Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #61
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Yes, you need to be careful using this data for Perfect League decisions. These leagues have stacked lineups with lots of platoons and the level of play is too much for some pitchers that do well at the lower levels. This FIP formula also ignores platoon splits and those weaknesses will be exposed at Perfect level as well. The list is just a good general ordering and useful for people who have no idea who the good pitchers are. However, it would be silly to make Perfect League decisions based on a difference of 5-10 spots in this list.

The top guys are the really good ones though, for the most part. However, the Pitcher of the Month for April in my Perfect League was near the bottom of this list so...
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:48 AM   #62
llcmac
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Is Tiny Bonham good? he has good Con/Mov. His Stuff is only 59, I know you're saying that doesn't matter as much but there must be a threshold, if they aren't missing bats, the hitter's getting more chances, right?
llcmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:20 AM   #63
Weaseltail
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by llcmac View Post
Is Tiny Bonham good? he has good Con/Mov. His Stuff is only 59, I know you're saying that doesn't matter as much but there must be a threshold, if they aren't missing bats, the hitter's getting more chances, right?
I'm a fan. I've had him on multiple teams across multiple levels. Over the past three seasons in DiL, he's posted a WAR value of 4.2, 2.3, and currently 0.9 w/ a 1.96 ERA. He eats a ton of innings and generally keeps you in the game since he doesn't walk many and won't give up a lot of HRs.

My team has good def and the park is pretty stingy, so it generally plays to his strengths. Not sure how he would fare on a more offense-focused, since he won't generate a lot of K's and gives up his share of contact.
Weaseltail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #64
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Yep, Tiny is pretty legit. Not so much at the top level but I'd say up to Diamond you can rely on him. At Perfect...it'll be tough, but then its tough on everyone so who knows.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:57 AM   #65
humboldt1498
Minors (Triple A)

Great thread guys, keep up the good work!
humboldt1498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #66
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWR View Post
Yep, Tiny is pretty legit. Not so much at the top level but I'd say up to Diamond you can rely on him. At Perfect...it'll be tough, but then its tough on everyone so who knows.
Yes, I am finding out that good pitching in the perfect league is a crapshoot from game to game. That has been driving me crazy the last two seasons.🤯🤷*♂️
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #67
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Yes, I am finding out that good pitching in the perfect league is a crapshoot from game to game. That has been driving me crazy the last two seasons.🤯🤷*♂️
I'm in Diamond and my 96 OA Pedro is running a 6.10 ERA through 6 games. At this pace, I think I'm going to need 1/2 my bullpen as long relievers so that they don't tire out.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #68
Thalion
Major Leagues

It may be kind of a crapshoot, and I only have a little bit of experience in it, but I think the higher you go in levels, the more importance both defense and park factors play in determining how good your pitching is.
Thalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #69
jd200600
Minors (Double A)

Joe Musgrove, 73 ovr, dominated my Diamond league in April. I really need to figure out what that guy is doing with his team to see why my staff is so terrible!
jd200600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #70
llcmac
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Has anyone seen success building GB pitchers in a small park with a great infield, or FB pitchers in a large park with rangy outfielders?
Old 01-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #71
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Most of the good pitchers are flyball pitchers. Groundball pitchers are rare among the 90+ pitchers.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #72
Thalion
Major Leagues

Quote:
Has anyone seen success building GB pitchers in a small park with a great infield, or FB pitchers in a large park with rangy outfielders?
The latter may work, though I'm not sure how you can prove it, but I doubt the small park will help GB pitchers. It's not like the infield shrinks.

What probably helps the most are BA park factors.
Thalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:29 PM   #73
llcmac
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Most of the good pitchers are flyball pitchers. Groundball pitchers are rare among the 90+ pitchers.
Oh, didn't know that. I'm in my second season, saving up for a high gold pitcher ATM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #74
llcmac
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
The latter may work, though I'm not sure how you can prove it, but I doubt the small park will help GB pitchers. It's not like the infield shrinks.

What probably helps the most are BA park factors.
My thinking was GB pitchers give up less fly balls/HRs and then you can bang them out of the stadium on offense.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #75
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
as far as I'm aware, they don't have GB/FB data before like 2003? So all historical pitchers are listed as FB I'm pretty sure.

EDIT: That said, I really don't put much stock into gb/fb stuff compared to ratings/park factors.

Last edited by CrazyWR; 01-08-2019 at 01:34 PM. Reason: ETA
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #76
freedavebrown
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
My thinking was GB pitchers give up less fly balls/HRs and then you can bang them out of the stadium on offense.
I dont think the park size actually matters. only the factors.
freedavebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #77
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Park factors are pretty important IMO, as well as your offensive strategy, and defense. It seems to be pretty effective to build your offense around either one of contact/gap or power/eye, and setting park factors appropriately. So for contact/gap that would be a "big" park i.e. low HR factor but high AVG factor. For a HR/OBP based offense you choose high HR factor and low AVG factor (i.e. "small"). This way you can build the strongest team for your buck, because you can acquire less balanced players with lower ratings in other areas.

Then once you have made that decision, you build your rotation around that too. So if your park is "big" then it would make sense to focus on flyball pitchers. GB have much higher BABIP than FB, and with the high AVG factor a lot of groundballs should turn into singles which would not be ideal. FB, while having a much lower BABIP than GB, have their own significant downside in allowing a much higher SLG. However that downside is somewhat minimized by the lower HR factor.

So to me it kind of breaks down into two "most ideal" paths of what to focus on:

1) Contact/Gap Hitting --> "Big" Park --> FB pitchers --> OF defense
2) Power/Eye Hitting --> "Small" Park --> GB pitchers --> IF defense
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #78
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalion View Post
It may be kind of a crapshoot, and I only have a little bit of experience in it, but I think the higher you go in levels, the more importance both defense and park factors play in determining how good your pitching is.
I'm in my second season of not having any clue how to not get my starting pitching blown up, although they showed some improvements in their last few starts. I have gone with super-elite D with every starter other than Jose Ramirez (who DHs vs. RHP), every starter is 80+ D, with 4 over 100 when they get fully trained.

I'm thinking I'm going to try focusing my pitching more heavily on Movement+Control. If I can keep the ball in the park and limit walks, my D should take care of many of the extra balls in play from lack of strikeouts.
Attached Images
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #79
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

And just as I post this, Chris Sale pitches a 1-hitter through 8 innings. The same guy with 8-run 5-inning and 9-run 5-inning starts.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 01:25 AM   #80
Dunzie
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
And just as I post this, Chris Sale pitches a 1-hitter through 8 innings. The same guy with 8-run 5-inning and 9-run 5-inning starts.
I’m starting to think that’s just par for the course at Perfect levels. I have pitchers having good years that still get lit up like Vegas every 2-3 starts.
Dunzie is offline   Reply With Quote