Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 5 > FHM 5 - General Discussion

FHM 5 - General Discussion Talk about the 2018 version of FHM.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #1
mjerome
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Expansion question

I've bought every version so far. I think I've asked this every year since FHM2 with disappointing answers each time. (Couldn't find anyone asking this already, sorry if duplicate.)

After what Vegas did this past year, I have to ask again.

Can expansion teams participate in an entry draft prior to their first season?

Thank you.
mjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

No. We canīt add a team before July 1st to the DB, it would break the game as it is now. To make this happen we have to rewrite a lot of code and right now that is not a major priority. Sorry.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #3
Mancandy
Minors (Double A)

Infractions: 0/1 (3)
I’m wondering the same thing. At this point, this will likely determine if I buy the game or not. I bought FHM3 not knowing you couldn’t realistically play an expansion team, I bought FHM4 assuming it would be fixed...not getting my money this time if expansion teams are still unplayable.

EDIT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
No. We canīt add a team before July 1st to the DB, it would break the game as it is now. To make this happen we have to rewrite a lot of code and right now that is not a major priority. Sorry.
Can’t you give users the option to move the entry draft until after July 1? My understanding is that’s how it’s handled with historical expansions.

Last edited by Mancandy; 09-28-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Mancandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:19 PM   #4
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

It is not that easy.

I would not call expansion mode unplayable, it effects you only in the first season and just makes it a bit harder to play with an expansion team.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #5
thompsw8
All Star Reserve

Couldn't you just sim the first season and start the expansion process during the first season and it starts the 2nd season?
thompsw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

You should be able to do Expansion Draft any date from start of Offseason to Preseason even in year one.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:48 AM   #7
mjerome
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
No. We canīt add a team before July 1st to the DB, it would break the game as it is now.
IMO, with your design decision the game's already broken. I don't want to be misunderstood. This isn't a feature I'm asking for, but a fix for a current mistake. One of the most exciting hockey events ever was when Vegas went to the finals in their first year. And your product makes it next to impossible to duplicate with any new expansion team. In FHM, Vegas would have missed out on drafting Cody Glass and Nick Suzuki, and all the various trades they made to stockpile picks and assets in 2017 to put them in to position to obtain stars like Max Pacioretty. If I put a new expansion team in my league now, I could do none of this.

Quote:
To make this happen we have to rewrite a lot of code and right now that is not a major priority. Sorry.
Vegas had three 1st round picks in 2017. Very knowledgeable people made their first draft a priority in a real world setting. You should have made it a priority as well. Currently, an expansion team has to play the entire first year with zero valuable, known assets. So, to me, FHM doesn't currently sim how the most popular and competitive league in the world works in this area. And you were aware. And I understand you've done nothing to resolve in 3 years. Expansion's huge right now, and you have no inclination to fix it and get it right? I don't get it. I don't understand. You should never added expansion to FHM if you didn't have the ability to get it right, or at least not get it wrong to such a degree that the work to resolve would be (apparently) insurmountable. I know this may sound like an attack, and I need to chill out. I am sorry about that, I feel bad to speak so harshly. I'm just so upset and disappointed to have put in money supporting this design team that can't seem to get the NHL entry draft correct on their fifth attempt.

Last edited by mjerome; 09-29-2018 at 01:48 AM. Reason: typo
mjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:55 AM   #8
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

We put in expansion draft by popular demand. Most people are happy to have it in,even if it has this small limitation. We explained you the reason for the limitation and also told you that at some point we will code the change but we have to plan our resources carefully and use them to do stuff that effects as many people as possible. So this change right now is not on top of our todo list.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:50 AM   #9
bjernagris
Minors (Single A)

Agree that it isn’t optimal to not have expansion teams draft before their first season, but it is hardly a game-breaking limitation and you could work around it manually if you wanted to, that’s what we did in the iNHL when we expanded to 32 teams.

iNHL is the longest running FHM online league in the world

- Semi-realistic, modern-day NHL league
- Running since 2015, currently in our 30th season (two restarts)
- Active, friendly community
- Own research team adding real-life prospects to make drafts more realistic
- Recently moved to FHM10
- Read more and apply HERE
bjernagris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Question so I know if I wanna do this with my save or not.. CHl leagues can we create expansion teams or just create teams aka expand without expansion draft?
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:01 AM   #11
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

If people want a expansion draft then do it on paper(remember those days when we used paper) and afterwards on FHM5 with the player editor move players too proper teams.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:05 AM   #12
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
If people want a expansion draft then do it on paper(remember those days when we used paper) and afterwards on FHM5 with the player editor move players too proper teams.
No what I wanna do is expand WHL and bring back chilliwsck bruins? But they didn’t say anything about expanding major juniors
Old 10-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #13
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
No what I wanna do is expand WHL and bring back chilliwsck bruins? But they didn’t say anything about expanding major juniors
I was referring to the post above you. Sorry.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #14
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Will FHM5 let us put an expansion team in will in Challenge mode, say I want to add Seattle in at 2020-21 season could I
Rayzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:44 AM   #15
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
Will FHM5 let us put an expansion team in will in Challenge mode, say I want to add Seattle in at 2020-21 season could I
No, Challenge mode does not have any Commish mode, just like OOTP.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:57 AM   #16
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
No, Challenge mode does not have any Commish mode, just like OOTP.
Sebastian... Is there a way to skip the expansion draft as I just want to pick my team out of the remaining UFAs instead of doing the expansion draft?
Old 10-02-2018, 01:22 AM   #17
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres2000 View Post
Sebastian... Is there a way to skip the expansion draft as I just want to pick my team out of the remaining UFAs instead of doing the expansion draft?
Just add the team via League Structure.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #18
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Just add the team via League Structure.
i can do my WHL expansion yahooo
Old 10-02-2018, 06:03 AM   #19
croatian
All Star Starter

in historical mode (not challenges), is it possible to expand the league when you reach july 1st 2018. ?
croatian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:50 PM   #20
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

Question. I know you can only expand leagues come July 1st expansion in NHL however... For Major Juniors. if add a team the day after the regular season ends in middle of March will that team be added to the upcoming Junior League Draft? For example... If I add a OHL team after OHL season ends in 2018-2019 season that team will be able to draft in the 2019 draft?