Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Suggestions for Future OOTP Versions Post suggestions for the next version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 03-24-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
Ramicus
Minors (Rookie Ball)

"Israeli" Names

I set up a 2013 MLB, and fiddled with the established international FA's to give me a whole bunch of Israelis. Then I started simulating to the year 2080 (that's a different story). But I noticed, as more and more of these players filter into the league, they are ALL Arabic names.

Like it or not (I personally love it), Jews ARE the majority in Israel, the Jewish state. It would make sense, I think, if there were at least SOME Jewish/modern Israeli (there's a difference) names involved. No?

If necessary, I'd be happy to help out. I have extensive experience with these things.
Ramicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 11:28 PM   #2
YZG

Well, that's been an issue with OOTP for quite some time. There's a limit of 40 namesets in the game and every country in the world must be rendered with these sets. Players are not likely to spawn in the game from most countries, so it's not a problem for most people, but if you want to add some international flavour to your game, it may ruin some realism. Indeed, among the 40 OOTP namesets, there's none covering Jewish or modern Israeli names, so they used another set instead. You'll find other countries in the game having similar problems; Hungary comes to mind.

Namesets are customizable, though. You could take a set that is not likely to be used in your game and replace all of its names with Jewish/Israeli names. You can then assign that set as the main source of names for Israel. That'll give you better results.

Maybe someone has already done that, actually. There's this post (http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-mods-names-nations/241169-american-ethnic-namesets.html#post3654988) for Jewish Americans, but perhaps there's also something for modern Israeli names. I suggest you browse that forum.

Last edited by YZG; 03-24-2014 at 11:38 PM.
YZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:03 PM   #3
Papa3
Minors (Triple A)

I totally agree with you. I'll try to help you find what to edit.

First, navigate to this folder on your PC (I use Windows):
Out of the Park Developments >> OOTP Baseball 14 >> database

To edit players' first names, open the file named "first_names.txt"
It should open in a simple text editor like Notepad.

Once it's open, you can use the find command from the top menu bar: Edit >> Find

Refer to this screenshot to help you understand what comes next:

Name:  israel.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  55.7 KB

In OOTP, Israel uses the country code 17

You'll see I typed "17" in the Find box. You may have to click "Next" a number of times to pass players whose name-occurrence-frequency also happens to be 17. Once you notice that clicking next only moves down one name at a time, you're in the Israeli names. Each line of text will have the number 17 in it so OOTP knows that these are the Israeli names. And yes, I am seeing every single one is an Arab name.

All you have to do now is change the names to whatever you want them to be. The second number on the line tells OOTP what frequency each name should be selected. It appears that every Israeli first name is a 1, which basically means they all have an equal chance of being rendered.

Each line has commas without spaces separating 3 fields. These fields mean: Name,Frequency,CountryID

I imagine you'll want some names to be more common than others, so you'll want to edit these numbers as well. If you're wondering what to change the numbers to, just check some of the other countries to get a feel. But I think a name with a 14 is simply 14 times more likely to be rendered than a name with a 1. Likewise, a name with a 28 would be 2 times more likely than a 14, 7 times more likely than a 4, and 28 times more likely than a 1. I think you get the idea.

For last names, go through the same procedure but use the file "names.txt"

One of the guys on the forum named Questdog put together an incredible file for player names that I highly recommend downloading from OOTPmods. I haven't personally edited any of these files, but I spent a little time trying to understand what Questdog did when I downloaded his.

He only made changes (and I mean A LOT of names, some very unique and always believable) to countries with a strong baseball program. Israel obviously isn't one of them, so you're on your own with these. But if you have ANY questions at all, I strongly recommend you contact Questdog.

One thing you'll need to be aware of that Questdog just told me as that the files are only looked at once - when the league is initially created. If that's the case, it doesn't sound like your changes would ever take effect for your current league. You may have to start a new one, but again check with him. He knows everything about this and can correct any errors I may have made.
Papa3 is offline   Reply With Quote