Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - New to the Game?

OOTP 14 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the game, please come here!

Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #1
Joe Shlabotnick
Minors (Triple A)

OOTP for the Egomaniac

I have decided that I have trouble getting "into" this game (have played on and off for over five years, but never stick with it for long) because I am an egomaniac.

I need a way to play that focuses on Me.

I am not joking here, in the least. I am a 50-year-old dude who loves the sport since I was age ten, but whose eyes tend to glaze over when looking at pages and pages of numbers.

With that in mind, a couple of questions.

1. Has the GM/Manager issue been resolved? Can I play as GM-only? Manager only?

2. Can I try to "manage my way" to the majors, starting at a low minor league level? Is there an AI setup where I will be asked to manage at higher levels if I am successful at lower levels?

3. Any other suggestions out there for how to enjoy OOTP when I am less interested in poring over stats/standings/prospects and more interested in "winning the game"?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Dave Hansen
Major Leagues

As a 65 year old dude playing since OOTP 4...tried all sorts of combinations over the years. The last 2 years I've settled into:

*historical league starting in 1960...now in 1963.

* I play with no scouts...no coaches...no finances...no minors...no personality or morale ratings...no story lines...can't be fired.

* play out all my team's games in one pitch mode...except when I want to consider stealing or hit run options, then go to pitch-by-pitch mode.

* manage games...make trades...AMY draft...that's it.

* grew up with baseball and my dad in the late 50's...love the ability to manage those players of my youth...adds great focus for my enjoyment...winning the game while reliving special times.
Dave Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
Garethw87

I agree it's hard to feel immersion with this game. You can end up just clicking by and simming far ahead without actually doing anything
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

1) You can play as GM only by selecting the checkbox. Manager only works, but you'd have to set the roster moves, transactions, etc. to the AI and only handle the depth charts, lineups, rotations.

2) I did this a couple years ago where I started out at the rookie level, and worked my way up to the majors. The lower levels can be a little frustrating because you don't have control over the transactions, but it was fun. I was both fired from one team, and promoted within the minors for another team. It's a different way to play, but I had fun doing it.

3) Since it's all about you. I would think that you could also create yourself as a player in the amateur draft, and follow along with your career, playing out your games, etc. Sometimes finding a small item to focus on can help cut down on the background noise.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #5
Khan
All Star Reserve

It's funny how people play differently. That's the great thing about OOTP.

For me, i used to play all games out as GM/manager and build my teams into contenders.

Now I like to play as Commisioner most of the time and just create a baseball world and just follow it along as it builds it's own history.
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

OOTP is the perfect drug for this egomaniac. I am the field manager, general manager, head scout, minor league coordinator, pitching coach, hitting coach, trainer and beer salesman. My teams are dominant and win often though not every year. I spend very little time poring over stats/standing/prospects but a lot of time fist pumping like an idiot as my team wins games.

YMMV

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnick View Post
1. Has the GM/Manager issue been resolved? Can I play as GM-only? Manager only?
Yes. You can use the settings to get GM-only or manager only. Consult the manual or the forums if you have questions on how to set this up.

Quote:
2. Can I try to "manage my way" to the majors, starting at a low minor league level? Is there an AI setup where I will be asked to manage at higher levels if I am successful at lower levels?
Yes.

Quote:
3. Any other suggestions out there for how to enjoy OOTP when I am less interested in poring over stats/standings/prospects and more interested in "winning the game"?
You can turn off most features and focus only on the ones that interest you. You can delegate almost anything to the computer AI as well.

If you play historical games and are familiar with the players, that can allow you to focus on transactions and managing and not have to worry about coaching, player development, prospects, etc. But just be aware that you will have an advantage over the AI because you can see a player's real life historical stats and have more knowledge than it does.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Joe Shlabotnick
Minors (Triple A)

Immersion.

Gareth nailed it.

I have huge trouble getting immersed.

I get immersed in creating a cute little league. Then I push buttons for a while and get bored. Again, I need a personal feeling of being involved and giving a darn about all the minutia.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnick View Post
I get immersed in creating a cute little league. Then I push buttons for a while and get bored. Again, I need a personal feeling of being involved and giving a darn about all the minutia.
Are you managing your team's games? If you're not, that's why it's easy to just start clicking buttons and moving through seasons. In theory, you can simply handle lineups, trades, drafting, and roster moves, but that won't necessarily create immersion. You can move through weeks at a time without having to do much other than tell the software to simulate games.

You could try managing your team's games, keeping a personal journal or a dynasty thread about your team's progress, creating your own fictional players to personally follow in your league, and many other options. I think the immersion simply depends on how much effort you're willing to put into the game. And you can always turn off most features that involve the 'minutia' that you don't like.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote