Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods

OOTP Mods Logos, roster packs, historical databases, OOTP tools, FaceGen files... it's all here!

Old 05-31-2015, 10:20 AM   #1
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

New Utility: Web-Based Park Generator

This is something I've been working on for a while now, and have finally gotten to a point where I feel it's ready for public use.

It's basically a web-based version of Gambo's spreadsheet crossed with C.L. Moffat's Ballpark Creator - simply enter in your park dimensions, wall heights, etc., and it will calculate park factors for use in OOTP as well as generate a picture of the ballpark that you can download and use in-game!

For best results, I suggest you use a recent version of either Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome - compatibility with other/older/mobile browsers is going to be spotty.

Hopefully this will come in handy for the community - I sure had fun making it!

OOTP Park Generator

Last edited by eriqjaffe; 07-23-2015 at 11:56 PM.
eriqjaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:45 AM   #2
kq76
Global Moderator

Is there a link to it?
kq76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 11:13 AM   #3
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kq76 View Post
Is there a link to it?

The first post has been updated with a link.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
The Game
Hall Of Famer

I'm in love Sticky this thread.
Attached Images
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:37 PM   #5
wwines
Minors (Triple A)

I keep getting a "Error Loading Page", not sure if it's a page issue or a me issue. This looks awesome by the way!!!
Old 05-31-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwines View Post
I keep getting a "Error Loading Page", not sure if it's a page issue or a me issue. This looks awesome by the way!!!
What OS/browser are you using? I've only really tested it in Firefox & Chrome on Windows.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #7
Coxmeatsandwich
Minors (Triple A)

How do I use these in my game? I changed every pic to the ball park that I created, but whenever I try to play a home game, it just shows the default pic that I always see when I play. Is there a way to use these with the daytime park, and the nighttime park? because the only thing that works for me is the diagram pic.
Coxmeatsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
wwines
Minors (Triple A)

Chrome
Old 05-31-2015, 05:44 PM   #9
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coxmeatsandwich View Post
How do I use these in my game? I changed every pic to the ball park that I created, but whenever I try to play a home game, it just shows the default pic that I always see when I play. Is there a way to use these with the daytime park, and the nighttime park? because the only thing that works for me is the diagram pic.
The pictures that get generated should work as drop-in replacements for the diagram picture, but you should be able to use it for the day and night pictures as well, the same as any other image. OOTP16 seems to have a problem with imported parks, so maybe that's what's going on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwines View Post
Chrome
Odd, I'm able to connect just fine in Chrome on my laptop. Not sure what's going on there - does the page load in another browser?
Old 05-31-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
Coxmeatsandwich
Minors (Triple A)

that's weird, I'm using ootp 15, and I'm still having trouble with it...maybe I just did something wrong.
Coxmeatsandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
kq76
Global Moderator

This is pretty awesome. It's something I think a lot of us have wanted for a very long time. I especially like the different field patterns!

It's funny, until playing around with this I never realized how much the outline of a ballpark looks like a baseball glove!

A request for when you start running out of ideas: can you add an action button that flips the ballpark horizontally. I found that when I was playing around with the random generator I really liked what I saw a number of times, except it'd be even better if the short porch was in the opposite field.

And a question: Other than looking at it, I haven't played around with the 3D park feature in OOTP. Is it possible to download a park created from your utility and then import it into OOTP to create a 3D park? I'm more interested in the 2D parks, but I'm just curious if it can be used to start a 3D park.

Oh, and it's already pretty awesome, but I can't help but wonder: is there's anything else you want to add to it?

Last edited by kq76; 05-31-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:09 PM   #12
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

I like the idea of a "flip" button. I don't think that would be particularly difficult to implement, either.

The 3D stuff is kind of a mystery to me - I haven't really looked at it at all, and I don't know if I ever will. I imagine it would be possible, though, since it wouldn't be all that difficult to export the distances & heights as a text or XML file.

As far as future enhancements, I'd love to be able to auto-generate day/night pictures and a .prk file in addition to the webcast picture. The day/night pictures should be relatively simple, but the .prk file is some sort of encrypted data file that I have no idea how to generate.

I've also been thinking about allowing people to use their own grass patterns and/or allow them to place logos on the field, but I haven't really looked into that at all yet.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:02 PM   #13
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Smile Safari

will work, but won't save pix. That's a FWIW. This is an incredible asset for all of us. Thanks for your time and effort.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:24 PM   #14
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Cobb View Post
will work, but won't save pix. That's a FWIW. This is an incredible asset for all of us. Thanks for your time and effort.
Out of curiosity, does it work in Firefox or Chrome in OSX? I don't have a Mac to test things with, unfortunately.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:51 PM   #15
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

Firefox on a Mac

Absolutely. Worked without any difficulty. Have generated a few just to tinker with.

I don't have/won't install chrome. "Don't be evil," just sets the bar a bit to low for me to trust them.

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #16
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Beautiful work. I will definitely be using this.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:37 PM   #17
kq76
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriqjaffe View Post
The 3D stuff is kind of a mystery to me - I haven't really looked at it at all, and I don't know if I ever will. I imagine it would be possible, though, since it wouldn't be all that difficult to export the distances & heights as a text or XML file.

As far as future enhancements, I'd love to be able to auto-generate day/night pictures and a .prk file in addition to the webcast picture. The day/night pictures should be relatively simple, but the .prk file is some sort of encrypted data file that I have no idea how to generate.

I've also been thinking about allowing people to use their own grass patterns and/or allow them to place logos on the field, but I haven't really looked into that at all yet.
Hmm, well regardless of whether or not you can import it into OOTP right now, I think it would be quite useful to be able to export the data to keep as a record and/or to manipulate in some other way.

The prk file is some OOTP file I take it? Well, honestly, this utility is so cool I think it's worth asking Andreas or someone if they can tell you how they encrypt it. Sure, they might say, "sorry, no", but I think it's worth asking.

If you can somehow allow for even more grass patterns, that'd be awesome. I was blown away impressed by the skyline and starburst ones. Have you actually seen parks with those? I know I've seen some fancy ones at I think Fenway and I think Shea, but I'm not sure I've seen those.

Approximately how many hours do you think you spent on this? I wouldn't even know where to start, but I have to imagine it took several hours a week for a few months.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:03 PM   #18
ra7c7er
All Star Starter

This is an amazing tool.

Guys just for fun click the random ballpark button a dozen times. It creates some really interesting parks. 312 LFL, 356 LF, 404 LC, 408 C, 448 RC, 363, RF, 308 RFL was an interesting shape. It even goes below 300 Ft. down the lines. Lowest I've seen is 283 and it had a 424 center field. Edit: just had a 479 center field and then a 262 RFL with a 366 RF.

The only thing I can think of that would make it better would be a way to keep track of created park factors to keep them neutral overall neutral. Something like the ability to get the program to save the factors and then create a second park that neutralizes the numbers. For a guy like me who gets his butt kicked by math it'd help a ton.

Last edited by ra7c7er; 06-01-2015 at 08:08 PM.
ra7c7er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:42 PM   #19
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Would these ballparks need factors assigned after downloading? Looks like an incredible tool. I'd like to check it out later tonight.

Let me rephrase the question, so I don't look as stupid. I see the factors are there, but how do they get into the ballpark.dat file?

Last edited by endgame; 06-01-2015 at 08:43 PM.
endgame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #20
eriqjaffe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Let me rephrase the question, so I don't look as stupid. I see the factors are there, but how do they get into the ballpark.dat file?
As it stands, you have to enter all of the factors manually into OOTP, the page just calculates them.