Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #21
Johnny93g
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody8200 View Post
Don't take offense. It didn't help my opinion of him after his horrible start yesterday and he was on my fantasy baseball team.
See, to me, yesterday show's he's a legit #1. Had a horrible 2nd inning, stayed in the game, didn't allow another hit and gave his team a chance to win. Which they did. Anyway, this isn't the thread for this.

Rosters do look really good btw. I usually feel the Jays are ignored/underrated, but I can't say that this year. It's a impressive roster set. Kudos to the roster makers!
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

Already posted this in the bugs thread but not sure if here is better.

Francisco 'K-Rod' Rodriguez has the 2010 major league stats of Francisco M. Rodriguez, who has no Major League stats for the 2010 season. Also Chris Carter of the Oakland Athletics has no major league stats for the 2010 or 2011 seasons, they're given to the Chris Carter who played for the Red Sox in 2008 and 2009.
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #23
haveband
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Brown View Post
Already posted this in the bugs thread but not sure if here is better.

Francisco 'K-Rod' Rodriguez has the 2010 major league stats of Francisco M. Rodriguez, who has no Major League stats for the 2010 season. Also Chris Carter of the Oakland Athletics has no major league stats for the 2010 or 2011 seasons, they're given to the Chris Carter who played for the Red Sox in 2008 and 2009.
We were already aware of Chris Carter, but we completely missed K-Rod... We'll get it fixed up.

Hb
haveband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #24
haveband
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
See, to me, yesterday show's he's a legit #1. Had a horrible 2nd inning, stayed in the game, didn't allow another hit and gave his team a chance to win. Which they did. Anyway, this isn't the thread for this.

Rosters do look really good btw. I usually feel the Jays are ignored/underrated, but I can't say that this year. It's a impressive roster set. Kudos to the roster makers!
I'll take a look at the Jays and CF and I will make some adjustments.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #25
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

This is what I love about this game and the people who devote their time making it and helping sort stuff out.

Anyone know of a 'fix' for Cy Young not being the overall wins leader, etc?
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #26
SetonHallPirate
Minors (Triple A)

Is the Triple-A Baseball National Championship Game included? I honestly can't tell.
SetonHallPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #27
haveband
All Star Reserve

Hey Guys,

For the next roster patch, which I believe Markus said will be the 19th, I want to make sure we address some of the issues brought up here as well as some others. I want to get things more inline with the official Major league opening day rosters. Keep in mind though in some cases to keep a guy on the MLB roster in the game we would need to seriously overrate some guys, which is something we really wouldn't like to do.

I also want to get the minor leagues looking more like the official opening day minor league rosters which is the biggest baby of mine. I attend about 60 minor league games a year and am probably one of the ones most passionate about the minors. I am going to look at a lot of current ratings for players. The most difficult thing about the minors is that we never have a clue as to where about 90% of these guys will be assigned so it's hard to rate them sometimes. I am looking at the opening day minor league rosters and there are guys who had say really good years in high A that I was absolutely positive would make the jump to AA and surprisingly enough they are back in high A for whatever reason. In game however, I had them rated as AA ready for current projections.

I am pretty disappointed in all of you for not commenting on my addition of the apparently unmerciful/penny-pincher new Dodger owner ... That will need to be fixed somehow

HB
Old 04-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #28
SetonHallPirate
Minors (Triple A)

The California League and South Atlantic League formats are not compatible with the game, due to the inability to have custom playoffs with a split-season format.
SetonHallPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #29
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SetonHallPirate View Post
The California League and South Atlantic League formats are not compatible with the game, due to the inability to have custom playoffs with a split-season format.
Right, and I doubt this will ever change, split season playoff stuff is a massive PITA to code.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #30
Operation Shutdown
All Star Reserve

I assume this should go here, but I think the starting pitcher stamina is set to high. I'm seeing most starting pitchers throwing close to 130 pitches a game, even if they're not having a great game.
In Nomeni Patri Et Fili Spiritus Sancti."
Operation Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #31
DDover
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Astros updates needed

First - not really a roster thing - new Owner Jim Crane has 0 Owner Patience and 0 Owner Spending. Ratings have to be below 1-10. This will cause the untimely firing of Brad Mills as manager in no time.

Second - Matt Downs does not have a rating as a 1B where he has significant historical time. He is the backup for Carlos Lee.

Finally - Jed Lowrie was just put on the DL before the opening game - retroactive to March 29th. He's eligible to come off on April 13th. Sprained Thumb.
DDover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #32
haveband
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDover View Post
First - not really a roster thing - new Owner Jim Crane has 0 Owner Patience and 0 Owner Spending. Ratings have to be below 1-10. This will cause the untimely firing of Brad Mills as manager in no time.

Second - Matt Downs does not have a rating as a 1B where he has significant historical time. He is the backup for Carlos Lee.

Finally - Jed Lowrie was just put on the DL before the opening game - retroactive to March 29th. He's eligible to come off on April 13th. Sprained Thumb.
It's my fault on the Downs thing.. I remember removing his 1b rating to check something...looks like I forgot to switch it back

As for the owner thing I will ask Markus how we can work on that because some of the "tendencies" of the owners in game are WAY off.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #33
CubbyFan23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveband View Post
It's my fault on the Downs thing.. I remember removing his 1b rating to check something...looks like I forgot to switch it back

As for the owner thing I will ask Markus how we can work on that because some of the "tendencies" of the owners in game are WAY off.
I believe we can edit those in-game and they will stick (we can change those this weekend).

I've edited them in previous roster files for OOTP12, unless the process has changed. It's under team setup.
CubbyFan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:50 PM   #34
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation Shutdown View Post
I assume this should go here, but I think the starting pitcher stamina is set to high. I'm seeing most starting pitchers throwing close to 130 pitches a game, even if they're not having a great game.
We'll adjust the starting pitcher stamina modifier in the next set, currently it is 1.1 when 1.0 should work better.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #35
Sandberg
All Star Reserve

Hopefully this is what you are looking for:

MN Twins
Trevor Plouffe

He is only rated at 1B, LF and RF, yet played mostly at SS in 2011, and has never even started at game at 1B.

AAA Twins
Tsuyoshi Nishioka

His contract is only $480k in game, but he is making $3 million a season through 2013 and a club option in 2014 for $4 million...most expensive guy in AAA! Yeah Twins!

Last edited by Sandberg; 04-06-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Sandberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:01 PM   #36
Jay Elias
Minors (Double A)

Some nitpicky draft class stuff:

Lucas Giolito doesn't throw 91-93 mph; he sits in the high 90s and was clocked repeatedly at 100 mph before hurting himself earlier this spring. Putting him at 96-98 is a more accurate reflection of his talent, and his huge fastball is what had many evaluators wondering if he would be the first ever high school righthander chosen first overall before his injury.

On that subject, Giolito and Victor Roache are both injured; Giolito with an injured elbow ligament and Roache with a broken wrist.

Miami shortstop Stephen Perez is in the free agent pool instead of in the draft pool.

Marcus Stroman has a starters arsenal, including a changeup, and has been one of the most dominant starters in college baseball this year. He is often projected to be a reliever in the majors not due to his pitch selection, but because of his stature (only 5'10) and many evaluators think he has a shot at starting similar to Sonny Gray of the A's.
Jay Elias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:07 PM   #37
CubbyFan23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandberg View Post
Hopefully this is what you are looking for:

MN Twins
Trevor Plouffe

He is only rated at 1B, LF and RF, yet played mostly at SS in 2011, and has never even started at game at 1B.

AAA Twins
Tsuyoshi Nishioka

His contract is only $480k in game, but he is making $3 million a season through 2013 and a club option in 2014 for $4 million...most expensive guy in AAA! Yeah Twins!
We switched Plouffe to 1B/OF as the Twins moved him off of the infield this year and to the outfield/DH because he was so terrible on the MIF. We wanted them to use him in the most realistic way in-game, and although that meant removing his SS rating, I think that'll result in that. But good catch.

Not sure how we missed Nishioka, thanks for catching that (Twins fans will not thank you though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Elias View Post
Some nitpicky draft class stuff:

Lucas Giolito doesn't throw 91-93 mph; he sits in the high 90s and was clocked repeatedly at 100 mph before hurting himself earlier this spring. Putting him at 96-98 is a more accurate reflection of his talent, and his huge fastball is what had many evaluators wondering if he would be the first ever high school righthander chosen first overall before his injury.

On that subject, Giolito and Victor Roache are both injured; Giolito with an injured elbow ligament and Roache with a broken wrist.

Miami shortstop Stephen Perez is in the free agent pool instead of in the draft pool.

Marcus Stroman has a starters arsenal, including a changeup, and has been one of the most dominant starters in college baseball this year. He is often projected to be a reliever in the majors not due to his pitch selection, but because of his stature (only 5'10) and many evaluators think he has a shot at starting similar to Sonny Gray of the A's.
Great stuff, we can incorporate this.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #38
haveband
All Star Reserve

Working on the NL right now and fixed Ross and Dickey, they look much better. Going to look into seeing if I can get the draft guys done too.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:04 PM   #39
mikestack
Minors (Triple A)

Mets player feedback

Hey, I'll look in more detail sometime in the near future, but a couple things that jumped out at me about the Mets roster and prospects (the Mets being the team I know a lot about):

It's been noted that R.A. Dickey is pretty badly underrated. I think much of this is in his groundball% (55% and 51% the last two years v. 43% on the game) and control (2.2 BB/9 the last couple years vs. 2.75 in the game). His batting is also somewhat underrated (he's a career .200 hitter-- not exactly knocking 'em out of the park, but way better than the game has him).

Chris Young is not yet facing live hitting in his shoulder injury rehab. I think the team is hoping he's ready for the beginning of June, but I'm not sure that there's any timetable. He's also on a minor league contract.

Speaking of injured Mets pitchers, prospect Jenrry Mejia (assigned to AAA Buffalo) is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery and I think is expected to be back in the minors in May or June.

Starting pitcher Jonathon Niese signed an extension with the Mets on 4/4. Not sure if that makes the cutoff or not for OOTP (I hope so, it looks like a solid extension for the Mets!), but Cot's has the details.

Dillon Gee throws a cutter and a slider, but to my knowledge does not throw a sinker. The cutter in particular is I think important since Gee went from non-prospect to back-of-the-rotation major leaguer when he developed the cutter.

In AAA Buffalo, 1B Joshua Satin looks like a prospect (3.5 star potential with scouting turneed off), but isn't someone who's ever talked about in that light.

AAA Buffalo pitcher Jeurys Familia has been routinely cited as throwing mid-90s (Baseball Prospectus makes mention of this, as do other places). He's listed as low 90s by OOTP.

I'll have more feedback when I have a chance to go through the roster in detail (possibly tonight, more likely tomorrow), but this is the stuff that jumped out at me.

BTW, this roster set is really much better than I remember seeing in previous years. Well done.
mikestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:09 PM   #40
CubbyFan23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestack View Post
Hey, I'll look in more detail sometime in the near future, but a couple things that jumped out at me about the Mets roster and prospects (the Mets being the team I know a lot about):

It's been noted that R.A. Dickey is pretty badly underrated. I think much of this is in his groundball% (55% and 51% the last two years v. 43% on the game) and control (2.2 BB/9 the last couple years vs. 2.75 in the game). His batting is also somewhat underrated (he's a career .200 hitter-- not exactly knocking 'em out of the park, but way better than the game has him).

Chris Young is not yet facing live hitting in his shoulder injury rehab. I think the team is hoping he's ready for the beginning of June, but I'm not sure that there's any timetable. He's also on a minor league contract.

Speaking of injured Mets pitchers, prospect Jenrry Mejia (assigned to AAA Buffalo) is rehabbing from Tommy John surgery and I think is expected to be back in the minors in May or June.

Starting pitcher Jonathon Niese signed an extension with the Mets on 4/4. Not sure if that makes the cutoff or not for OOTP (I hope so, it looks like a solid extension for the Mets!), but Cot's has the details.

Dillon Gee throws a cutter and a slider, but to my knowledge does not throw a sinker. The cutter in particular is I think important since Gee went from non-prospect to back-of-the-rotation major leaguer when he developed the cutter.

In AAA Buffalo, 1B Joshua Satin looks like a prospect (3.5 star potential with scouting turneed off), but isn't someone who's ever talked about in that light.

AAA Buffalo pitcher Jeurys Familia has been routinely cited as throwing mid-90s (Baseball Prospectus makes mention of this, as do other places). He's listed as low 90s by OOTP.

I'll have more feedback when I have a chance to go through the roster in detail (possibly tonight, more likely tomorrow), but this is the stuff that jumped out at me.

BTW, this roster set is really much better than I remember seeing in previous years. Well done.
We've been talking for a bit about the pitch types on the beta boards - I had gone with Pitch-FX data this year instead of FanGraphs regular scouting reports data, and I think that might be something I fine tune with scouting reports a bit for the next patch. For example, Pitch-FX is labeling Gee's pitches as slider/curve when it sounds like he's really cutter/curve.

Also, Pitch-FX DOES differentiate the fastballs as two or four seam, and I've used sinker as the two-seam variety (since the two pitches are very close in similarity). Gee actually mentioned in an interview re: his sinker, "I didn't throw quite as good today (as last outing), but I actually did feel better," Gee said. "I couldn't get the curveball for strikes, but at least the sinker was working today. I was a little off, but definitely pleased with the results."

Just to clarify a bit. Those pitch ratings may change for the next roster set. You may see more pitchers than you're used to throwing the sinker, and haven't really come to a consensus yet on whether that's right or wrong.

Last edited by CubbyFan23; 04-06-2012 at 05:12 PM.