Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

What is your strategy for player with high bid but who sign for less?

I've had a number of players whose contracts expire and ask for an exorbitant extension. If I make an offer lower than they want I'm told no but then only have a few tries left before they get mad and cancel negotiations. When I check later they've signed for less than I originally offered. I guess just keep checking? Does offering an extension to find out what they're asking wear down their patience too?
panda234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

Even with extensions you can see the 'demand.' It's a column you can add to a view under financial tab, if not mistaken on labeling. (custom view, if a default one isn't available or you want the column on a standard view on a certain screen.)

So, if by your understanding of what players get in FA tells you that it's way too high, you have to let them go to FA before you can ask them at a lower bid price without upsetting them.

if you have changed allowed cash on hand carry-over, think of reverting back to default. This should mostly happen with greedy, selfish players etc. i'm sure there are exceptions to that.

Even in FA, you must wait for that demand value to drop to a range you can underbid without angering that player. 5-10% under may work for some, but not others. If you ask once and they admonish you, either pony up or wait for nexe demand drop. Don't do this repeatedly and expect them to stay happy. 2-3 negative responses, and it might affect the minimum value you can offer. You want that emoji smiling when you offer an accepted bid.

again, work out a general rule of thumb that doesn't scr%w yourself often and then take into consideration of other factors like player personality traits and which teams are also bidding. just how much can they offer given budget and current roster holes to be filled?

pay attention to this for a bit, and you can eye-ball it well. unless in competition with other people (directly or care about leaderboard type stuff), i'd be more precise about it.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
panda234
Minors (Triple A)

Great explanation. This helps a lot.
panda234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:23 PM   #4
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

no problem. just he way the game works. some are not fans of this mechanic.

either way it comes down to proper valuation relative to competition bidding. if you wait to long, you lose out. you pay too early you pay too much etc... same end results.

six in one, half dozen in the other. i'd prefer it to be bit more robust or a few more loops of logic for the AI to be more proactive in these contexts, but there's virtually no difference in end results. so, the return doesn't seem worth it to change it.

the loud critics like to try the same things and expect different results, lol. pick your spots to submit a bid, and all is good. it wouldn't be a good game mechanic if we could be 100% successful at being optimal or skewing in our favor to the highest degree.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote