Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

View Poll Results: Should we have a sub-forum for Fictional Leagues?
Yes! 41 63.08%
I don't care either way. 15 23.08%
No. Because... 9 13.85%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

What about a separate sub-forum for Fictional Sims ?

I'm pretty sure there are lots of "fictional guys" out there who would love to share stories and screenshots from their fictional leagues - and lots who would love to read this stuff.

So I think it's long overdue to create a separate sub-forum for Fictional Simulations, so that we don't have to hijack other topics or file through countless topics to find "our" stuff ...
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Old 05-30-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
tlowe77
Major Leagues

Do you mean like the Dynasty Report section but exclusive to fictional?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #3
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlowe77 View Post
If so, that's unnecessary. Half the Dynasty board is fictional anyway.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:24 PM   #4
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No, just like the Forum "Historical Simulations" - most of us don't want to start a Dynasty thread, but maybe want to share certain games, accomplishments, etc.
Attached Images

Happy Chandler, 1947
Old 05-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #5
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

And even that subforum wouldn't be necessary, as the post count hints at.

If you don't want to start a dynasty thread, you can post in the this general purpose board as well. It will surely get noticed a lot more than in an obscure subforum nobody ever looks in (I know for sure I haven't).

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:00 PM   #6
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Until people start using sub forums properly (which will be never ) adding another would be pointless.

Last edited by Bluenoser; 05-30-2016 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #7
vladdy16
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I see what German is saying. I'd visit a forum with snapshots and windows into other players fictional universes all the time.

Don't see the negative to it, it's a good idea to create content here.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:14 AM   #8
tlowe77
Major Leagues

I agree, I would visit it everyday and I think us fictional guys would post a lot more then the Historical sim ones do.

I would love to see everyone's maps, logos, teams, and fictional league ideas without having to go into 4 different sub forums to see if anyone has posted something new about a fictional universe.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:17 AM   #9
sutto
Minors (Double A)

I would definitely use it. Have always been tempted to post stuff here but didn't want to clog up the board with stuff that a lot of people wouldn't be interested in. At least with a Fictional Board I would know that I'm reaching my target audience, so to speak.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 AM   #10
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
If so, that's unnecessary. Half the Dynasty board is fictional anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
And even that subforum wouldn't be necessary, as the post count hints at.

If you don't want to start a dynasty thread, you can post in the this general purpose board as well. It will surely get noticed a lot more than in an obscure subforum nobody ever looks in (I know for sure I haven't).
Part of me agrees with you, but the majority of me says, "No, sub-forums are good. Besides, what does it hurt?". Personally, the way I view this site is I just click a link that takes me to the new posts so as long as it's not a board that I've blocked (there's a setting for that), whether I see a thread or not doesn't matter much where it's posted.

I like sub-forums because when people are interested in only reading about a certain category of topics it helps to only search that board. And it also helps those threads not get buried by countless other threads which are probably not on topics you're interested in. It also, I think, helps foster mini-communities. I might be crazy, but as an outsider to most of them it really does seem like there's little communities all over this site simply based on the sub-forums. There are a lot of people that I never notice post on the general boards, but for some reason they post a lot in sub-forums. Clearly, there's some value in them.

I agree with bluenoser that the big problem is getting more people to post threads on the right boards. About once a week I go through and move the mostly OOTP threads from the non-OOTP general board, there's no way I'd even attempt moving all the threads on the OOTP general board to their proper sub-forums simply because there are so many. Still, for the people who do know that it's better to post on the appropriate boards it'd probably make the experience better for them if they did have a fictional sims board. I know I'd visit from time to time as I'm first and foremost a fictional simmer.
Old 05-31-2016, 08:35 AM   #11
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

I still don't see why you couldn't use the Dynasty thread. Despite the name, it has become that which you seek.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
Old 05-31-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
kq76
Global Moderator

Not exactly I don't think. The dynasty forum is more about writing and sharing stories about people's leagues. You could turn some into novels or at least short stories. I think what people are looking for here is a sub-forum to share their fictional league setups, maybe questions and answers on how to do things specific to fictional leagues. That's the difference I see between the dynasty and historical boards and I think that's what people here are looking for for fictional leagues.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:38 AM   #13
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

I check the historical subforum every time I log on, and I don't see any reason why the fictional players shouldn't have one.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 05-31-2016, 11:35 AM   #14
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

My previous comments aside, I agree with the idea. I enjoy posting stuff about my fictional leagues occasionally, but have no desire to write a dynasty.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #15
Reed
All Star Starter

I play historical but if the fictional guys want a sub forum, that's fine with me. I would probably skim through it now and then just to see what others are doing.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:10 AM   #16
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree, I would visit it everyday and I think us fictional guys would post a lot more then the Historical sim ones do.

I would love to see everyone's maps, logos, teams, and fictional league ideas without having to go into 4 different sub forums to see if anyone has posted something new about a fictional universe.
That's exactly why I brought this up.

It's pretty frustrating checking several forum to find posts on these topics.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Old 06-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #17
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Not exactly I don't think. The dynasty forum is more about writing and sharing stories about people's leagues. You could turn some into novels or at least short stories. I think what people are looking for here is a sub-forum to share their fictional league setups, maybe questions and answers on how to do things specific to fictional leagues. That's the difference I see between the dynasty and historical boards and I think that's what people here are looking for for fictional leagues.
Fair enough then. Thanks for the clarification.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
Old 06-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #18
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I've completely come around on this idea, because I want to post a couple of polls seeking help for naming teams, and I kinda feel funny posting them in the main forum or the dynasty forum. But main forum it is, I guess...

SPTT team

Old 06-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #19
tlowe77
Major Leagues

I know they say that the majority of people who play the game, play the regular MLB quickstart BUT they also say that a big percentage of people on this forum are fictional players.

So if a big percentage of the forum users are players that like to create our own worlds/change the current one, it would be nice to have our own sub-forum to discuss ideas, worlds, teams and story ideas without adding more mess to the general discussion forum.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #20
RchW
Hall Of Famer

I agree. I'm not a dynasty guy but I'd like a spot for strictly fictional posts. Great thread by the OP and a nice discussion.

Edit: I'd also be more inclined to post some details on my fictional leagues as I wouldn't be posting to those not interested.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit

Last edited by RchW; 06-01-2016 at 07:42 PM.
Closed Thread