Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #1
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Draft day football 2016

New football game out on the market. Anyone have a review? The basketball sim is highly regarded. Anxious to try a football sim but front office footballs UI is horrendous.

Thoughts
Old 01-03-2016, 08:10 PM   #2
Mickeyb37
Major Leagues

To me its just Brooks Piggott's other game Pro Football Simulator with a few new screens. I played the demo having played Pro Football Simulator for years and I have decided not to buy the full version. It's not very good as a single player game, lacks depth, loads of buggy issues with stats/ratings.

As for the Basketball game they have announced a new version while leaving the last version full of bugs and without an update in more than a year. Used to be impressed with Wolverine but not any more.

Matt LeClair - Penfold (1975-2015)
Old 01-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

One good thing about the football game is there is a format for 72 teams(but with a 30 game schedule).

They need to work on the single player version. Not much going on watching the play back. Out of town scores or team W-L records or league standings would be a plus.
Old 01-05-2016, 07:38 PM   #4
gbmoore121
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyb37 View Post
As for the Basketball game they have announced a new version while leaving the last version full of bugs and without an update in more than a year. Used to be impressed with Wolverine but not any more.
That's just not true.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Mickeyb37
Major Leagues

Yeah it's not quite true they just put one out after announcing the new game (Jan 2016) but prior to that there hadn't been one since April 2015 so just a few months short of a year. Just checked the forum to correct my error

Matt LeClair - Penfold (1975-2015)

Last edited by Mickeyb37; 01-06-2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:37 PM   #6
Enforcer
Minors (Double A)

I can confirm it is the basic same game as his original game. Plus there are still bugs... Terrible game
Old 01-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #7
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
New football game out on the market. Anyone have a review? The basketball sim is highly regarded. Anxious to try a football sim but front office footballs UI is horrendous.

Thoughts
I tried it but didn't buy it as I wasn't impressed. Not sure how much of a chance you've given FOF, but if you can get past the dated UI, it's really a great, great game, and after a while you might not find the UI as much of a distraction.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:18 PM   #8
aslanking
Minors (Double A)

Front office football looks to be great but the interface is so horrendous I can't see past it. It's almost like a gorgeous princess being held in a far off castle. The only way to get to her is through 5 miles of brambles and thickets, two moats filled with crocodiles and sharks with lasers On their head.

You really really want to get to the princess. But it is not worth the effort.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:48 AM   #9
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslanking View Post
Front office football looks to be great but the interface is so horrendous I can't see past it. It's almost like a gorgeous princess being held in a far off castle. The only way to get to her is through 5 miles of brambles and thickets, two moats filled with crocodiles and sharks with lasers On their head.

You really really want to get to the princess. But it is not worth the effort.
Except it is worth the effort, which is what everyone tries to tell everyone!

Fwiw, the new version supposedly will update the interface.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:54 AM   #10
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Darn, I don't like Pro Football Simulator, so the fact that Brooks is now working with Wolverine means it's PFS 1.5. Bummer, dude. Was hoping for a NEW football sim. Alas ...
Old 01-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #11
cdcool
Minors (Single A)

Don't waste your money as yet like I did, not a good look especially if you already own PFS, which I let sit.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #12
Syd Thrift
Hall Of Famer

FOF allows you to call plays in-game but I'm not at all keen on the way it penalizes you across the board for running the same play several times regardless of whether or not the defense is keyed on it, running a play that works poorly with it (a short pass against a deep zone, for example), and so on. That of course is still a stage better than PFC/DDSPF in that you can't even call plays in the latter game(s).

I still feel like from a coaching standpoint the high water mark is Football Pro 98. When a text-based sim comes out with something that equals that game's level of available analysis and in-game strategy (it's faaaaaaar from perfect as you'd expect with a 17 year old game, of course), then I'll gladly flock over to it. Until then, meh.
The Great American Baseball Thrift Book - Like reading the Sporting News from back in the day, only with fake players. REAL LIFE DRAMA THOUGH maybe not
Old 01-22-2016, 08:13 PM   #13
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by garion333 View Post

Fwiw, the new version supposedly will update the interface.
Is there any indication of when a new version is coming out?
Old 01-22-2016, 08:38 PM   #14
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Fall 2016
Old 01-24-2016, 11:34 AM   #15
orwell
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
I can confirm it is the basic same game as his original game. Plus there are still bugs... Terrible game
I agree. I tried the demo and, to me, it was almost the same as his other game, which I had bought. Also buggy.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #16
orwell
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd Thrift View Post
I still feel like from a coaching standpoint the high water mark is Football Pro 98. When a text-based sim comes out with something that equals that game's level of available analysis and in-game strategy (it's faaaaaaar from perfect as you'd expect with a 17 year old game, of course), then I'll gladly flock over to it. Until then, meh.
Do you know where you can download this game from? I looked on abandonware sites and saw other vintages, but not '98.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #17
swoboda
All Star Starter

I have to say both sadly and happily I just completed another season on frontpage sports football 97. I still like the 97 game better because of a couple of features they took out in 98. In my opinion still the best football sim game ever I have to agree. Looking forward to someday feeling the same way about Beyond the Sidelines

The late great Lindsey Nelson
Old 01-24-2016, 06:53 PM   #18
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoboda View Post
I have to say both sadly and happily I just completed another season on frontpage sports football 97. I still like the 97 game better because of a couple of features they took out in 98. In my opinion still the best football sim game ever I have to agree. Looking forward to someday feeling the same way about Beyond the Sidelines
I feel exactly the same way. The best football sim ever made was the FPS series. I played the hell out of it. You would think that after almost 20 years somebody would have surpassed it.

Maybe BTS.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:37 PM   #19
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell View Post
Do you know where you can download this game from? I looked on abandonware sites and saw other vintages, but not '98.

Front Page Sports Football Pro '98 Download (1997 Sports Game)

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Old 01-24-2016, 10:44 PM   #20
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

I bought DDSF 16 with hopes it would be the game I was looking for. and sadly it was not. No in game play calling is a killer for me - have to have that for me to stay interested at all.

at this point Madden Coach Mode is the best option for the football sim player. Amazingly sadly considering how long the genre has existed and how many games have been announced and yet how little improvements have actually come in last 10 + years.

for what it is worth, I do really like the Wolverine Basketball games and think they have gotten better with every release.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah