Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:32 PM   #1
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Is There a Way to Adjust Pitchers' ERA?

I know I play OOTPB in a weird fashion... I micromanage it and make custom fictional leagues... I never just use default leagues and game settings.

Using a custom league I am doing a replay of the 1949 Southern Association season.

The first two seasons I created all of the players and their stats on the free agents page and the league and player stats were remarkably accurate.

This year to save the input time I am trying to import them from the game's minor league historical database and it is not going well.

When I do this the pitchers ERA are not close to the real life stats.

Is there a way to change a pitcher's ERA?

I use the player editor to adjust batting stats and fielding stats... they seem to work well, but the pitcher's rating editors don't work well.

I just have to use trial and error to make the ERA adjustment... changing the ratings of the pitcher's repertoire and the ratings in the pitcher's ratings editor (Batters Faced, IP, Home Run Allowed, BB, K, HBP, WP)

By doing this I'm afraid that the pitcher ratings will be out of whack when I start playing out the season and the league stats will be totally out of line.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Would appreciate your help.

It could be I'm trying to do something that the game can't do.

That's what Spitze told me if I understood him correctly... he is the OOTPB expert on the minor leagues.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 05-07-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Eugene Church is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:59 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

well, what about going the other direction. try to affect the older players with created ratings to be in line with the created players you recently imported.

you'd need a new set of modifiers after doing something like that - so not advised during a season.

but, this type of 'fix' would make less work required in future. could export a list of the older players and mass edit... if you see and distinct differences like too high stuff/move/control or maybe it's on the offensive side that needs to be toned down.

no matter what, going from non-fictional players to fictional will be a bit of an awkward time for your totals/modifiers. likely will need to click that button a few times relative to years it takes for a league turnover.

other than that, you have the modifiers for offense... slim it down a bit, or do both the above then work on mods after an "autocaclulate." we can affect offense, which will result in a predictable range of ERA. smaller the league, more volatility each year - plus minor league turnover rates etc... so, be forgiving.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-04-2018 at 09:02 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 11:24 PM   #3
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOne View Post
well, what about going the other direction. try to affect the older players with created ratings to be in line with the created players you recently imported.

you'd need a new set of modifiers after doing something like that - so not advised during a season.

but, this type of 'fix' would make less work required in future. could export a list of the older players and mass edit... if you see and distinct differences like too high stuff/move/control or maybe it's on the offensive side that needs to be toned down.

no matter what, going from non-fictional players to fictional will be a bit of an awkward time for your totals/modifiers. likely will need to click that button a few times relative to years it takes for a league turnover.

other than that, you have the modifiers for offense... slim it down a bit, or do both the above then work on mods after an "autocaclulate." we can affect offense, which will result in a predictable range of ERA. smaller the league, more volatility each year - plus minor league turnover rates etc... so, be forgiving.
Thanks for the advice, NoOne.

It's great how you try to help the community out with our knowledge of OOTPB.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:14 PM   #4
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I have decided to just create my own players for the 1949 Southern Association season using the Free Agents screen.

I know this will work well... I did it for my first two seasons of the SA replay and that stats were very realistic.

I have each player's real life batting, pitching and fielding stats.

It will just take time to manually create them and input their ratings... the pitching ratings will be difficult because of its complexity with stuff, movement, control and velocity... change one and everything else changes... but I will at least give it a try.

I was hoping to save a bunch of time with the minor league database player imports.

Maybe one day it will be possible to import entire teams and a specific league from the minors, complete with accurate stats and rosters.

And one day OOTPB will get there... It's a long, lengthy and time-demanding project.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 05-06-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #5
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

I really enjoy reliving the old Southern Association of my childhood when I would read the box scores in the newspapers... the Mobile Press-Register and the New Orleans Times-Picayune... have also viewed the Memphis Commercial-Appeal on film strips at the library.

An accurate replay really brings the players that I used to read about come to life.

As all of you very well know, Markus and the Boys have created a remarkable game... My '47 and '48 seasons were remarkably accurate as far as player stats... the first season was very realistic as far as team standings... but the second year was off... I had the right four teams in the playoffs... but the Nashville Vols should have been the best team... however, the Memphis Chickasaws' pitching was just too good... and it was probably my fault... I entered the ratings for each player.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 05-06-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:57 PM   #6
Ignatius J
Minors (Single A)

What I found out was that works backward from how you edit a hitter. For hitters, you plug in the end stats and generate ratings and you're good to go. For pitchers, you need to adjust their pitch ratings/pitch types (stuff) and movement and control ratings. The stats (where it says resulting stats in a neutral, modern major league environment) then adjust automatically. It takes a lot more tinkering and I can't quite get it dead on, but close. Maybe you're already doing that though.

Last edited by Ignatius J; 05-06-2018 at 06:59 PM. Reason: clarity
Ignatius J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 11:25 AM   #7
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatius J View Post
What I found out was that works backward from how you edit a hitter. For hitters, you plug in the end stats and generate ratings and you're good to go. For pitchers, you need to adjust their pitch ratings/pitch types (stuff) and movement and control ratings. The stats (where it says resulting stats in a neutral, modern major league environment) then adjust automatically. It takes a lot more tinkering and I can't quite get it dead on, but close. Maybe you're already doing that though.
Thanks, Ignacious.

Yes, after struggling for about two weeks and not really getting an answer and getting no good results, I finally began tinkering with the pitcher's pitches first, then tinkering with the stuff, movement and control... making minor adjustments as I went along... and got it to where the ERA was close to what I wanted... at that point I could adjust the home runs and hone in on the ERA... many times it meant cutting the HRA in half in the pitcher's ratings editor... and then add or subtract a few homers allowed... that was the last adjustment usually.

Trial-and-Error will get the ERA close... but it really made big changes in all of the ratings settings.

I just hope all of my changes don't foul up the game's programming and interactions.

I will let you know... I should begin the 1949 Southern Association dynasty league replay this afternoon... have one more team to rework the players ratings to real life stats.

Maybe one day I will just play OOTPB using its default leagues and default settings... that would make my life simpler, yes indeed.

Thanks, again for your help... much appreciate it.

Last edited by Eugene Church; 05-07-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:06 AM   #8
5-4-3
Minors (Double A)

The Times-Picayune and Ignatius J. Reilly? My, aren’t we getting a little Big Easy here?
5-4-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 03:23 AM   #9
sprague
All Star Starter

Hey Eugene,
Here is what I do because I plug a lot of historical players into my fictional worlds.
For me in the editor, the ERA is the #1 tool I use to make a pitcher rating.
I basically ignore hits allowed and home runs. Walks and Strikeouts are a guide.
Say for example I want to make a pitcher with a 2.85 ERA, and he lists in 240 innings with 65 walks and 211 strikeouts.
I first plug in a 55% GB as a base tool to work with. Then plug in 211 strikeouts and 65 walks and his home run totals and see what the ERA turns out to. Normally I have to decrease the walks by 10-20%, home runs by 10-20% and then in some cases up the GB %. Once I get around a 2.85 ERA I hit the calculate ratings buttons, and the totals appear. Usually I increase strikeouts by 10% as well depending on how the player is made.
The pitchers in my games tend to come out very well in all categories from this method of creation.
Hope this helps.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 PM   #10
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
Hey Eugene,
Here is what I do because I plug a lot of historical players into my fictional worlds.
For me in the editor, the ERA is the #1 tool I use to make a pitcher rating.
I basically ignore hits allowed and home runs. Walks and Strikeouts are a guide.
Say for example I want to make a pitcher with a 2.85 ERA, and he lists in 240 innings with 65 walks and 211 strikeouts.
I first plug in a 55% GB as a base tool to work with. Then plug in 211 strikeouts and 65 walks and his home run totals and see what the ERA turns out to. Normally I have to decrease the walks by 10-20%, home runs by 10-20% and then in some cases up the GB %. Once I get around a 2.85 ERA I hit the calculate ratings buttons, and the totals appear. Usually I increase strikeouts by 10% as well depending on how the player is made.
The pitchers in my games tend to come out very well in all categories from this method of creation.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help, sprague... I do something very similar... will start the season soon and just see what kind of stats I get... I have played a few games in the new season and everything looks good... but I'm afraid good pitchers will really be better than I want them to be... it's really hard to get their strikeout/walk ratios close to their real stats.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:25 AM   #11
sprague
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Church View Post
Thanks for the help, sprague... I do something very similar... will start the season soon and just see what kind of stats I get... I have played a few games in the new season and everything looks good... but I'm afraid good pitchers will really be better than I want them to be... it's really hard to get their strikeout/walk ratios close to their real stats.
unfortunately something has to give. ERA sort of ties to hits, hr, walks and strikeouts- but not totally. A pitcher can give up 2 hits and a walk in an inning, but with a double play and strikeout he is out with no runs allowed. But if you plug in those numbers he is a terrible pitcher.
2 pitchers, same innings, same hits and walks, but the runs allowed might be vastly different.
Seems one of the tjhings that makes a good pitcher, who winds up with a low ERA, is how they pitch with men on base...and that is a very hard thing to try and place into a computer simulation.
sprague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:26 PM   #12
Eugene Church
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprague View Post
unfortunately something has to give. ERA sort of ties to hits, hr, walks and strikeouts- but not totally. A pitcher can give up 2 hits and a walk in an inning, but with a double play and strikeout he is out with no runs allowed. But if you plug in those numbers he is a terrible pitcher.
2 pitchers, same innings, same hits and walks, but the runs allowed might be vastly different.
Seems one of the tjhings that makes a good pitcher, who winds up with a low ERA, is how they pitch with men on base...and that is a very hard thing to try and place into a computer simulation.
I need to use default ratings... that way the players perform as they are supposed to in general.

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with me.

Much appreciate it.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:17 PM   #13
Ignatius J
Minors (Single A)

I find the hardest thing to line up is the hits allowed. I can get K's, BB's, IP and HR's pretty close, but the pitcher's total hits allowed is always too high. That either inflates their ERA, or I have to pump up the movement to 230+, which I think is too high and should be reserved for the true greats.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Ignatius J is offline   Reply With Quote