Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-21-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

OOTP Future Plans (Online Head-to-Head Play

Does anyone know if OOTP plans to introduce head to head play for on line leagues next year or in the future? The same game we have now but where managers can opt to play a scheduled game vs an opponent whereby both can take control of the mouse in making play by play or pitch by pitch decisions.
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #2
ELDoro
All Star Reserve

I love the core solo and online league play of OOTP and don't want anything to be taken away from constantly working to make improvements to that area.

BUT

I think it would be fun to have some kinda OOTP online universe. Where you start with a team and manage out games against other real life managers. Ways to draft players or train players. Something similar to EA's Ultimate Modes or MLB The Show's Diamond Dynasty. I know some hardcore OOTP fans might dog on this idea but looking for ways to improve and open up OOTP will only have benefits in the long run.

There are a few games out there like that now BUT they aren't as deep into simulation like OOTP is.

Not only do I think this would be a very fun feature but might also open the game up to another audience, drawing them in and then locking them with the core aspects that OOTP has delivered year after year.

Last edited by ELDoro; 08-22-2013 at 05:07 PM.
ELDoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
BeanballComin
Minors (Double A)

Should that ever happen, I would consider it as the ultimate additional feature for this game ever introduced. On the other hand, I would prefer long term bugs, like the missing check-box for the game to play out games pitch by pitch automatically, fixed first, before anything else.

Last edited by BeanballComin; 08-22-2013 at 06:14 PM.
BeanballComin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
nebradska
Minors (Triple A)

This seems to me to fly directly in the face of what makes OOTP great. That is, namely, long-term play. Scheduling head-to-head games in online leagues would be an absolute nightmare and if they were stand-alone games, it would suffer all the problems that those kinds of games tend to have ("I gave up 5 runs in the first? May as well quit and try again").
nebradska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

ActionPC Baseball features head-to-head play (according to the description on their website):

Action! PC sports games have long been the leaders in internet play. Our baseball game is no exception! In a few simple steps, you can connect for a single game or an entire series against any other Action! PC Baseball game owner—no third party software is needed! After a game, click one button to send the game headline and box score to every member of your league. Click another button to send the game’s data file to the league statistician. You can even create a league address book and league website with just a few mouse-clicks!

If ActionPC Baseball can do it, how hard can it be? ;o)
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
ELDoro
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebradska View Post
This seems to me to fly directly in the face of what makes OOTP great. That is, namely, long-term play. Scheduling head-to-head games in online leagues would be an absolute nightmare and if they were stand-alone games, it would suffer all the problems that those kinds of games tend to have ("I gave up 5 runs in the first? May as well quit and try again").
There doesnt have to be scheduling. Just a auto match feature. As for people just quitting......OOTP already has the auto sim feature to finish the game out.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
RonP
Minors (Triple A)

Dude, if I answer you will you thank me? Just to get out from behind the schneid if for no other reason?
RonP
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:05 PM   #8
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
Come on, who plays ActionPC Baseball?
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Rizon
Hall Of Famer

The head-to-head feature was attempted in a version many years ago.

RIP
Old 08-23-2013, 01:07 AM   #10
mking55
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
ActionPC Baseball features head-to-head play (according to the description on their website):

Action! PC sports games have long been the leaders in internet play. Our baseball game is no exception! In a few simple steps, you can connect for a single game or an entire series against any other Action! PC Baseball game owner—no third party software is needed! After a game, click one button to send the game headline and box score to every member of your league. Click another button to send the game’s data file to the league statistician. You can even create a league address book and league website with just a few mouse-clicks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Come on, who plays ActionPC Baseball?
I play Action PC Baseball. I am in a H2H league and with 16 to 24 good owners who are responsible, playing online is effortless and fun. You get the week's schedule from the "commissioner" who in our case is great and responsible (a big shout out to Marc here) and then you contact your opponent for a date to play on. Connecting to each other more than 90% of the time is effortless and the online play is stable. Occasionally the game crashes but you can go right back in and continue from where you crashed.

I commished online OOTP leagues in years gone by, and even though some of them were long-running, it was still difficult to find a slate of dependable owners. I don't know why we have more responsible owners over at Action, maybe it's the age factor or maybe it's the fact that it is online. If someone is a jerk or irresponsible they are easily found out and even terminated. I'm in about my 5th season and I've only seen one person terminated for his abusive behaviour.

Action is a totally different game than OOTP (season replay vs. career replay or what-if) so I'm not comparing them. I'm just saying H2H would be a great option and could be quite immersive for a group of people interested in forming a league.

As for how hard it is to do, I don't know. I think comments like "If ActionPC Baseball can do it, how hard can it be?" and "Come on, who plays ActionPC Baseball?" are misleading and insulting. All I know is that lots of people play Action and it's been around for years and years and has it's loyal followers (as all games do), and it does offer H2H which regardless of how hard it is to do, it's something they have done quite successfully.

I haven't seen H2H sports games offered by anyone else but Action (they do football, basketball, and hockey H2H as well as baseball), so I think it's okay to tip your cap to the "competition" (which I don't think they are), when they do something well.

Last edited by mking55; 08-23-2013 at 01:49 AM.
mking55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:11 AM   #11
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

I think my post may have been deleted...I was talking about what happened in 2002-2003

EDIT: I don't know why
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote