Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - Technical Support > Bug Reports Forum
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Bug Reports Forum Post bug reports here please!

Old 06-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #1
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

OOTP 17, Mint 18, and Steam: fails to start

I'm running Linux Mint 18 64-bit, with Steam and OOTP 17, and OOTP fails to start. It gets as far as the splash screen with the 'loading...' message at the bottom, but crashes before it gets any further. There's nothing in the OOTP/debug directory. Below is the output from running ootp17.sh manually.

Code:
$ ./ootp17.sh 
szCmd: /bin/sh -c '"/home/jay/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh" "steam://run/402430"' &

Error, unable to continue...

Starting Steam client...

Running Steam on linuxmint 18 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
/bin/bash: /home/jay/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /bin/bash)
grep: symbol lookup error: grep: undefined symbol: pcre_jit_stack_alloc
awk: /home/jay/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6)
Fishbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #2
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbreath View Post
I'm running Linux Mint 18 64-bit, with Steam and OOTP 17, and OOTP fails to start. It gets as far as the splash screen with the 'loading...' message at the bottom, but crashes before it gets any further. There's nothing in the OOTP/debug directory. Below is the output from running ootp17.sh manually.

Code:
$ ./ootp17.sh 
szCmd: /bin/sh -c '"/home/jay/.local/share/Steam/steam.sh" "steam://run/402430"' &

Error, unable to continue...

Starting Steam client...

Running Steam on linuxmint 18 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
/bin/bash: /home/jay/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /bin/bash)
awk: /home/jay/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtinfo.so.5: no version information available (required by /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libreadline.so.6)
Please add " tracemode nosound no3d nofacegen" (Without the quotes) to the four lines which start with "[ -f" at the bottom of the ootp17.sh file and try again.
Does it start? If it does not, could you send me the files which are inside the /debug folder then?
Thanks!
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

Here's the trace file. Thanks for your help!
Attached Files
File Type: txt ootp_trace.txt (5.6 KB, 452 views)
Old 08-27-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
catskinsox
Bat Boy

Has there been any resolution to this? I'm getting the same thing.
catskinsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 10:02 PM   #5
Fishbreath
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catskinsox View Post
Has there been any resolution to this? I'm getting the same thing.
I got OOTP17 to run by using one of my standalone Linux keys. If you have have one of those, you may be able to use it. I still can't get my online league to work, though.
Old 08-28-2016, 12:58 AM   #6
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

OOTP 17, Mint 18, and Steam: fails to start

Unfortunately, the problem of running Ubuntu 16.04 based-distros, such as Linux Mint 18, with Steam-based OOTP hasn't been fixed. But the Steam version of the game runs on Ubuntu 14.04 based-distros, such as Linux Mint 17.3. I myself run my Steam-based OOTP on UberStudent, which is an Ubuntu 14.04 based-distro...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by themonk; 08-28-2016 at 12:59 AM.
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #7
comat0se
Bat Boy

Yea unfortunately downgrading to an OS that came out over 2 years ago isn't an option for many. I've had an open ticket on this since mid-July. They just ask for a trace and then go silent. Good times, glad I paid for this game. I've asked for a Linux standalone key as the demo for it does work just fine, but so far, silence.

Last edited by comat0se; 08-30-2016 at 02:13 PM.
comat0se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:43 PM   #8
themonk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by comat0se View Post
Yea unfortunately downgrading to an OS that came out over 2 years ago isn't an option for many...

I know... Just hoping that a fix is on the way. Would like, too, to be able run the game on Ubuntu 16.04...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #9
comat0se
Bat Boy

Pretty sure they don't care at all.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:38 PM   #10
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
Pretty sure they don't care at all.
Two full days working on this, including buying the latest VMWare because neither Ubuntu 16 nor Mint 18 wanted to work with my prev version of VMWare. Found no solution yet
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #11
comat0se
Bat Boy

Next time try VirtualBox, works just fine and is free.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:02 AM   #12
catskinsox
Bat Boy

I don't know if this helps, but I just installed Manjaro Gnome 16.06.1 and to my surprise, it's working fine. I have the latest Nvidia Driver (v370.28 using a 1070), Intel Core i5 6600k. I had no luck with Mint or Ubuntu, but I was also using an AMD processor at the time. Just upgraded with the new cpu, motherboard (gigabyte) and RAM.

Edit: And this IS the steam version, btw.
catskinsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #13
comat0se
Bat Boy

Shockingly, and unbelievably I got this working finally. I've logged over 100 minutes in Steam just for the splash screens starting up.

I've tried a huge amount of things, but this was the final thing that actually worked.

Steam won't start on ubuntu GNOME 16.04 - Ask Ubuntu

Basically these lines:
mv ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1{,.disable}
mv ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6{,.disable}
mv ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3{,.disable}
mv ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3.12.1{,.disable}

I hope it works for others but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't...
Old 10-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #14
TheMaus2
All Star Starter

Congrats, man.

I also listen to music no one's ever heard of in hopes of looking cool and alternative.
TheMaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:33 PM   #15
Pinetarpress
Major Leagues

I just finished my 1976 All Star Game and was prepared to start the second half...all of a sudden everyone of my players has an 80 rating...there a few exceptions but, for the most, part every player in the game from rookie ball to the big leagues have bionic ratings across the board.....please advise...thank you
Pinetarpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #16
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetarpress View Post
I just finished my 1976 All Star Game and was prepared to start the second half...all of a sudden everyone of my players has an 80 rating...there a few exceptions but, for the most, part every player in the game from rookie ball to the big leagues have bionic ratings across the board.....please advise...thank you
There are a few suggestions you can try in this thread.

Let me know if any of them work for you. Or more importantly, if they don't and I'll try to help further then.

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #17
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
There are a few suggestions you can try in this thread.

Let me know if any of them work for you. Or more importantly, if they don't and I'll try to help further then.
A reactive measure that Matt mentioned somewhere and not included in that thread is to go to Game Settings and click the Rescout and Recalc button and it typically addresses the issue. FWIW
Old 10-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #18
Aim Here
New User

Quote:
Shockingly, and unbelievably I got this working finally. I've logged over 100 minutes in Steam just for the splash screens starting up.

I've tried a huge amount of things, but this was the final thing that actually worked.

Basically these lines:
mv ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1{,.disable}
mv ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6{,.disable}
mv ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3{,.disable}
mv ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3.12.1{,.disable}

Well I already had my own workaround for the issue I had, but I like the basic gist of yours better.

However, I'd say what you describe is slightly dangerous since that also forces all the other games you're running via steam to use the native libraries, rather than the steam runtime, which may break those in turn - and when that happens, their tech support forums will be no help, since they didn't know you were monkeying around to fix OOTP. And by the time the problem happens, you'll have forgotten you ever did this. It's a recipe for confusion and pain later on.

What I did (for OOTP15 via Debian Sid, which has the same issue) was create symlinks to the libraries in ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/OOTP Baseball 15/lib64 and ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/OOTP Baseball 15/lib32 as appropriate, and the game uses those in preference to the ones in the steam runtime, and leaves the steam runtime intact for other games.

i.e., for the 32-bit libraries,
ln -s /lib/i386-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/OOTP\ Baseball\ 15/lib32
ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/OOTP\ Baseball\ 15/lib32

And for 64-bit ones:
ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3.13.3 ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/OOTP\ Baseball\ 15/lib64
ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/OOTP\ Baseball\ 15/lib64

You'll have to translate for the directory layout for the newer OOTP versions and for your specific operating system (for me, steam's directory isn't in ~/.local/share/steam at all), but you should get the idea.

Hope this helps.
Aim Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM   #19
kielcary
Bat Boy

Quote:

Basically these lines:

I know this is an old thread, but this just got OOTP 17 working on my Linux Mint 18 install - thanks man!
kielcary is offline   Reply With Quote