AAA...that was rough. He never even did well in AAA come to think of it.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #7
nayryentuk
Bat Boy

I would think the Marlins, that have some big contracts and not much revenue coming in. I haven't tried Baltimore yet.
nayryentuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 01:38 PM   #8
MightyVotto
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxSnts9 View Post
Never made it past the divisional round
Pretty much the state of Cincy pro sports since the mid-90s. If they get to the playoffs, they lose in the first round. OOTP really does an amazing job simulating reality.
MightyVotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #9
Galeg
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tram2Whitaker View Post
Currently, I'd say the Marlins are frustratingly the hardest. However, if you were looking to go from literally nothing to glory, take an expansion team. You might have to institute some house rules, such as no taking major league players in the expansion draft, or something.

I have an expansion save where the draft was 40 players with 3+ years experience protected per team. That was pretty rough.
Galeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #10
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I'm doing a Marlins save now and have had good success for a while. 2 WS wins, countless division titles, 100+ win seasons, i am getting a bit bored of it now. I think I will do an Orioles game in the future using live start just to get through the first season quicker
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote