Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #61
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

I Don't Know if This is True.....

I read this on a message board but I don't know if it's true because I haven't seen any video footage. It seems as though newly hired Missouri football coach Eli Drinkwitz stated at his press conference that his goal in Columbia was to win the Sun Belt. Uh, Eli, you just left the Sun Belt and are now coaching in the SEC. Helluva way to get started if true.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:03 PM   #62
Jiggs McGee
All Star Reserve

Old 12-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #63
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Cherry View Post
I read this on a message board but I don't know if it's true because I haven't seen any video footage. It seems as though newly hired Missouri football coach Eli Drinkwitz stated at his press conference that his goal in Columbia was to win the Sun Belt. Uh, Eli, you just left the Sun Belt and are now coaching in the SEC. Helluva way to get started if true.
It's true. Drinkwitz quickly caught himself but he said Sun Belt instead of SEC. Hilarious.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:15 AM   #64
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

wow a guy misspoke. that might be the biggest story of the year
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #65
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
wow a guy misspoke. that might be the biggest story of the year
Never said it was a big story, Chugga Boom. I just think it wouldn't inspire me with confidence if I was a Missouri football fan. Might as well put you on ignore.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #66
thehef
Hall Of Famer

Nobody really complains about the NFL playoff system. Well maybe when 8-8 teams get in, but it's generally accepted as fair, merit-based, and non-controversial. (That said, one of the reasons for both the NCAA's football and basketball system's popularity is its controversy.) Cobra Mgr's 16-team scenario is most-like the NFL's system, but not practical from a "what's the likelihood the NCAA would adopt it anytime soon?" perspective.

So, because it might be the next most-likely scenario to be implemented and is similar to "old-school" NFL style playoffs...

Big Five Conf Champs automaticaly qualify, ranked by committee:

#1 - LSU (SEC champ)
#2 - Ohio St (B10 champ)
#3 - Clemson (ACC champ)
#4 - Oklahoma (B12 champ)
#5 - Oregon (P12 champ)

Three wild cards, committee's highest-ranked remaining:

#6 - Georgia
#7 - Baylor
#8 - Wisconsin

(Laughs that even in an 8-team scenario, Lou Satan's Tide gets left out)

In this scenario there is room for, say, an independent or undefeated smaller conference winner to get in if they are ranked high enough, but this year that doesn't apply. (And IMO the committee should be encouraged to get undefeateds into the 8-team tourney, even if not from a Big Five conference.)

Quote:
8 teams. Top 5 highest ranked conference champions/independent and 3 at-large... Any more than that is silly
I don't know that it's silly. It's just not all that practical, IMO. What I like about an 8-teamer is that there is really no doubt that you are getting all of the - typically, 3-to-5 - teams in that have a legitimate chance at winning the title. Any more than that and you are including teams that, while they might have a chance at an upset in Round One, have no reasonable chance of winning three straight games, two of which would likely be against top 3-or-4 ranks. Not that I have a problem with Appy State or FAU in the tourney. More that I at least want the minimum number of teams in the tourney that accomplishes getting the legit title-contenders in. That's the 8-teamer, IMO.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:23 PM   #67
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post

In this scenario there is room for, say, an independent or undefeated smaller conference winner to get in if they are ranked high enough, but this year that doesn't apply. (And IMO the committee should be encouraged to get undefeateds into the 8-team tourney, even if not from a Big Five conference.)

I doubt it. When UCF went undefeated, I don't think they were in the top 10 in the final poll before the bowls. If I remember correctly, one week they won and an idle 2 loss team jumped them in the rankings while UCF fell. The only way to guarantee everyone in FPS Div 1 gets a fair shot is to allow all conference champions an automatic bid. The colleges are going to behave just as they did w/allowing college players to earn $. When a higher power, namely Congress or the courts, force them to then they will act.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
June 7, 1958 - Apr 21, 2016
Cobra Mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #68
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

ucf wasnt actually that good though. tcu and boise have been ranked in the top 4 before as non-bcs teams
Old 12-11-2019, 01:51 PM   #69
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
ucf wasnt actually that good though. tcu and boise have been ranked in the top 4 before as non-bcs teams
They had zero losses & beat the team that beat the top 2 teams that year, but "they weren't that good"?
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #70
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Nobody really complains about the NFL playoff system. Well maybe when 8-8 teams get in, but it's generally accepted as fair, merit-based, and non-controversial. (That said, one of the reasons for both the NCAA's football and basketball system's popularity is its controversy.) Cobra Mgr's 16-team scenario is most-like the NFL's system, but not practical from a "what's the likelihood the NCAA would adopt it anytime soon?" perspective.

So, because it might be the next most-likely scenario to be implemented and is similar to "old-school" NFL style playoffs...

#1 - LSU (SEC champ)
#2 - Ohio St (B10 champ)
#3 - Clemson (ACC champ)
#5 - Oregon (P12 champ)

#6 - Georgia
#7 - Baylor
#8 - Wisconsin

I don't know that it's silly. It's just not all that practical, IMO. What I like about an 8-teamer is that there is really no doubt that you are getting all of the - typically, 3-to-5 - teams in that have a legitimate chance at winning the title. Any more than that and you are including teams that, while they might have a chance at an upset in Round One, have no reasonable chance of winning three straight games, two of which would likely be against top 3-or-4 ranks. Not that I have a problem with Appy State or FAU in the tourney. More that I at least want the minimum number of teams in the tourney that accomplishes getting the legit title-contenders in. That's the 8-teamer, IMO.
I know it would mean an extra game, but why not let the 2 best non power 5 schools face off for a spot in the final 8?
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #71
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
They had zero losses & beat the team that beat the top 2 teams that year, but "they weren't that good"?
Yes, they were far from a top 5 team.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #72
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

#1 - LSU (SEC champ)
#2 - Ohio St (B10 champ)
#3 - Clemson (ACC champ)
#5 - Oregon (P12 champ)

#6 - Georgia
#7 - Baylor
#8 - Wisconsin

My plan is basically the same as this, but I specifically say the "5 highest ranked conference champions" instead of the power 5 conference champions in case you have virginia beating clemson or something like that where they clearly don't deserve to be in based on their season of work compared to some hypothetical 13-0 or 12-1 AAC/MWC champion (and include the top ranked independent as a de facto conference champion for qualification purposes)
Old 12-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #73
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, they were far from a top 5 team.
But hef argues his proposal allows for a Group of 5 team if they reach the top 8.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #74
pilight
All Star Starter

I fail to see expanded playoffs would be any more of a burden than it is for the FCS or lower divisions. The FCS has 24 teams in the national championship bracket with no ill effects.
pilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:53 PM   #75
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilight View Post
I fail to see expanded playoffs would be any more of a burden than it is for the FCS or lower divisions. The FCS has 24 teams in the national championship bracket with no ill effects.
It's not a burden. Look thru history and you'll find the establishment makes up a bunch of bull bleep gravy that people afraid of change use their biscuits to sop up. How does it hurt scholarship players to play more games when class ISN'T in session? But college basketball players have to play in a tournament during spring exams every year. What happens is the establishment is afraid of losing control. When the establishment has never lost control. They always adjust and come out ahead regardless.
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-18-2019, 11:17 AM   #76
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

Could you have taken a worse pic of the Clemson football team? The team is waving to their fans after a win. But somehow the photographer got a group of every white player frozen in time looking like they are giving a Nazi salute. Why did Yahoo!Sports choose this pic?

4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #77
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

What is with the obsession people have to turn literally everything they see into something racial even when YOU KNOW they are just ****ing waving

Why can't there just be a picture of a team waving to fans and you leave it alone?
Old 12-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #78
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer

CBS is walking away from the SEC
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Old 12-21-2019, 01:33 AM   #79
monkeyman576
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What is with the obsession people have to turn literally everything they see into something racial even when YOU KNOW they are just ****ing waving

Why can't there just be a picture of a team waving to fans and you leave it alone?
We just live in a PC environment now same with the me-too movement

Last edited by monkeyman576; 12-21-2019 at 01:37 AM.
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:50 AM   #80
Reed
All Star Starter

Everything is construed to be racist these days. They even investigated the cadets, and found nothing, for playing some circle game during the Army/Navy game. I am surprised they do not call people that wear crosses racist.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote