Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
daves
Hall Of Famer

What player has been your best surprise and your biggest disapointment?

What player has been better than you expected and what player has been your biggest disappointment so far on your team?

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
daves
Hall Of Famer

George Kell (76) and Rod Carew (82) have been consistent hitters.

Jose Ramirez (97) was struggling to bat 175 for me. I was expecting a lot more from a 97 rated player.

Old 01-18-2019, 07:21 AM   #3
Abnerdoubleday
Minors (Triple A)

Exceeded Expectations: Omar Vizquel and Dennis Martinez

Underwhelmed: J.D. Martinez and Edwin Diaz
Abnerdoubleday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 AM   #4
old timer
Hall Of Famer

The biggest surprise for my Clippers so far in D378, is Ken Boyer who's been playing above his head all season.

There hasn't been any major disappointments even though my team is only 54-53. Joe Medwick's -7.2 ZR and -1.1 WAR is the biggest disappointment so far, but I've seen worse from others in past seasons.

Doolittle's having his worst season in the bullpen. He has a .692 SV%, a 1.38 WHIP and 80 ERA+, but his BABIP is .372 (team BABIP is .295, 3rd best) so it looks like bad luck has contributed to that (our defense is #3). His other numbers are normal so I imagine his numbers will get better.
Attached Images
Old 01-18-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
Kushiel
All Star Starter

My biggest surprise is a silver card, Ozzie Smith, being my starting SS in Perfect but for my purposes he is untouchable.

I do not have the card but my pitching hero, Sandy Koufax's perfect card, being so ordinary is my biggest disappointment.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:04 AM   #6
Morug
Major Leagues

Biggest surprise: Patrick Corbin i have it since day one, Tim Raines Sr (87 ov card), alwais in the .300 range with a lot of steal bases..something he gave me 15-20 hr in a season.

Biggest dissapointment...a lot of Diamond live card...Paul Goldschmidt is an example. Clayton Kershaw 92 ov version too.
Morug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #7
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Lorenzo Cain has been simply fantastic for me. Very consistent, always 4+ WAR and 350+ OBP. It's been six straight seasons now, including 3 in perfect performing at that level. Two gold gloves also.

I kept thinking I would need to replace him as I rose to higher leagues, but he just keeps producing.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
subtle
Minors (Single A)

Ian Happ has been more valuable by WAR than prime Harmon Killebrew in the 3 seasons I've had both in a Silver League. Killebrew's WAR is held back a little by having to play left field but Happ isn't an ideal CF, where I'm currently playing him.
subtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
WBTyler939
Minors (Single A)

Not sure I'd include specific players here, but the biggest disappointment for me has been the DRAMATIC statistical shifts from one season to the next, even in the same league/level. I can understand some variance, such as batting average going from .310 to .270, or ERA from 3.20 to 4.00, but I'm seeing very highly rated hitters going from .320 to .220. That just doesn't happen in real life to that extreme.

Also surprising to see the same card do so differently on different teams in the same league.
WBTyler939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBTyler939 View Post
Not sure I'd include specific players here, but the biggest disappointment for me has been the DRAMATIC statistical shifts from one season to the next, even in the same league/level. I can understand some variance, such as batting average going from .310 to .270, or ERA from 3.20 to 4.00, but I'm seeing very highly rated hitters going from .320 to .220. That just doesn't happen in real life to that extreme.

Also surprising to see the same card do so differently on different teams in the same league.
sometimes it does.... just look at Bryce Harper's batting averages:

2015: .339
2016: .243 (pretty dang close to a 100 point swing)
2017: .319
2018: .249
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #11
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

My biggest surprise has been Cleon Jones (88, 1969 All-Star). He was the gold card in my starter packs and he averaged 6 WAR per season all the way through gold. He is still putting up 2 WAR per season in Perfect League as a platoon (RHB) corner outfielder and backup 1B.

My biggest disappointment was Sandy Koufax (93, 1966 All-Star). I way overpaid for him because he was a favorite player. He performed well in Gold League but I learned that LHP and low movement are a poor combination at the higher levels. I finally gave up on him and took a big loss on the sale.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 12:38 PM   #12
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

Shane Victorino. RF or LF defensive monster, but somehow always produces offensively at a better rate than you would expect. Currently he is pushing for the triple crown, but 93 diamond Arod has pulled away a bit(27 to 21 HR) so seems unlikely now. He will come through with ~30 SBs too. Great all around player for incredibly cheap. Worth a look if you are making a new team.

As for disappointments, I have a pack only diamond team. Well formerly diamond since i was relegated last season (rekt). I managed to pick up along the way jose ramirez and christian yelich in these pack adventures. They did ok for me in my ascent to diamond and first few seasons there. Ok, but nothing stellar. This past season though, they were awful (like unbelievably so, and i was getting bored in general stuck in diamond and generating very little PP with my pack team - which I can not improve unless I buy more packs. So in an effort to salvage my season, where i was bottom 2 in the league, i sold both of them for about a combined 14k PP. Bought 14 1k packs - didnt even pack a gold haha. Finished tied for bottom 4th, so i guess technically improved, but was still relegated.

But despite selling my two "best players", and packing nothing in return I am somehow in first in gold this season.

Man I had some decent pack luck earlier on with the aforementioned 2 diamonds, and a handful of golds as well, but I havent packed a gold in I cant even recall how long. Makes life as a pack only team tough.
bobbycockstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 PM   #13
Joshrapley
Minors (Single A)

Biggest Surprise : Eddie Collins Snr 2B (Historical Legend - 78) Over four seasons through BrL to GoL he has racked up 23.2 WAR hitting lead off me. Easily been my best and most consistent player with a line a .301/.377/.410 whilst stealing 213 bases. However, defensively not great with a career -3.9ZR.

Biggest Disappointment: Robin Ventura (Historical All Star - 84) Was my first 'big' purchase and bought him over Harlond Clift due to Ventura's 80 Defense at 3B. Proceeded do nothing over 2 seasons in Bronze and Silver and was a hole defensively so much so that Don Money (Unsung Hero - 69) took his place when we were promoted to gold. Sold Ventura this season at a loss.
Joshrapley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 02:45 PM   #14
jeffw3000
Minors (Triple A)

Biggest surprise has been Patrick Corbin. I just got him this year and he has been consistently good, even pitching a perfect game.

My biggest disappointment has been Gil Hodges. He was good my first season, but ever since he has been mediocre. He is good defensively, but offensively he has been terrible since that first season. He has an OPS of .730 this season, and last season it was only slightly better.
jeffw3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:51 PM   #15
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushiel View Post
My biggest surprise is a silver card, Ozzie Smith, being my starting SS in Perfect but for my purposes he is untouchable.

I do not have the card but my pitching hero, Sandy Koufax's perfect card, being so ordinary is my biggest disappointment.
Was Ozzie a player from a pack? I never saw him in the auction.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:54 PM   #16
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBTyler939 View Post

Is this a league change or same level?

Old 01-18-2019, 08:14 PM   #17
gemini615
All Star Reserve

My biggest disappointment has been both Rocky Colavito cards, the silver 72 and the gold 86. Both are just underwhelming at all the different levels. I wouldn't call the 78 Eddie Collins a surprise, but he's a base stealing fiend that just hits.

Btw, how are the Doubledays doing this year? Playoff bound?
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #18
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini615 View Post
My biggest disappointment has been both Rocky Colavito cards, the silver 72 and the gold 86. Both are just underwhelming at all the different levels. I wouldn't call the 78 Eddie Collins a surprise, but he's a base stealing fiend that just hits.

Btw, how are the Doubledays doing this year? Playoff bound?
Around 500. Last year I thought I had number 5 with 109 regular seasons wins but fell short. A lot of these perfect teams seem to have similar players, except those who spent a lot more $$$.

What league are you in?

Old 01-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #19
gemini615
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
Around 500. Last year I thought I had number 5 with 109 regular seasons wins but fell short. A lot of these perfect teams seem to have similar players, except those who spent a lot more $$$.

What league are you in?
109 wow! Typical Doubledays! lol

I'm in Perfect 410. It's a hodge-podge 22 team league with some really solid teams. I'm in the relegation zone, so my Indians will get the chance to regroup and come back strong. Good luck the rest of the way!
gemini615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #20
traylor45
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abnerdoubleday View Post
Exceeded Expectations: Omar Vizquel and Dennis Martinez

Underwhelmed: J.D. Martinez and Edwin Diaz
I stayed away from J.D. as I just don't see him as being nearly as amazing as people have made him out to be. IMO there are a ton of Diamond's that are better and I'd rather not pay a premium for a gold when I can get one of those diamonds for that same premium or less.

Edwin though, he's been great for me. Every time I stick Treinen in the Closer role he gets shelled and I have to go back to Diaz. Treinen doesn't handle the closer role for me (over 3 seasons now). He's lights out as a stopper though and Diaz is a shut-down closer for me.
traylor45 is offline   Reply With Quote