Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 07-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #101
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Didn't make myself clear, so the world file your using for your league just as the continent in it that you've come up with and you've deleted Africa, Asia etc ?

If I understand your question correctly, yes, everything but my world is deleted. This was based on my question and Andreas' answer earlier in this thread:

Quote:
2) Should I delete all the info about the real world in the existing .xml or append the real world with info about my fictional one?
To which he replied "delete".
Old 07-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #102
Chicagofan76
Banned

Infractions: 2/2 (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
Last night I took a deep breath, fired up Notepad++ and hunkered down to re-make world_default.xml for my new fictional league. As a complete neophyte to xml, I have to say that I found it very easy to edit in this format, and very easy to conceptualize all of the concepts compared to working with separate, comma-delineated txt files (which I tried in v11). In fact, its easier than I expected on all counts.
Cool, I'll send ya my files so I dont get frustrated and put my fist throught my Monitor It's only 25 nations largest has 275 cities smallest has 1. avg is 55. and they are all based of of real cities.
I just havent been in a balanced enough mood for me to mess with the xml's yet. I want to transfer after I get through my 2009 season. But I am going to do a variation of my current league on 12.
Chicagofan76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 08:40 PM   #103
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylertoo View Post
If I understand your question correctly, yes, everything but my world is deleted.
Yeah my league is fully fictional so that looked like the best route forward.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #104
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Raht View Post
No worries, I see your posts. Problem with certain questions is that they really needs some time to answer them because I have to look into the code first.
1) Yes, the ethnicities.txt is still being used. That ethnicities and languages stuff is not 100% completed...
2) If you create an American league, the number of foreign players in the league is still hard coded, yes.
3) I'll check that out ASAP.
Thanks, Andreas.

So, to sum up: it appears that, if you want to start a league based in the US, you'll have to accept the ethnic breakdowns that are hardcoded -- in other words, bunches of Venezuelan and Dominican players. I tested this by starting a league based in England, and the ethnicities all worked out fine, just as I had edited them in the .xml file. The only workaround, then, seems to be the one suggested by Markmeister: invent an alternate US in the database and treat it like a foreign country. That magically corrects all of the ethnicity problems, both for the US and for foreign players.

I'll just add that this is crazy. Why hardcode that information anyway? And why do it just for the US?

Also, the idea of having a dynamic world_default that changes as the game progresses? That would be awesome, and if there's anything I can do to help, let me know.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #105
Slade58
Bat Boy

Hardcoding the ethnic breakdowns in the US only is beyond crazy. I can't figure out any reason for this when you could easily edit the XML file to have the breakdown that is hardcoded already. If I had known this I wouldn't have bought the game, it is that important to me.
Slade58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #106
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade58 View Post
Hardcoding the ethnic breakdowns in the US only is beyond crazy. I can't figure out any reason for this when you could easily edit the XML file to have the breakdown that is hardcoded already. If I had known this I wouldn't have bought the game, it is that important to me.
It wouldn't stop me buying the game but I think it is a bit silly.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:01 AM   #107
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

As I understand it, the hardcoding of US ethnicities was meant to be a temporary fix. However, if this has been in place since 2006, it goes from being a somewhat carelessly applied band-aid to a full-blown cover-up. Call it... Ethnicitygate! A cleverly orchestrated and executed plot to deceive the OOTP faithful into believing they had the power to edit US ethnicities when, in fact, their customization efforts were in vain.

Ok, so in all seriousness, this isn't so much a conspiracy as it is a simple matter of neglecting to follow up on an area of the game that wasn't working properly. Nonetheless, it does shed light on a glaring deficiency of the player creation engine that needs immediate attention.

Again, this is an aspect of OOTP that should be a top priority for v13 and it's obvious that Andreas is on board with this. And I do believe Markus recognizes the need to make improvements in this area. I just hope that he doesn't get sidetracked adding more glamorous features. A re-working of the database and league/player creation engine may not seem like a back-of-the-box feature, but if done right, I firmly believe that it could be.

I can practically guarantee that people will be drooling over the idea of the game automatically generating realistic leagues, teams, ballparks, and players. While it's true that most fans of fictional play prefer to set up their own universe, I'm confident that the vast majority of them would welcome the idea of OOTP generating such seemingly realistic content that they no longer feel compelled to spend hours and hours manually customizing their universes.

For now, though, let's keep our fingers crossed that some of the fixes and features promised for upcoming patches will at least allow us to bridge the gap until more substantial changes can be made next year.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #108
DCHepler25
All Star Starter

After reading through this thread, I feel confident I can create the state of Pennsylvania as a nation for my fictional league. Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and information in this topic!
Old 07-22-2011, 04:10 AM   #109
Muzamba
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHepler25 View Post
After reading through this thread, I feel confident I can create the state of Pennsylvania as a nation for my fictional league. Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and information in this topic!
Again, if you're patient, you might save yourself a lot of work by waiting for the next big update/patch that should be coming out in a few weeks. It will implement the option to set up leagues in specific regions. This means all you'll have to do is create a region that includes only the state of Pennsylvania. (In other words, you'll only need to add about 3 lines of code to the database instead of altering most of the rest of the database. )
Old 07-22-2011, 02:42 PM   #110
Dark Horse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
Again, if you're patient, you might save yourself a lot of work by waiting for the next big update/patch that should be coming out in a few weeks. It will implement the option to set up leagues in specific regions. This means all you'll have to do is create a region that includes only the state of Pennsylvania. (In other words, you'll only need to add about 3 lines of code to the database instead of altering most of the rest of the database. )
Muzamba, will the regions feature keep international free agents from wandering into your fictional world?

With v11, i had finally figured a way to only allow players from three nations to be used. But now in v12, you have these international free agents that pop in.

i'm wondering if i'll need to write a ticket to ask for a way to turn international free agents off.

A Justafan Fan

LBA Geo Bahn Rock Hounds

fan of the ISLANDIAN PRO ALLIANCE
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:37 PM   #111
tylertoo
Major Leagues

Oh my god. I'd spent hours re-making world_default.xml for a fictional league and lost it all.

I lost it when I loaded an existing game in v12 that used the original xml file, and it appears to have overwritten my revised one.

Of course, I'd never backed it up my version, so ultimately its my fault.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:28 AM   #112
DCHepler25
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzamba View Post
I wasn't patient, but it didn't take that much work. I just made a copy of the original, deleted everything, and then copied over the stuff that I wanted in. Finished it off with a few wording changes to make Pennsylvania a nation. It only took about an hour - mostly to figure out the correct structure.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #113
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

This seemed to have worked for me. I want the nations change to take affect but have the US as is. So I did this.

1. Copy nation 206 to the end of the file.
2. Change ID to 270 and name to The United States of America.
3. Change 206 abbreviation to US.
4. Delete all but first state and city in nation 206. Change ID of New York, first state, to 3500 and ID of first city to 95,000.
5. Change ID in regions from 206 to 270.

Now the defualt fictional puts all teams in the only city in New York until I change nation to my new US. changes to nation are sticking. In 1871, I have mostly English and Irish foreign players. I get all the US cities, cities, states, and regions without having to recode something like 12,000 cities and states so they are no duplicates.
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #114
tylertoo
Major Leagues

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread, particularly Markmeister and Andreas. With the guidance here, I figured out how to edit world_default for a new fictional league in v12, despite never having worked with .xml before.

In case anyone else is trying, I post mine here. Its a single continent, seven ethnicities, two nations, each nation has two states, each state has four major-league sized cities and five minor league-sized cities.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<WORLD id="1" name="default" fileversion="OOTP Developments 2011-06-29 16:33:09">
    <LANGUAGES>
    <LANGUAGE id="0" name="Setherian" />
    <LANGUAGE id="1" name="Helderean" />
    <LANGUAGE id="2" name="Nomystian" />
    <LANGUAGE id="3" name="Rebular" />
    <LANGUAGE id="4" name="Foel" />
    <LANGUAGE id="5" name="Krel" />
    <LANGUAGE id="6" name="Amandean" />
    </LANGUAGES>
    <CONTINENTS>
    <CONTINENT id="10" name="Setheridge" pop="14112200" abbr="SETH" dem="Setherian">
        <NATIONS>    
        <NATION id="270" name="Setheridge" pop="7649000" lid="0" gender="0" bbqual="3" abbr="STH" dem="Setherian">
            <ETHNICITIES>
            <ETHNICITY lid="0" pct="62" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="1" pct="2" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="2" pct="11" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="3" pct="8" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="4" pct="7" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="5" pct="5" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="6" pct="5" />
            </ETHNICITIES>
            <STATES>
            <STATE id="3500" name="Belville Plains" pop="4068000" abbr="BEL">
                <CITIES>
                <CITY id="95000" name="Binney" pop="974000" lat="120" long="-15" abbr="BIN" />
                <CITY id="95001" name="Kendall" pop="1352000" lat="70" long="-135" abbr="KEN" />
                <CITY id="95002" name="McKilligan" pop="632000" lat="80" long="-50" abbr="MCK" />
                <CITY id="95003" name="Mount Waylandtown" pop="287000" lat="50" long="7" abbr="MTW" />
                <CITY id="95004" name="Blue  Square" pop="257000" lat="90" long="-105" abbr="BSQ" />
                <CITY id="95005" name="Goodwyn Fork" pop="102000" lat="40" long="-110" abbr="GWF" />
                <CITY id="95006" name="Red Beach" pop="178000" lat="110" long="5" abbr="RB" />
                <CITY id="95007" name="Sandbachana Woods" pop="153000" lat="70" long="-20" abbr="SBW" />
                <CITY id="95008" name="Tredgettmond Butte" pop="133000" lat="120" long="-120" abbr="TMB" />
                </CITIES>
            </STATE>
            <STATE id="3501" name="Whistedana" pop="3581000" abbr="WHS">
                <CITIES>
                <CITY id="95020" name="Boundymount Corner" pop="303000" lat="-5" long="-150" abbr="BMC" />
                <CITY id="95021" name="New Ungerapolis" pop="802000" lat="-45" long="-85" abbr="NEW" />
                <CITY id="95022" name="Schawmount City" pop="1277000" lat="20" long="0" abbr="SCH" />
                <CITY id="95023" name="Tillbrookson Bluff" pop="449000" lat="10" long="-65" abbr="TIL" />
                <CITY id="95024" name="Bottom Brook" pop="229000" lat="25" long="-125" abbr="BBR" />
                <CITY id="95025" name="Finchamland" pop="198000" lat="15" long="-25" abbr="FIN" />
                <CITY id="95026" name="MacKaness" pop="143000" lat="-30" long="-70" abbr="MAC" />
                <CITY id="95027" name="Mount Jarviswell" pop="98000" lat="7" long="-60" abbr="MTJ" />
                <CITY id="95028" name="Red Mine" pop="82000" lat="-25" long="-90" abbr="RM" />
                </CITIES>
            </STATE>
            </STATES>
        </NATION>
        <NATION id="271" name="Helderan" pop="6463200" lid="1" gender="0" bbqual="3" abbr="HEL" dem="Helderan">
            <ETHNICITIES>
            <ETHNICITY lid="0" pct="3" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="1" pct="65" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="2" pct="1" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="3" pct="1" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="4" pct="11" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="5" pct="2" />
            <ETHNICITY lid="6" pct="17" />
            </ETHNICITIES>
            <STATES>
            <STATE id="3510" name="Osler" pop="3063200" abbr="OSL">
                <CITIES>
                <CITY id="95040" name="Bereton Park" pop="485000" lat="85" long="70" abbr="BER" />
                <CITY id="95041" name="Crenshaw City" pop="309000" lat="35" long="140" abbr="CRN" />
                <CITY id="95042" name="Red Tummlyn" pop="655000" lat="25" long="80" abbr="RTM" />
                <CITY id="95043" name="Skate River" pop="879000" lat="25" long="30" abbr="SKR" />
                <CITY id="95044" name="Fanningana Falls Park" pop="284000" lat="20" long="45" abbr="FFP" />
                <CITY id="95045" name="Folgerley Centre Bluff" pop="153000" lat="55" long="110" abbr="FCB" />
                <CITY id="95046" name="McKinvenmond Lakes" pop="112000" lat="65" long="35" abbr="MKL" />
                <CITY id="95047" name="Pear Falls" pop="94300" lat="55" long="58" abbr="PF" />
                <CITY id="95048" name="Powlett Creek Summit" pop="91900" lat="5" long="70" abbr="PCS" />
                </CITIES>
            </STATE>
            <STATE id="3511" name="Pargerveron" pop="3400000" abbr="PAR">
                <CITIES>
                <CITY id="95060" name="Gregorsoncott" pop="298000" lat="-60" long="-40" abbr="GRG" />
                <CITY id="95061" name="Kern" pop="518000" lat="5" long="35" abbr="KRN" />
                <CITY id="95062" name="West Somerchester" pop="767000" lat="0" long="-40" abbr="WSC" />
                <CITY id="95063" name="Widmertown" pop="1183000" lat="-45" long="40" abbr="WID" />
                <CITY id="95064" name="Buck Falls Heights" pop="184000" lat="-25" long="-2" abbr="BFH" />
                <CITY id="95065" name="Grand LaValleyford Prairie" pop="162000" lat="-40" long="-65" abbr="GLF" />
                <CITY id="95066" name="Hot Bear Bend" pop="133000" lat="-20" long="50" abbr="HBB" />
                <CITY id="95067" name="Leadland" pop="84000" lat="-40" long="110" abbr="LDL" />
                <CITY id="95068" name="McMurrichswell Cove" pop="71000" lat="-80" long="90" abbr="MMC" />
                </CITIES>
            </STATE>
            </STATES>
        </NATION>
        </NATIONS>
    </CONTINENT>
    </CONTINENTS>
    <REGIONS>
    <REGION id="1" name="USA: East Coast">
        <REGION_STATES>
        <REGION_STATE id="118" />
        <REGION_STATE id="122" />
        <REGION_STATE id="125" />
(((snip)))
        <REGION_NATION id="251" />
        <REGION_NATION id="252" />
        </REGION_NATIONS>
    </REGION>
    </REGIONS>
</WORLD>
I left the region section untouched; as it is unimplemented I doubt it will affect this fictional league and I was unsure if I could simply delete it.

If anyone spots mistakes/problems let me know but it seems to work fine in-game.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:10 AM   #115
Andreas Raht
Administrator

Quote:
I left the region section untouched; as it is unimplemented I doubt it will affect this fictional league and I was unsure if I could simply delete it.
I never tried that, but I'm 99% sure that it's not a problem at all to delete the whole regions section if you do not need it.
Andreas Raht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 PM   #116
tombair
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggio509 View Post
This seemed to have worked for me. I want the nations change to take affect but have the US as is. So I did this.

1. Copy nation 206 to the end of the file.
2. Change ID to 270 and name to The United States of America.
3. Change 206 abbreviation to US.
4. Delete all but first state and city in nation 206. Change ID of New York, first state, to 3500 and ID of first city to 95,000.
5. Change ID in regions from 206 to 270.
Did you have to change all the schools? I noticed they have country code 206.

Bob Lemon
tombair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #117
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Ok, having read through this thread I'm still..., well, confused.

Let me explain what I am trying to accomplish and then hopefully someone can help me accomplish it.

I want to create a league in the Province of Nova Scotia. I know NS is already in the file bevause it's part of Canada.

What I would like though, is every player that ever comes into the league to be born in Nova Scotia.

So if I added a "Nation" called Nova Scotia, then added the States and Cities, will that work? Will it show up in game when creating my fictional league?

Do I need to use all new numbers for state and city id's or can I just copy and paste all the cities already listed under NS in the Canada Nation?

How do I set it so only english is used and only caucasion & african canadian players will show up? ie I don't want asain or south american or any other players?

Also would I have to edit the names file to eliminate asain names? Basically I want just traditional Canadian names.

Also what do the "lid", "gender", and "bbqual" numbers equate to? I'm thinking one of these would have something to do with my wanting caucasion/african canadian only?

Sorry for what may be odd questions, but this whole xml thing is a bit mind boggling to me.

Thanks for any and all help, much appreciated.

Edit - figured some of it out, lid = language id. Is there an explanation for the lines in the ethnicities file anywhere? I really want just english, but not sure what all the numbers mean after the country name.

gender is obvious, but again, how would I set this to what I'm trying for?

bbqual = baseball quality - what is the best and worst? Is it like 1 - 10?

Last edited by Bluenoser; 10-02-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #118
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Ok, having read through this thread I'm still..., well, confused.

Let me explain what I am trying to accomplish and then hopefully someone can help me accomplish it.

I want to create a league in the Province of Nova Scotia. I know NS is already in the file bevause it's part of Canada.

What I would like though, is every player that ever comes into the league to be born in Nova Scotia.

So if I added a "Nation" called Nova Scotia, then added the States and Cities, will that work? Will it show up in game when creating my fictional league?
I think it should, but someone else with more experience editing the world_default.xml file should be able to answer your question more definitively.

Quote:
Do I need to use all new numbers for state and city id's or can I just copy and paste all the cities already listed under NS in the Canada Nation?
I think the old numbers should be OK.

Quote:
How do I set it so only english is used and only caucasion & african canadian players will show up? ie I don't want asain or south american or any other players?

Also would I have to edit the names file to eliminate asain names? Basically I want just traditional Canadian names.
In the world_default.xml file, for the ETHNICITY value, set it at:

lid="32" pct="100"

That will give you 100% English-Canadian for your league. Then, in the ethnicities.txt file, go to the line:

32,Canadian,xxx,0,0,xxx,0,

Where the values are "xxx," change that to some proportion of 1000, depending on how many African (first) and Caucasian (second) faces you want to generate. For instance:

32,Canadian,300,0,0,700,0,

would yield a 30-70 split between African and Caucasian players.

Quote:
Edit - figured some of it out, lid = language id. Is there an explanation for the lines in the ethnicities file anywhere? I really want just english, but not sure what all the numbers mean after the country name.
A list of the language id's is at the beginning of the world_default.xml file. They can also be found here.

Quote:
gender is obvious, but again, how would I set this to what I'm trying for?
Not sure what you're asking here.

Quote:
bbqual = baseball quality - what is the best and worst? Is it like 1 - 10?
Baseball quality goes from 0-5:

0=non-existent
1=poor
2=fair
3=average
4=good
5=excellent
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #119
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

joefromchicago - Thanks very much for your help, greatly appreciated.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:14 AM   #120
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Another question, hopefully someone can answer.

The longitude and latitude - how critical is it that these are precise? What does it affect? I'm guessing it has something to do with the typical weather for an area, but that's only a guess.

Tks