Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Front Office Football > FOF - General Discussions

FOF - General Discussions Discuss the upcoming Front Office Football by OOTP Developments here.

Old 05-26-2018, 01:17 AM   #61
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by james17 View Post
The NFL uses NCAA football as their minor leagues.
i'd also consider the practice squads as the "minor league" in football. Being a practice squad only player in the nfl on average get's paid more than playing the cfl.

I think it would be a fun feature to add option for minor league in a future version but it might be difficult to implement as it would require different mentality in the AI and further rule customization.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:44 PM   #62
perez24
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
The ability to have a minor league system like MLB or NHL.

Don't know why the NFL doesn't have at least one minor league. Seems like their only concern is making money and the last thing they want too do is spend money.
They do have a minor league system...the NCAA. There is semi-pro football now and back in the day NFL guys who were just barely hanging on would play there. I know Marv Hubbard of the Raiders/Lions did. I'm sure there were others.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:50 AM   #63
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perez24 View Post
They do have a minor league system...the NCAA. There is semi-pro football now and back in the day NFL guys who were just barely hanging on would play there. I know Marv Hubbard of the Raiders/Lions did. I'm sure there were others.
Maybe for every position except QB. Many an NFL team has had too throw in the towel once their No. 1 QB get's shelved with an injury.

A minor league system would give NFL teams other options for QB(especially late in the season).

I could see minor leagues working during the NFL season(play games on Wednesday and Thursday Night's and put NFL Thursday Night football out to pasture).

Also I could see them going head to head with the two proposed Spring Leagues.

I could also see CFL trying USA expansion again since most sports channels need live programming more than ever. If they stuck to cities in the northern part of the states it would probably work.

Last edited by Orioles1966; 05-27-2018 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:57 AM   #64
colourmebrad
Minors (Double A)

I always figured part of the reason there wasn't an MLB/MiLB style system was because of the prevalence of injuries and the general toll football takes on your body. You can't have a player spend 3-4 years beating the **** out themselves in the minors before being called up. At least, that's always been my perception. :-)
Old 05-28-2018, 01:42 PM   #65
kgor93
Minors (Single A)

For me it has to be:

-The ability to simulate multiple seasons at once with no interruptions

My play style is to set up a league how I see fit, then simulate multiple seasons at once, come back and view the history of my creation.

FOF8 is VERY powerful but the interface hasn't been updated in 15 years. It isn't just about having an interface that looks nice, it has to do with having a functional interface. OOTP has that functional interface. FOF doesn't.
Old 05-29-2018, 03:55 AM   #66
AlexB
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgor93 View Post
For me it has to be:

-The ability to simulate multiple seasons at once with no interruptions

My play style is to set up a league how I see fit, then simulate multiple seasons at once, come back and view the history of my creation.

FOF8 is VERY powerful but the interface hasn't been updated in 15 years. It isn't just about having an interface that looks nice, it has to do with having a functional interface. OOTP has that functional interface. FOF doesn't.
FOF8 has both a new interface (unfortunately it was worse than the old one, although it does allow multiple windows to be open which is a big improvement)

The other big leap in 8 is exactly what you want - you can already generate a history without interruption.

There are other changes that make it a net-negative for me, but the two aspects you highlighted are in FOF8
Old 05-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #67
garion333
Minors (Double A)

I don't recall seeing it mentioned here, but it's been talked about a little on FOFC over the years:

Compensatory picks

I'd love for the game to add in compensatory picks, even in a limited way (ie. only 1 pick per draft per team). I think they would add an interesting wrinkle to both the draft and free agency. The teams who let studs walk to get signed massive contracts in FA while not themselves splurging in FA in order to get a high compensatory pick could be strategically interesting.

The one big issue I see is the AI. In mp leagues I would imagine any AI free agent pickup contract wouldn't count as the AI frequently gives out less than ideal contracts. Maybe the way the AI hands out contracts would change if compensatory picks were added in, though the additional coding in all this likely puts it far down the list of likely to ever make it into the game. That's a shame.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #68
ezlee2
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I hope they change the staff stage. I HATE the system in place now. Man do I miss the free agent system that was in place prior to the one we have now.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #69
Enforcer
Minors (Double A)

Online h2h multiplayer career league

Lets hope you will offer Online h2h multiplayer career league

where you have:
-the ability to play the game h2h
-free agents
-drafts
-aging year to year
-ect

I mean Front Page Sports Football 98 did it with no problem... I am clueless why no one seems to be able to recreate that!
Old 06-03-2018, 09:25 AM   #70
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

Customizable fictional leagues with facegen pictures. If we have that, I can make due with anything else.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:56 AM   #71
AlexB
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Playing FOF7 again yesterday reminded me of one reature I would love to see - the ability to sort & filter players by stats, not just overall ratings & anticipated salary

At the moment it’s not possible to sort FAs by stats, or filter the stats screen by position or contracts status.

Last edited by AlexB; 06-07-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-07-2018, 02:21 PM   #72
Kobeck
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I’d like to turn it into a VR 1st person shooter to replay the Last Boy Scout scene. If that’s not in the new game, it’s a no-sale for me

LOL

but come on... Jim handcuffs buyers by having almost no league structure customization. I am sure there is reasons for it from a programming/development perspective. But I would really like to start a league in 19XX with 5 teams, 3 of them in Racie Wisconsin, and fantasy players. Because why not?

the small amount Jim allows in this area is almost pointless.

but to each their own.

I will buy if only because I do want an American football version of FM.. and this seems promising
Old 06-07-2018, 06:29 PM   #73
swoboda
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
Considering I thought Front Page Sports Football Pro 96 was the best video game ever created.. I will be pretty lenient on my expectations for a 1st release.
Agree !!

And to repeat myself version 1 = some historical aspect. I'd settle for most Super Bowl teams in version 1
If not , at the very least the ability of this community to create historical teams and share them.

The late great Lindsey Nelson
Old 06-09-2018, 05:20 AM   #74
AlexB
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Playing FOF7 again, and the need for more immersion into the game world as a whole is a must

Things like having a weekly splash page that is like a website, highlighting leaders in key stats, outstanding performances in last weeks games, articles on who’s leading the race for rookie of the year, when team or individual records are broken, things like that

ATM I only know of players outside my roster at the FA stage, or if they are players I was targeting in the draft but missed out on - bring the game world to me and it will make a huge differnce to the feel of the game.

The way GDS do it in WMMA5 is really a good example of this, but it could be xpanded to be more context based rather than random profiles.

Last edited by AlexB; 06-09-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:17 PM   #75
spacer15415
Major Leagues

1. The draft!
2. Full control like OOTP, the ability to take over any team anytime.
3. Stats Stats Stats
Old 06-12-2018, 12:37 AM   #76
jslmsca
All Star Reserve

Definitely league customization for me. I used the City Editor utility to add Canadian teams to various versions of FOF but it was difficult to do and not ideal. I wouldn't even expect CFL rules in the first version, just the ability to have the CFL league structure and ability to select Canadian cities. I'm sure people will want to set up leagues in various nations as well, and we should be able to do that.

I'm really hoping the league initialization code in OOTP is generic enough to be ported over because it's pretty much everything a user could want in setting up a fictional league.

Last edited by jslmsca; 06-12-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 AM   #77
james17
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacer15415 View Post
1. The draft!
2. Full control like OOTP, the ability to take over any team anytime.
3. Stats Stats Stats

And draft day trading too!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:01 AM   #78
thefatcat
Minors (Single A)

The staff draft is terrible, almost no control over it and that really needs to be fixed i don't think i know one MP player who thinks this part of the game works. Defensive game planning needs to be as detailed as offense, control over who blitzes like we had in old versions would be huge.
Old 06-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #79
garion333
Minors (Double A)

I realize that now isn't exactly the time to request features and whatnot since that time will come later this summer (at best), but I've had a few thoughts about FOF that I wanted to put down and here seems the best.

1. Bars > stats. Currently the best way to play FOF is to focus on the bars first and then slot that player fits into a system. Is there a way to skew the game to more of a stats first evaluation? Instead of focusing on bars, can we instead look to a player's stats and form opinions of who someone really is, like you can in OOTP?

Granted you run into issues of small sample sizes for some players, shorter careers and lack of college stats, which leads me to...

2. College stats for draftees.This would be a huge improvement to the draft as you would add an additional, and realistic, layer to evaluating players. A college system structure where big vs small school mattered in evaluation would add further data points (ie. level of college competition in OOTP).

3. New stats: ANY/A. While I would love for us to add in DVOA to FOF, it's a proprietary formula under constant evolution at Football Outsiders. A common stat that isn't proprietary to a website or analytics group would be ANY/A, which stands for "adjusted net yards per passing attempt". It's a stat used to tell you how effective a QB is at passing because it takes TDs, INTs and sacks into consideration. I personally use this stat/formula when looking at QBs in FOF. It's a simple calculation to make and will tell you if all the sacks a QB is taking adds up to being a worthwhile QB. Long story short, I prefer ANY/A to QB Rating, for sure.

A slightly less useful but potentially more fun stat would be Expected Wins/Losses using Pythagorean projection, which is a simple formula that tells you what a teams record should have been based on points for and against. Basically, a 10-6 team may have given up a lot more points than they scored so the Pythagorean projection would tell you they were likely to regress the next year. It's a fun exercise that I have personally written reports for in one league and know someone who did the same in another league (completely independent from me, believe it or not). Pro football analytics people, like Bill Barnwell, frequently refer to this and usually post yearly articles evaluating teams based on it.

4. Coaching Changes and Development / Systems. Currently coaches are merely a small wrinkle in the development of a player. In my personal opinion the two greatest impact coaches have in FOF are in determining systems (West Coast, Smash Mouth, etc., on offense; 3-4 vs 4-3 on defense) and in viewing bars on players. The former is obvious and easy to understand. You don't want 4-3 players shoved into a 3-4 scheme, they won't play up to snuff. Or you don't want to, say, put Marcus Mariota into a Smash Mouth offense as the results won't be pretty.

As for the latter, your coaches Interviewing and Scouting Ability are paramount in determining how a player's bars are presented to you, especially for rookies. Yes, coaches influence speed of development (Player Dev bars), yes they influence how a team performs (Motivation, Play Calling) or how many penalties they get (Discipline), but it's all very behind the scenes. There's no real connection between coaches and players. Yes, there is a positive influence on a team when a (head) coach has been on a team for a long time, but it's believed to be only a small influence, much like cohesion and chemistry are in the rest of the game. (For those not familiar with what I mean it's that there's a lot of small things in the game, such as chemistry and cohesion, that can add up to big things overall, if you pay attention to them.) But what I'm talking about is a player who has been in a particular coach's system and that having an influence. Does an OC get hired on as a Head Coach somewhere else? Does this now-HC bring in "his guys" to the new team? Give that a boost. How about a young QB who has been in the league for three years but has had three different OCs and systems? Have that impact development, not just the coaches' development bars. Add in connections between players and coaches, not just player's bars and coach's bars.

Personalities for the coaches couldn't hurt either.

And, yes, absolutely find a better system for staff draft. It's too arbitrary at this point. Heck, Ben's Staff Draft tool works way better than the in-game tool. Put that in and pay the man for it.

(On that note, Draft Analyzer or something like it for sorting/ranking draftees would be great. In-game there's little ability to do so and it makes drafting using solely in-game a chore. Add in short lists maybe?)

5. Bars that make no sense. There's an incoming RB or WR who are absolutely setting the world on fire with their athleticism. They run a sub-4.3 40, bench press as much as a lineman and blitz through agility drills. They're a once in a generation talent. Their bars are off the chart. Except endurance. They have to take half the game off so they won't be tired. What? That doesn't make sense. At all. In what world does an All World Athlete need to take half a game off?

Granted, this isn't quite as true for some other positions, like lineman, where their body mass and the mass of those they're going up against tire out differently. But an All World Athlete at WR should realistically rarely sub out. And they should never sub out when a game's on the line.

I can accept that everyone in the game is generated by an algorithm, but too often players don't feel like people and instead feel like random bars of data. RBs, in particular, have too many bars for what they do which is one of the reasons Hole Rec has become the linchpin of their entire makeup as it's the easiest one to see an impact from, good or bad. The same for RR on WRs.

Return ability and ST bars don't seem impacted by playing time/experience. You're either good at them or not and it's gonna stay that way until you boom/bust or age impacts you. These are tertiary abilities, but they could add more value to players with some sort of development curve. If you play ST in-game, I assume you will get better at it. Not here, here you are what you are, regardless of ST snaps. Then there are studs who never play ST because of an injury risk, yet they stay as amazing on ST as ever. To me that's odd.

As an aside, Punishing Hitter might be the most useless bar in the game and is somewhat being phased out of the NFL game.

6. Middle ground on creating plays, playbook, gameplans, etc. Quite a bit of ink has been spilled on this issue already, so suffice it to say that in FOF8 players were given a huge tool with gameplanning but given little help outside of hitting the recommend button. A simple set of sliders indicating you want more running or more passing before hitting recommend would be nice. Or more shotgun/pistol vs under center. More/less play action. More less short/int/long passing. More/less FB usage. More/less TE usage. Those sorts of thing.

I know defense has received a lot of flak for not having the same sort of gameplanning depth as offense, but I'm actually okay with it overall. My main gripe, and one many others have mentioned, is lack of control over blitzing.

7. Compensatory picks. They could help make FA more interesting.

Last edited by garion333; 06-26-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:25 PM   #80
Postman
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkn20 View Post
* Defensive play-calling, I want my players doing what I want when I want as it can be done in the offensive side already.
I don't think that would be realistic. Defensive players react to what the offense does.