Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
eas9898
Minors (Single A)

Angry Asking way too much for extensions

I have found that all my players ask for way way more than what they end up settling for if I let them go to FA.

For example, a veteran OF will ask for $10M/year for 6 years, I just let them go to FA and immediately sign them for $2.5M for 2 years. Then, after signing for that, if I go in and offer to extend it, they are back to asking for $10M per year again.

Is this supposed to be this way? It makes signing extensions silly.
eas9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:34 AM   #2
jumpin_james
Minors (Single A)

100% agreed! I play as the Twins GM and one of the first goals is to sign 39 year old Nelson Cruz to an extension.

He wants a five year deal at 30 million a year.

This makes ZERO sense. No GM, on any team, anywhere would make this deal.
jumpin_james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:39 AM   #3
naturaldopamine
Minors (Double A)

been asking for them to fix this for years

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."
Oscar Gamble
naturaldopamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpin_james View Post
100% agreed! I play as the Twins GM and one of the first goals is to sign 39 year old Nelson Cruz to an extension.

He wants a five year deal at 30 million a year.

This makes ZERO sense. No GM, on any team, anywhere would make this deal.
offer him 1 year at 10-15 million. Hes making 12 million this year and most people in baseball feel that is a bargain for his production. Just because they demand something doesnt mean that is all they will sign for.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
jumpin_james
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
offer him 1 year at 10-15 million. Hes making 12 million this year and most people in baseball feel that is a bargain for his production. Just because they demand something doesnt mean that is all they will sign for.
Ha. Offered him 1 year at 12.5 million. He declined and countered at 5 years and 26 million per year.

This is so out of the realm of reality that it ruins the experience.
jumpin_james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:18 PM   #6
Faaip De Oiad
Minors (Triple A)

Mazara had a huge year and asked for 120 million, the owner would not allow the deal. Went FA and signed for 50 million. Makes no sense.
Faaip De Oiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
naturaldopamine
Minors (Double A)

They really need to fix this. In my online Cardinals league 29 year old Kolten Wong keeps rejecting 5 years $27 million offer because that somehow seemed preferable to the initial 10 years he was asking for.

I'm only offering an extension to begin with because my stupid owner wants me to & the most efficient way of manipulating the AI into raising the budget is to sign who they want.

Probably end up not extending him at all and just disappoint my owner and take the budget hit. He isn't worth 10 years though.

Oscar Gamble
Old 03-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #8
naturaldopamine
Minors (Double A)

I guarantee that - even in a competitive online league - when Wong does inevitably get picked up in free agency it will be for a fraction of the $27 million that he initially rejected.

This is a bug & it needs to be patched.

Oscar Gamble
Old 03-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faaip De Oiad View Post
Mazara had a huge year and asked for 120 million, the owner would not allow the deal. Went FA and signed for 50 million. Makes no sense.
Not sure how this applies to this thread?

He wanted 120 mil. Owner said no. He went FA and got what the market would pay. He didn't turn down a 120 mil and then sign for 50 mil, unless I'm misunderstanding your post. Sounds like how it should work.

Are you saying he resigned with you? Even then I don't see the problem. Team told him no, went to the FA market, and took 50 mil (I assume the best offer?). Now if another team offered a 120 mil and he said "no" then that might be an issue. (there could at least be a reason to play for less money, IE location, quality team vs poor, is already rich and can afford to choose as he likes etc.)
Sweed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:50 PM   #10
Fronzizzle
Minors (Double A)

The the Tigers, I have Austin Romine on a 1-year, $4.15M contract. After slashing .230/.260/.380 with 0.1 WAR over 3/4 of the season, he is now asking for 2 years/$30M in an extension. What???
Fronzizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #11
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzizzle View Post
The the Tigers, I have Austin Romine on a 1-year, $4.15M contract. After slashing .230/.260/.380 with 0.1 WAR over 3/4 of the season, he is now asking for 2 years/$30M in an extension. What???
Change AI evaluation to favor stats over ratings.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #12
naturaldopamine
Minors (Double A)

I remember personally asking the devs to fix this back in November, but people have been bringing this bug to their attention for years.

Oscar Gamble
Old 03-28-2020, 01:04 PM   #13
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldopamine View Post
I remember personally asking the devs to fix this back in November, but people have been bringing this bug to their attention for years.
Players asking for a lot of money to resign instead of being free to test FA’s isn’t a problem TBH.

The problem would be if you tried to resign him in FA and he ask you for a boat load of money but signs to the AI for less without much logic behind it.

A player signing for less in FA than what you offered him to resign is the player being free to test the market. Obviously his market wasn’t that high, hence why you didn’t sign him to that huge contract in the first place.

I’m sure the player’s greed and loyalty ratings effect this as well.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 03-28-2020 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:18 PM   #14
naturaldopamine
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMichaelJordan View Post
Players asking for a lot of money to resign instead of being free to test FA’s isn’t a problem TBH.

The problem would be if you tried to resign him in FA and he ask you for a boat load of money but signs to the AI for less without much logic behind it.

A player signing for less in FA than what you offered him to resign is the player being free to test the market. Obviously his market wasn’t that high, hence why you didn’t sign him to that huge contract in the first place.

I’m sure the player’s greed and loyalty ratings effect this as well.

Disagree. Players on a winning team who have 'ecstatic' morale with perfect team chemistry would sign every time for more money & years.

And the greed/loyalty doesn't affect much, if anything. One example would be with Freddie Freeman - who in last year's game had LOW greed and HIGH loyalty - same problem.

And Kolten Wong has another year to go - so I'm just gonna wait it out another season and see if I can talk him down to 5 years, which would make him 35 years old and probably 35 OVR by the time that contract expires.... but if that's what I need to do to raise the budget...

Realistically - Wong would JUMP ALL OVER that fat contract. $125 million over 5 years? Come on, man.

Oscar Gamble
Old 03-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #15
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldopamine View Post
Disagree. Players on a winning team who have 'ecstatic' morale with perfect team chemistry would sign every time for more money & years.

And the greed/loyalty doesn't affect much, if anything. One example would be with Freddie Freeman - who in last year's game had LOW greed and HIGH loyalty - same problem.

And Kolten Wong has another year to go - so I'm just gonna wait it out another season and see if I can talk him down to 5 years, which would make him 35 years old and probably 35 OVR by the time that contract expires.... but if that's what I need to do to raise the budget...

Realistically - Wong would JUMP ALL OVER that fat contract. $125 million over 5 years? Come on, man.
That’s more of an opinion than a fact because history tells otherwise.

If you think this is a bug then you should definitely raise it in the bug forum.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:37 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Finally going MLB fictional this year, the default AI eval settings definitely seem better, 30/50/15/5 vs the real player MLB settings of 65/20/10/5.

I know why it's set like that in the real player MLB, especially for the first few seasons, but contracts, trades and other player related stuff seem much better in a fictional universe with the settings weighed more on stats.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #17
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Finally going MLB fictional this year, the default AI eval settings definitely seem better, 30/50/15/5 vs the real player MLB settings of 65/20/10/5.

I know why it's set like that in the real player MLB, especially for the first few seasons, but contracts, trades and other player related stuff seem much better in a fictional universe with the settings weighed more on stats.

Yes definitely. Much better. Truthfully the MLB default should probably be re-evaluated because it had those same settings since before relative ratings were introduced and I believe the formula for OVR have changed a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-28-2020, 01:41 PM   #18
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Quote:
That's tough to do if you're already playing in Challenge Mode..

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:46 PM   #19
crowhop
Minors (Triple A)

crowhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 02:04 PM   #20
AlpineSK
All Star Starter