Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.8 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

Offseason Discount! SAVE 50%!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 12-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #41
Hrycaj
All Star Reserve

Thanked 278x in 166 posts
1928 Draft: Analysis of rounds 1-5

The 1928 ametuer draft is upon us. This is an exciting time for each organization as GMís put the finishing touches on their lists and are gearing up to hopefully select their clubs next superstar. Currently, we are in round six, but before we break down the selections we have a few important bits of news to share. Boston will no longer be using Denver as itís AAA affiliate. The Plainsmen have made a decision to leave the Century League where they had been a member since 1907 and become an independent franchise. The move prompted the Minutemen to strike a deal with the Columbus Titans who have an interesting history in their own right. The Titans, who were originally the Peoria Bunnies, joined the Century League in 1897. The Peoria club moved to Columbus in 1904 and then out of the Century League altogether during the 1906 season. From 1906 to 1928 the Titans were a member of the Union League where they finished first four times to go with their two championships from their Century League days. For the 1929 season the Titans have moved back to the Century League and will provide a closer home for Bostonís prospects. As if that weren't exciting enough we have even more news to share. The FABL has decided to strike a deal with the Gulf States league and the Upper Mississippi Valley Association to provide a new level of minors for each of its clubs. The new ďCĒ level of the minor leagues will house all of the organizations youngest prospects. Many of the players taken in this draft will fill this roster. Bostonís affiliate will be the Hattiesburg Top Hats that play in the Gulf States League. I am really excited about this new level of minors because it will give a lot of playing time to prospects that have been languishing on my Arlington clubs bench. Now we can break down some prospects.

Round 1: With the 11th overall pick in the draft we took 1B Barney Meeker a 21 year old from Commonwell Catholic College. Although we have a number of good 1B prospects in the system Meeker was just too good to pass on. He probably would have been taken very shortly after if we didnít pick him. He was on many shortlists as top college bat available. As a 20 year old Meeker belted 14 homers and hit .349. As a 21 year old he once again hit 14 homers but upped the average to .388 with a .436 OBP. Meeker can also really pick it at first base. I do not know if Meeker will start in Hattiesburg or Arlington just yet. We are just happy he is in the organization.

Round 2: We once again picked 11th in this round and went with another college infielder in 2B Andy Bethel. Andy was the highest rated 2B on our list. Bethel who played for Lubbock State last season is a contact and speed guy who hit .396 last season. Bethel was on base at a 46% clip and used his legs to steal 42 bases in his two year college career. The glove is still a work in progress. He is considered a plus college fielder but he definitely has some room for improvement. He will very likely be playing 2B for Hattiesburg next season.

Round 3: With pitcher flying off the board we needed to grab one of our own with our 3rd round pick. Our 3rd round pick was the 43rd overall pick in the draft and by that point 18 pitchers had already been selected. GMís though that this was a deep pitching draft but I wasnít as sold on that assessment. However, pitching is always an area of need and their were a few guys we had our eye on. Our pick Vincent Burrows from Henry Hudson College. The 21 year old right hander went 7-2 with a save for the Explorers this season. His ERA is a bit higher than what we would like out of a 3rd rounder but he has five pitches, is confident, and has an 11.2 K/9 rate for the 1928 season. Hopefully he can develop into something solid.

Round 4: With our 4th pick we went bold. We took a two way high school player in Bill Miller from the Elmira Emeralds. Miller plays LF and is a starting pitcher. Miller hit really well in his first two years of high school but really fell off this last season. Even still, my scouting department loves the kid. Thinks he can hit .350 in the show. I was a bit more sold of the arm myself. He had three solid pitching years in high school and I think if we use him correctly can turn some heads in our organization. This was a gamble pick for sure as he may have gone undrafted for a bit or some savvy GM may have noticed his pitching potential and nabbed him. Miller will be in the Hattiesburg starting rotation and roaming LF on his off days.

Round 5: With our 5th round pick we were high on HS 1B Doc Dill. He almost fell to us but Brooklyn scooped him up a pick before ours. So pivoting away from that we went to our 3B list to select a guy that we thought was the best overall HS 3B in the draft. Monte Jordan and Rich Gourley were two HS kids taken before our guy and both of those players had great hitting seasons. Neither though were rated on my defensive spectrum at all. I like to get the all around guy if I can. So the guy we went with was 3B Ernie Hull out Portland HS. Hullís bat has been better each year and the glove is already playing at a high level. We think this young man has a ton of upside and he will be manning the hot corner in Hattiesburg this season.

It looks like we will not get a chance to draft our 6th rounder tonight so we will cover the rest of our players in a later analysis.

Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
4 thanks for this post:
ayaghmour2 (Yesterday), legendsport (Today), mjj55409 (12-08-2019), Tiger Fan (12-08-2019)
Old Today, 11:42 AM   #42
Hrycaj
All Star Reserve

Thanked 278x in 166 posts
1928 Draft: Analysis of rounds 6-13

Round 6: With our pick in this round we went with another HS arm. Typically, I try to draft college arms but with the addition of another minor league level there is a place where these young players can get some legitimate playing time. The player we selected was lefty Lynn McKenzie out of Norfolk High. McKenzie showed vast improvement from his first to second seasons of HS ball. In 57.2 innings at Norfolk this last season McKenzie posted a 4-1 record with a 1.25 ERA. He struck out 61 batters and posted a .85 WHIP. He will be given every opportunity to pitch at Class C in 1929.

Round 7: Catching was a rather weak position this year in the draft. It seemed that guys could either hit a bit and not filed as well or field well but couldnít hit their way into a ďCĒ level lineup. However, we needed a catcher down at Hattiesburg so we needed to pull the trigger on someone. Once again, based on our system the guy that gave us the best all around game was St. Matthewís College backstop Bill Holland. In three college seasons Holland owns a .310 batting average with an on-base percentage of .376. As a fielding catcher Holland is not the best in our system but he is pretty solid with plenty of room and time to improve. Look for Holland to be the starting catcher at Hattiesburg in Ď29.

Round 8: College standout Jim Hazeltine was our eighth round selection in the Ď28 draft. Hazeltine is projected to be a middle type change pitcher or someone you can go to in a tight spot. We typically try to stay away from such players. We are looking to develop pitchers that can pitch full games. However, by this point 42 other pitchers had come off the board, and we really liked his ability to strike out batters. Also, Hazeltine pitched 270 innings in college so we may still be able to develop him into a pitcher that can give us a full game.

Round 9: By this point in the draft we had not really addressed our Class C outfield. We did draft Miller 4th but he is going to pitch and play the field. We needed a true three position go get it outfielder. Ten left fielders were already off the board but we still had one of our top guys available and we didnít want to chance waiting any longer. We selected 21 year old Doug Richardson from Lubbock State. Richardson is the speed contact guy we were looking for. In two college seasons his batting average is .367 with a .432 on base. He also stole 29 bases and was only caught twice. He is not a power guy but if he can use his contact to get on base and then his speed once he is on base we will be quite fine with that. Defensively he can play all three outfield spots giving us a lot of options with this player.

Round 10: SS was another thin class in our opinion this year. I really liked Bob Case out of Henry Hudson but I also knew that if I didnít draft him with our first pick he would not be there for the second one and he wasnít as he went 2-3 to St. Louis. Other than Case though, I wasnít big on any one guy. So that is why we waited all the way to the 10th before we pulled the trigger on a player. We grabbed Tommy Hines out of Pittsburgh High School. Hines has hit better each of his three high school years culminating in a .361 average with a .427 on-base last season. My worry is with the glove. He rated at the bottom end of our evaluation spectrum. I should note that the bottom end of our spectrum is still considered statistically good to above average to others. However, we are a club that puts a premium on defense even at a young age. So being on the low end of our spectrum while playing a position that will see a lot of traffic is a concern. The hope is that he simply blossoms. He will certainly have the opportunity as we are weak at the position below AA.

Round 11: With this pick I wanted to address pitching once again. We went with 21 year old Bayou State Cougar Frank Nuse. Nuse is a gamble but at this point who isnít? Nuse would be the 61st pitcher drafted so a lot of talent was already off the board. Here is the good. Nuse had a great final college season striking out 90 batters in 78.2 innings and posting an ERA of 1.72 and a WHIP of 1.03. So why didnít he go higher with those numbers? Well in his second season a sore shoulder took 7 weeks off of his season and his first season in college ball was not very good. So this is a case of sample size. He is trending up, hopefully we hit on this.

Round 12: For this pick we went back to the outfield. There were a lot of quality CFís in this draft and we were in on none of them. We figured we could grab someone later that could maybe do the job. We probably waited to long on addressing this position but you canít fill everything. At this point we were looking for a young HS kid that we could try and develop. We selected Woody Meyer out of Decatur. Meyer has the glove we are looking for in a CF player. The bat is the question. Iím concerned that it may never develop. In three high school seasons Meyer never hit over .300. Although his average was a stable between .289 and .290 all three years. Still, it is a big jump to pro ball and I would not be surprised if the bat does not make the jump and ever develop.

Round 13: This was a mistake pick. No two ways around it. By this spot in the draft you go over your lists and see the diamond in the rough and think to yourself ďhow did this guy fall this far.Ē That was what I said when I saw HS kid Tracy Seitz still on the board. We had Seitz rated really high on our list but what we failed to do is make sure his family was on board. Shortly after being drafted we were hearing that his parents wanted their son to go to college instead of starting his professional career. 13th round pick or not we have to be better about this going forward. If the kid is on the fence about playing we cannot spend a pick on him. We will make a financial run at the young outfielder but I feel that it will all be in vain.

Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
5 thanks for this post:
ayaghmour2 (Today), legendsport (Today), mjj55409 (Today), percy_sutherland (Today), Tiger Fan (Today)