Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
MarkJ
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yet Another Historical Minor League Question

I could be mistaken on this, but I understand the game has the ability to create actual historical minor leagues along with actual historical minor league players. Thus, if I simulate, say, the 1965 season, the actual minor leagues in that year should be there too. I tried this, and checked out the Northwest League, which is the Short Season A league in my area (though it was an A league in those days). Under a previous OOTP I had laboriously recreated the 1965 NW league with actual players, and I wanted to see how OOTP17 did it. Well, the NWL was there, with 6 teams just like in 1965, but not the same 6 teams; for example, it had the Bellingham Mariners and did not have my local team, the Tri City Atoms, managed in those days by Cal Ripken Sr. and blessed with the presence of Steve Dalkowski, the fastest (and wildest) pitcher ever. I also created the 1941 season, and the only minor league it had was the AA level (highest minor league level in those days) American Association--no International League or Pacific Coast League, and the Am. Assoc. teams were with what appeared to be fictional names, e.g., no St. Paul Saints. So--do I have to load from a special database to get those actual teams and players?
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #2
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

I'd suggest posting your question here. You might be more likely to get an answer.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 06:03 AM   #3
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I could be mistaken on this, but I understand the game has the ability to create actual historical minor leagues along with actual historical minor league players. Thus, if I simulate, say, the 1965 season, the actual minor leagues in that year should be there too. I tried this, and checked out the Northwest League, which is the Short Season A league in my area (though it was an A league in those days). Under a previous OOTP I had laboriously recreated the 1965 NW league with actual players, and I wanted to see how OOTP17 did it. Well, the NWL was there, with 6 teams just like in 1965, but not the same 6 teams; for example, it had the Bellingham Mariners and did not have my local team, the Tri City Atoms, managed in those days by Cal Ripken Sr. and blessed with the presence of Steve Dalkowski, the fastest (and wildest) pitcher ever. I also created the 1941 season, and the only minor league it had was the AA level (highest minor league level in those days) American Association--no International League or Pacific Coast League, and the Am. Assoc. teams were with what appeared to be fictional names, e.g., no St. Paul Saints. So--do I have to load from a special database to get those actual teams and players?
This is not at all true in my test. Everything is correct Tri-City Atoms and all.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #4
MarkJ
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Hmmm

Maybe I'm doing something wrong in setting up the game. Did your TC Atoms team have historical players, e.g., Mike Fiore, Tom Fisher, Bobby Floyd, Bill Harris, Dave May, or Ron Stone, all of whom made the majors at some point in their careers?
Old 03-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #5
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Yes, but after creation they may be assigned to another level very quickly depending on the organizations needs.

BTW: I used to go to Atoms games with my friends and I remember when a tornado knocked the right field fence Out Of The Park!

Last edited by Spritze; 03-23-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Spritze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
MarkJ
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Well, the solution was quite simple--download the current version of the game, as I only had the beta pre-release installed. So yes, I did get the correct leagues and teams, but my beloved Atoms of 1965 only had one actual player from that year, Edward Petryshyn. The other players were real, mostly from the Orioles organization. The infamous Steve Dalkowski is playing for the Seattle Angels in the PCL, with a rather pedestrian fastball speed of 85-90 mph instead of his real 100+, but to be fair 1965 was his last year in organized ball and he'd lost his speed due to an injury a few years earlier. So--you went to Atoms games? Are you from the Tri City area?
Old 03-24-2016, 09:25 PM   #7
Spritze
OOTP Historical Czar

Kennewick and Yakima
Old 03-24-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Well, the solution was quite simple--download the current version of the game, as I only had the beta pre-release installed. So yes, I did get the correct leagues and teams, but my beloved Atoms of 1965 only had one actual player from that year, Edward Petryshyn. The other players were real, mostly from the Orioles organization. The infamous Steve Dalkowski is playing for the Seattle Angels in the PCL, with a rather pedestrian fastball speed of 85-90 mph instead of his real 100+, but to be fair 1965 was his last year in organized ball and he'd lost his speed due to an injury a few years earlier. So--you went to Atoms games? Are you from the Tri City area?
The other players are almost certainly hanging around the organization, of a team they played for that season or the last major league team they played for. My suggestion if you want to play with that team is to go get the actual players by making yourself Commissioner.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote