Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 04-03-2020, 06:17 AM   #1
sdoug78
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Stadium Expansions

Hello all,

I am interested to know if anyone on here expands their teams stadiums as time progresses in their games?

To put into a little context, I have started a fictional league beginning in 1871 (30 teams) using the finances of that era and some of the historical and smaller stadiums in the mods section, but with fictional small capacities and modern day rules.

Since my league does not follow the RL league structure of that era or rules I cannot follow the RL expansions but as time progresses and finances increase and the attendance baseline increase teams will naturally improve their stadiums and increase capacities.

Currently I am recording teams average attendances each year and am looking at the best way of deciding when and how they can increase stadium capacities. I will use the stadiums in the mods forum for their new stadiums and manually adjust capacities, but my dilemma is when to increase and how to implement it especially financially upon the teams.

I used die rolls to determine the initial capacities so as to make it random, and am thinking of continuing that once a team has averaged 75% or more of their capacity for 2 or more continuous years to determine when they increase capacities and by how much but I am stuck on how I can have this impact a teams finances.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else does something similar in their game worlds and how they implement this themselves?

And yes, before anyone says, due to the lockdown situation here in Switzerland I have had a lot more spare time recently to try this 😉
sdoug78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #2
jmolony3
Minors (Double A)

I have done this to reflect changing attendance levels. It would be better if the owner were involved in the process. Perhaps buying 2500 additional seats for $1,000 a seat or something along that line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jmolony3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
sdoug78
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Yes, I was thinking of doing something like that and manually editing the teams finances at the end of each season until they have paid off the upgrade and only allowing 1 upgrade every 10 years or so. I’m still trying to decide and finalise the parameters I want to set.

It’s additional work to just playing the game but all adds to my fictional world, I’m still only at 1876 so calculating costs will be a bit more tricky but I’m sure I can find something on google that will tell me what the equivalent of a dollar today was back then and will then easily be able to transfer the costs over.

You are right that it would be easier if the game could include the option to request a stadium expansion from the owner, in a similar way that the football manager game does. It’s something I hope to see introduced in future editions.

Last edited by sdoug78; 04-03-2020 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #4
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

In an online league years back, We had a system where it would cost something like $500 in cash for each seat. Our finances were lower so a 1000 seat upgrade would only cost 500k.

Something a little more realistic is keeping track on a spreadsheet of when a stadium was built so that you can "build a new one" every 30 years or so

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #5
sdoug78
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have a spreadsheet set up, recording the stadium capacity at the leagues inception and their average attendance each year and the % of how full it was that year.

So when they reach a yet to be determined firgure of say 75% of capacity for 2 concurrent years they would be eligible to expand, i just haven’t come up with the formula to determine how much they increase by or the finances behind it.

I will track stadium capacity in my spreadsheet also each year and only allow a team to expand the stadium every 10-20 years if I every reach that far into the game.
Old 04-03-2020, 11:13 AM   #6
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoug78 View Post
I have a spreadsheet set up, recording the stadium capacity at the leagues inception and their average attendance each year and the % of how full it was that year.

So when they reach a yet to be determined firgure of say 75% of capacity for 2 concurrent years they would be eligible to expand, i just haven’t come up with the formula to determine how much they increase by or the finances behind it.

I will track stadium capacity in my spreadsheet also each year and only allow a team to expand the stadium every 10-20 years if I every reach that far into the game.
Realistically, how many teams are really on the hook for their stadium build? MLB Owners hold their cities hostage over getting them to foot the bill. Even if the team agrees to pay a percentage, it often doesn't necessarily affect the team's game budget

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

Old 04-03-2020, 12:13 PM   #7
sdoug78
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
Realistically, how many teams are really on the hook for their stadium build? MLB Owners hold their cities hostage over getting them to foot the bill. Even if the team agrees to pay a percentage, it often doesn't necessarily affect the team's game budget
True, and messing with team finances could over complicate things and have serious knock on effects I haven’t considered further down the line.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:57 PM   #8
edapes
Minors (Single A)

I wish this was a league evolution built into the game.
edapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edapes View Post
I wish this was a league evolution built into the game.
absolutely. It makes it really hard to do a long term sim with a fictional early 1900's setup

Old 06-15-2020, 08:37 PM   #10
JamesCh
Bat Boy

yes, this is something the Football Manager series does very well. I have a fictional universe of 86 teams there, and every year a half dozen or so expand, and one or two build entirely new stadiums (if they are rich).
JamesCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:19 PM   #11
luckymann
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoug78 View Post
Hello all,

I am interested to know if anyone on here expands their teams stadiums as time progresses in their games?

To put into a little context, I have started a fictional league beginning in 1871 (30 teams) using the finances of that era and some of the historical and smaller stadiums in the mods section, but with fictional small capacities and modern day rules.

Since my league does not follow the RL league structure of that era or rules I cannot follow the RL expansions but as time progresses and finances increase and the attendance baseline increase teams will naturally improve their stadiums and increase capacities.

Currently I am recording teams average attendances each year and am looking at the best way of deciding when and how they can increase stadium capacities. I will use the stadiums in the mods forum for their new stadiums and manually adjust capacities, but my dilemma is when to increase and how to implement it especially financially upon the teams.

I used die rolls to determine the initial capacities so as to make it random, and am thinking of continuing that once a team has averaged 75% or more of their capacity for 2 or more continuous years to determine when they increase capacities and by how much but I am stuck on how I can have this impact a teams finances.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else does something similar in their game worlds and how they implement this themselves?

And yes, before anyone says, due to the lockdown situation here in Switzerland I have had a lot more spare time recently to try this 😉
I have just started a fictional universe in which a league and all its franchises have been started from scratch. As part of this the storyline involves stadiums being built whose capacity will increase as their construction evolves, most likely over the first 5 years. So I'll be manually increasing the capacity of each stadium at the end of each of those seasons.

I'll make note of any goings-on and post here but as I play my games out fully I'm afraid any effects may take far too long to be of use here.
luckymann is offline   Reply With Quote