Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 21 > OOTP 21 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 21 - General Discussions Everything about the brand new version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB and the MLBPA.

Old 03-09-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
jdolecek49
Major Leagues

is it worth it?

is jt really worth it to upgrade to ootp 21? another question i have is are there any features in version 20 or 21 where I would be lacking if i do not follow the current players/teams of baseball? i'm an old skool baseball dude

Last edited by jdolecek49; 03-09-2020 at 06:30 PM.
jdolecek49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

1.) Nobody has played OOTP 21, it isn't out yet.

2.) This forum is full of people who really like the game and believe it improves significantly from version to version, so pretty sure both now and after the game is released you are going to get about 95% "Yes" here.
Rain King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #3
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
I would say the live streams I saw 21 is a huge improvement. Skipping XX wouldn't have been a big deal. But after seeing the UI improvements in 21 I couldn't play any other version.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:57 PM   #4
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Every version is worth it, imho of course.

Support this game if you can afford it, they always improve the game with every release!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

I try to look at the 'worth it' question from the entertainment bang-for-your-buck view.... (so it'll depend on how much/often you play the game)... for me, I probably spend an hour or two playing ootp every day (unless I'm traveling/on vacation, but even that could change when the mobile app is released).... that's a pretty small $ per day cost, so well worth getting the new version each year (if for nothing else than to keep supporting the developers)
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
chriskelly
All Star Reserve

I think part of the answer depends on how you play. If you like current rosters, 2020 baseball, etc, then you gotta upgrade. You can't really put the rule changes in the old version and have it work properly.

I always upgrade, regardless, just to support. I do a lot of drafting and trading, I like the idea of the scouting / draft updates, seems worth it to me.
chriskelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:06 AM   #7
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

How can you not buy and support the best baseball game on the planet?

I buy it every year without fail, without our support there will be no more releases and I can't live with that.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #8
Henric
Minors (Single A)

For any game, this one as well as others, it's an extremely subjective opinion if it's worth it or not. For me, definately. And I bought 20 mere weeks before 21 is supposed to release. I've already gotten close to 60 hours of enjoyment out of 20, and it has made me appreciate the upgrades to the 3D-engine and the scouting and drafting system much more than I would if I hadn't gotten 20 at all. I am REALLY looking forward to 21, because that will be my proper starting off point with OOTP. 20 was merely for learning.
Henric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:07 AM   #9
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdolecek49 View Post
is jt really worth it to upgrade to ootp 21? another question i have is are there any features in version 20 or 21 where I would be lacking if i do not follow the current players/teams of baseball? i'm an old skool baseball dude
I found this game when it was OOTP 8. I have bought every version since and never been disappointed. Even the improvements in the AI, PbP and the small ticket features, not even counting the big stuff, has been worth it to me. So it's a yes for me.

The question is if it's worth it for you? Only you can answer that. We still haven't seen everything that is coming yet.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:05 AM   #10
jdolecek49
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
I found this game when it was OOTP 8. I have bought every version since and never been disappointed. Even the improvements in the AI, PbP and the small ticket features, not even counting the big stuff, has been worth it to me. So it's a yes for me.

The question is if it's worth it for you? Only you can answer that. We still haven't seen everything that is coming yet.

I pre-ordered it last night, then watched some videos on it and now i can't wait. i did notice they are focusing on "the perfect team" however that is not my thing. I prefer franchise modes...
Old 03-10-2020, 08:13 AM   #11
mayday10
Minors (Double A)

as someone who has discovered OOTP in the past few months...

It is very worth it. Its awesome to see the way that the developers engage the users and put in such significant effort toward listening, implementing, and improving. Having experience with a few other similar products, you could should an obvious and simple change to the moon for years and it will never change. Many companies just depend on basically the yearly roster update.

So IMO, the developers put a more than honest effort and pride into improving their products. The product is also outstanding. Money well spent from me and earned by them.
mayday10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:29 AM   #12
BigRed75
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I pre-ordered it last night, then watched some videos on it and now i can't wait. i did notice they are focusing on "the perfect team" however that is not my thing. I prefer franchise modes...
Franchise modes already had their videos, in the past two weeks. A general overview one and a deep dive one. You can find them on YouTube.

SPTT team

Was not a Snag fan...until I saw the fallout once he was gone and realized what a good job he was actually doing. - Ty Cobb
BigRed75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:57 AM   #13
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Agree. PT is just not my thing. But we still benefit from the time and effort they invest in it. Some of the new features we are getting, like the new 3D Stadium Builder tool I'd imagine, are only possible because of revenue from PT. So its still a good thing.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:11 AM   #14
sentry85
Minors (Single A)

i buy every year because i like the updated rosters and ratings. i always start a brand new season with every new version of ootp. this year the new scouting and stat sorting is something i am looking forward to. I am pretty old school on things and haven't really warmed to most of the sabermetric data so those numbers are mostly meaningless to me.
sentry85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:32 PM   #15
jdolecek49
Major Leagues

to be honest i feel lost, i see where i get lost is waivers, designate players for assignment.I get stuck and cannot move the game forward. thought i knew so much about the game but now i feel like a retard and i fdedl so lost just after i pre-ordered the new game.i want to love this game but i just feel lost and the thing is i dont know much about waivers or designated for assignments. while others tell me to go to youtube but those videos are guys rambling on, i just want to play if someone an give me the lowdown on all this and the minors a little i feel like i can learn the rest as i go along, so can someoe please help me
Old 03-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #16
Marcelo1967
Bat Boy

It's all very personal. I find OOTP and FM the best sports simulations ever created. I have been simulating sports since I was 6 years old, back in Argentina. Now, I live in USA and I'm 52 years old.
Marcelo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #17
sentry85
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
to be honest i feel lost, i see where i get lost is waivers, designate players for assignment.I get stuck and cannot move the game forward. thought i knew so much about the game but now i feel like a retard and i fdedl so lost just after i pre-ordered the new game.i want to love this game but i just feel lost and the thing is i dont know much about waivers or designated for assignments. while others tell me to go to youtube but those videos are guys rambling on, i just want to play if someone an give me the lowdown on all this and the minors a little i feel like i can learn the rest as i go along, so can someoe please help me
i can try to help but i know others on here can explain it better than me but here goes. you have 2 major league rosters the active roster consisting of 25 players and a 40 man roster. every player on your playing roster must be on the 40 man roster. your 40 man roster can have 40 men or less but all on your active roster will be on both the playing and 40 man rosters. should you want to add or change a player on your active roster you can add anyone that is on your 40 man roster without an issue just release, demote or place on the injury list (if player changed is injured) someone from the active roster, then add someone from the 40 man roster and you are good to go. the first dilemma comes if you have 40 players on your 40 man roster is and the player you want to add is not on your 40 man roster. to add this player you must first open a spot on your 40 man roster. you do this by choosing a player on the 40 man roster to waive and designate for assignment. if he is on the active roster this will immediately remove him from both the 40 man roster and the active roster and place him on waivers. waivers just means he can be claimed by other teams. if no team claims him he "clears" waivers you can place him anywhere in your organization that you want. now that your 40 man roster has an open slot you can add a player to the 40 man roster and to then to the active roster. if the active and 40 man rosters have an open slot you can add the player directly to the active roster and he will automatically be added to the 40 man roster.

another common issue is if you want to demote a player to the minors but has been sent up and down too many times you will have to waive him before you can designate him for assignment. on the players contract page it will tell you how many "options" he has remaining if it is 0 you will have to waive and designate. this can be confusing but i hope this helps some
sentry85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:02 PM   #18
Sabres2000
All Star Reserve

I really like the 3d that this years game has
Sabres2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #19
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
foolish baseball on youtube does a really good tutorial on ootp highly recommend it.

it be so long and confusing to try and type it out
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:09 PM   #20
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

I too am an old school baseball guy - this game is beyond the wildest imagination of youthful me.

your mileage may vary - but I have never once in 21 years not gotten WAY more value out of OOTP then anything else I spend money on.

call me a fanboy - guilty.

but by about OOTP 4 I knew I would be a first day purchaser every single year as long as they make it.

I am so sure of this I am preordering old school way so I can have the game on the 17th (and make sure the company gets full compensation) and then purchasing again on the 20th so I can have it on steam for convenience. I will then give the original purchase to my son

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote