Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game?
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: New to the game? A place for all new Out of the Park Baseball fans to ask questions about the game.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Joe Shlabotnick
Minors (Triple A)

No Defensive Rating, What Rating ?

If an outfielder is rated 67 in RF, but shows no rating for CF or LF, what is his defensive rating if you put him in CF or LF?
Old 05-04-2012, 12:10 AM   #2
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

Effectively 0 until he gains experience at the position. It will then start (assuming a 1-100 rating scale) going up from 1 and on. The amount of time it takes depends on his OF fielding ratings and his level (it's easier to learn new positions in the minors, as I recall).
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Check his career defensive history to see if he has played the positions professionally.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #4
Joe Shlabotnick
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Check his career defensive history to see if he has played the positions professionally.
And then what will this tell me? Is there a place I can go to learn more about how defensive abilities improve?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

From the OOTP Manual

Playing out of Position

Even if your player does not have a rating at a position, you can still play him at any position in a game. Just place him wherever you would like in your lineup or depth chart. You could even place a second baseman in your pitching rotation, although he's not likely to do well. However, a player who is not rated at a position is well below average in his ability at that position, and is likely to have poor range and make frequent errors.

Learning New Positions

Players learn new positions through practice. The best way to accomplish this is by having them play in a new position. Players learn more quickly when they play regularly in the minor leagues, or in spring training. The more a player plays at a certain position, the more he improves. After he has acquired a certain amount of experience at a position, he will be given a position rating that will display on his profile.

OOTP follows the concept of the "defensive spectrum." The defensive spectrum is as follows: DH - 1B - LF - RF - 3B - CF - 2B - SS. Generally speaking, the further to the right, the harder the position is to play and the harder it will be to convert a player to that position. Position players can learn to play catcher, but it often takes a very long time, and they typically don't make very good ones.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:17 PM   #6
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Shlabotnick View Post
And then what will this tell me? Is there a place I can go to learn more about how defensive abilities improve?
There is a threshold for learning. I want to say 200 games at a position, I am probably wrong, and a player has reached their peak at that position.

If a player has no professional experience at a position it is likely they are incompetent professionally.

Check to see if they have experience. If they have played 150 games at a position and have no rating then there is very little point trying to teach them.

If they have no/few games AND their IF/OF ratings imply they can play usefully then they need experience. Just post if you want any more info on this.

Good luck,
Tom

Edit: I would check the manual for more info about Defensive Ratings. You can also ask here, people are usually pretty friendly.

Last edited by TGH-Adfabre; 05-05-2012 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Literacy Plus
TGH-Adfabre is offline   Reply With Quote