Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-12-2019, 11:15 PM   #61
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
Sorry, you said "played." That's still the same thing. You didn't say "played a few innings and then simmed. Everyone here has been assuming you were playing the entire game.

Good luck with your issue.
To be fair I also didn't say "played the whole game" either. If a pinch hitter gets 1 at bat he still "played". Or are we now saying if you don't play all 9 innings you didn't play at all?

The logic being used in the thread to "assume" I meant the whole game every time is essentially the same as saying if it wasn't a CG it wasn't a GP at all. This is why assumptions are bad guys and gals.

By the way, thank you for your well wishing.
Findest2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:55 PM   #62
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
I'm not in the mood to read this entire thread, so apologies if this has been asked and answered. Has the OP created a new league to see if the problem still exists? What about trying it with one of the quickstarts? Or v19, if still installed? And what about playing out some games, at bat by at bat, until the end -- no simming at all, not even for a half inning?
Tried v19 and worked fine. Went 1-4 in the same save but it was my fault in there. Much more realistic.

As far as starting a new save i haven't decided who I want to try as. I was thinking an AL team to work with, maybe the A's. Anyways Ill let you know. I have back to back job interviews the next several days so it most likely won't be until the end of the week though.
Old 05-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #63
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findest2001 View Post
To be fair I also didn't say "played the whole game" either. If a pinch hitter gets 1 at bat he still "played". Or are we now saying if you don't play all 9 innings you didn't play at all?

The logic being used in the thread to "assume" I meant the whole game every time is essentially the same as saying if it wasn't a CG it wasn't a GP at all. This is why assumptions are bad guys and gals.

By the way, thank you for your well wishing.
If you want people to understand your situation, give us all of the information, not half.

Regardless, some people have given suggestions to test your game. If you try those, please let us know the results. Thanks.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #64
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I will openly call BS on this entire thread. Changing claims, next to no data to back it up (one run-of-the-mill first inning means nothing), and the raw impossibility of not only going 0-for-25 or 33 when playing out games himself, but that the AI manages the team to an .860 average otherwise; finally, nobody else observing any such behavior by the game. It is one of those conspiracies that are just not happening.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 11:00 AM   #65
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
If you want people to understand your situation, give us all of the information, not half.

Regardless, some people have given suggestions to test your game. If you try those, please let us know the results. Thanks.

I gave everything I deemed relevant at the time. The thread uncovered more specific issues which were then adjusted to the original statement. I held nothing back when requested.

More than 80% of people understood the statement the way it was worded. It's mostly only you and Slugga who seemed to have not understood the purpose of the post and have issues with the way it is worded. The other 30-35 posts understood, responded, and were treated in kind. If someone writes something and 80% of people who read it understand and 20% don't, is it the writer or the reader who's in need of skills improvement?

Going by that, the post was fine the way it was. Not everyone is going to understand everything one writes, but I appreciate your writing critique nonetheless. One can never stop learning in life or they shall remain stagnant in their endeavors.

As far as the suggestions, I've tried most. The rest I have explained I am working on, but will not get to until later in the week because I have several interviews I must prepare for this week. I will keep updated, but it's clear through this thread the answer is deeper than a mere discussion. I'm not giving up on it, but real life deserves far more time than a game does. So I will focus on that for a bit.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:47 PM   #66
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
More than 80% of people understood the statement the way it was worded.
I see zero evidence of this claim. Please provide some.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #67
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
I will openly call BS on this entire thread. Changing claims, next to no data to back it up (one run-of-the-mill first inning means nothing), and the raw impossibility of not only going 0-for-25 or 33 when playing out games himself, but that the AI manages the team to an .860 average otherwise; finally, nobody else observing any such behavior by the game. It is one of those conspiracies that are just not happening.
Thanks. I was trying to be somewhat diplomatic in calling the OP out, but I can't get an actual response to the things I've questioned.

One thing we know now is that he's not playing out the games. He's playing an inning or a few innings and then simming them. So he's not really playing the games; he's playing a small part of them. So if anything, there's a difference in the AI in games that are fully simmed and games that are partially simmed. If the AI is that successful when OP sims an entire game, then the same AI should be capable of overcoming a 2-0 first-inning deficit once in a while.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited by BIG17EASY; 05-13-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:06 PM   #68
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Thanks. I was trying to be somewhat diplomatic in calling the OP out, but I can't get an actual response to the things I've questioned.

One thing we know now is that he's not playing out the games. He's playing an inning or a few innings and then simming them. So he's not really playing the games; he's playing a small part of them. So if anything, there's a difference in the AI in games that are fully simmed and games that are partially simmed. If the AI is that successful when OP sims an entire game, then the same AI should be capable of overcoming a 2-0 first-inning deficit once in a while.

EDIT: Spelling

I'm not commenting on the whole post, and I apologize I do not know how to quote your post while only quoting a specific sentence, so I'll quote it here. " So if anything, there's a difference in the AI in games that are fully simmed and games that are partially simmed."

I have commented on this, and unless the game can tell the future this is not possible. The game can't possibly know whether or not I am going to sim the entirety of the game or merely a portion of it, until it has already been done. So I doubt the start of a game where I am playing can have a different "engine" (apologies I'm not sure what the word is for this) than when a game is simmed. Also, people have commented previously that the devs stated the played games and simmed games use the same "logic?" Again, I'm not a programmer so I'm unfamiliar with the terminology.

This was actually my first thought, which was quickly shot down when I realized it can't know the future. So far in my experience whenever I am playING, my pitchers get shelled like it's a t-ball game. I have recently tried going into "play game" only to purposely sim until like the 6 or 7th inning, and it'll be a 0-0 or 1-run game, and as soon as I start playing my pitching falls apart. I'm pretty much at an impasse here regarding my issue. The only thing left to try is starting a new franchise and seeing if it has the same issue. I will be sure to pick a team with great pitching just to test if the issue occurs again.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #69
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I see zero evidence of this claim. Please provide some.

The thread itself is the "evidence" you seek. Only 3 or 4 posts in more than 50 had incorrect assumptions or completely misunderstood what I was attempting to communicate. That's only 10%, but just in case I missed 3 or 4 I decided to overestimate to be conservative, and fair to your point, by saying 20%. If you need more evidence than that I cannot help you, but the answers you seek are within. (Sorry that sounds fortune cookie-ish but I didn't know how else to word it without sounding condescending, as that is not my intent).

Plus, several times within the thread people have commented that the aforementioned posts by dissenters were misled. And even the ones who stated they didn't understand fully were responded to kindly with whatever information I could provide to clarify the point if it was within reason for me to do so. IIRC I only declined to post many game log screenshots because that would be an incredible amount of work.

I'm unsure why you are attacking me, but whatever is going on I hope things work well for you, and you continue to, or begin to, enjoy life to its fullest.

Once again, thanks for contributing
Old 05-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #70
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I wonder what would happen if you used the sim to 2nd inning button and then managed your team in one pitch mode from the 2nd inning on? Would the 2nd inning become the first inning results wise? Just curious.

Last edited by David Watts; 05-13-2019 at 03:45 PM.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:35 PM   #71
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I wonder what would happen if you used the sim to 2nd inning button and then managed your team in one pitch mode from the 2nd inning on? Would the 2nd inning become the first inning results wise? Just curious.

Quote:
I have recently tried going into "play game" only to purposely sim until like the 6 or 7th inning, and it'll be a 0-0 or 1-run game, and as soon as I start playing my pitching falls apart.

Already tried this in various innings (Innings 2,4, 6, 7, 8 IIRC). Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 05-13-2019, 04:39 PM   #72
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Already tried this in various innings (Innings 2,4, 6, 7, 8 IIRC). Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Ugh, my bad, I missed that.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #73
Clavette
Major Leagues

I had to set my pitching strategy to AI. No matter what I chose for a pitch I was getting slaughtered. This was back in 19. Now I just press 1 and the pitching feels correct

I've won the majority of my games since then. Currently I'm just under a .700 winning % around the all star break with the red sox
Clavette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:47 PM   #74
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clavette View Post
I had to set my pitching strategy to AI. No matter what I chose for a pitch I was getting slaughtered. This was back in 19. Now I just press 1 and the pitching feels correct

I've won the majority of my games since then. Currently I'm just under a .700 winning % around the all star break with the red sox
I wasnt even aware you could set pitching to something other than just pressing 1. That's pretty much all I do unless Im pitching around or pitching out.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:36 PM   #75
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Lukas got back to my ticket and basically said what was already said. Game uses same formula for simming as for playing the game. It must be terrible luck. Since getting the email I played OUT 3 games and won 1, so my new record at the end of a year of franchise mode in any game where I played is 3-52.

EDIT: In all fairness I may have lost count by 1-3 games in my game total, but not my wins. I'm 100% positive of that count. So I'm somewhere between 3-49 or 3-55. I'm simply using the mean.

Last edited by Findest2001; 05-13-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:39 PM   #76
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Lukas got back to my ticket and basically said what was already said. Game uses same formula for simming as for playing the game. It must be terrible luck. Since getting the email I played OUT 3 games and won 1, so my new record at the end of a year of franchise mode in any game where I played is 3-52.

EDIT: In all fairness I may have lost count by 1-3 games in my game total, but not my wins. I'm 100% positive of that count. So I'm somewhere between 3-49 or 3-55. I'm simply using the mean.

It sounds like you’re still not satisfied with the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:45 PM   #77
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
It sounds like you’re still not satisfied with the response.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something doesn't feel right about being 3-52 (.058 WP% for those who need to visualize just how ridiculous this is). I'm pretty sure that's statistically impossible unless everyone on the team just stands there and doesn't even try to make outs. It's like 30% worse than the Cleveland Spiders (just guessing here as I don't have the info in front of me), and nobody has even come close to being that bad in almost 120 years.

Plus, would you feel satisfied with a .058 winning percentage when they play .700 ball when you're not playing? I'm not as angry because I'm used to it now, but I still want to give up on the game because as I've said, in 10+years of playing this I've never even come close something like this before. And from the look of this thread, NOBODY has.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #78
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Something doesn't feel right about being 3-52 (.058 WP% for those who need to visualize just how ridiculous this is). I'm pretty sure that's statistically impossible unless everyone on the team just stands there and doesn't even try to make outs. It's like 30% worse than the Cleveland Spiders (just guessing here as I don't have the info in front of me), and nobody has even come close to being that bad in almost 120 years.

Plus, would you feel satisfied with a .058 winning percentage when they play .700 ball when you're not playing? I'm not as angry because I'm used to it now, but I still want to give up on the game because as I've said, in 10+years of playing this I've never even come close something like this before. And from the look of this thread, NOBODY has.
OK at this point I'm suspecting something somehow got corrupted during the install. Otherwise, how can your experience be so radically different to everyone else's? You're obviously baseball savvy and not incompetent from a managerial / strategy perspective, and you never had these issue with v19. Maybe try a complete uninstall / reinstall and give it one more go? Did you fully uninstall 19 before installing 20. Shouldn't make a difference but you never know...
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:26 PM   #79
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

Tower or laptop?
Old 05-13-2019, 08:42 PM   #80
Findest2001
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hibbs View Post
OK at this point I'm suspecting something somehow got corrupted during the install. Otherwise, how can your experience be so radically different to everyone else's? You're obviously baseball savvy and not incompetent from a managerial / strategy perspective, and you never had these issue with v19. Maybe try a complete uninstall / reinstall and give it one more go? Did you fully uninstall 19 before installing 20. Shouldn't make a difference but you never know...

Never thought of that. Many people in here have PT teams in both versions, including myself. I don't have any more licenses available to reinstall 19 again...

I will try the uninstall/reinstall thing for both, though.