Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:17 PM   #1
tward13
All Star Starter

Rescheduling rain outs

When opening day (say a Monday) is rained out. The game should be made up on the open Tuesday, NOT a doubleheader on Wednesday. That's why the open day is there.
tward13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Hooray Saturday
Minors (Triple A)

was it raining on Tuesday also?
Hooray Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #3
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooray Saturday View Post
was it raining on Tuesday also?
I wouldn't know. When Monday was rained out the game showed up on the schedule as a Wed DH. So Tuesday was the scheduled off day. If it had scheduled the game for Tue then rained it out when I got there that would be ok
Old 03-20-2019, 06:03 PM   #4
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

The rescheduling procedure could use some improvement, yes.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #5
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
When opening day (say a Monday) is rained out. The game should be made up on the open Tuesday, NOT a doubleheader on Wednesday. That's why the open day is there.
Without the extra roster spot for double headers I just cancel rainouts.

It sucks I have to do that./ But doubleheaders needs the extra pitcher call up. If not the AI blows through pitchers arms too much even with 13 total.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
slugga27
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
Without the extra roster spot for double headers I just cancel rainouts.

It sucks I have to do that./ But doubleheaders needs the extra pitcher call up. If not the AI blows through pitchers arms too much even with 13 total.
To combat this, for most of the last year, I went with 26-man rosters for the entire season (with September obviously being 40). I figured it was inevitable that real life would follow suit, and wouldn't you know...

And yes, you can specify that the typical roster construct is 13 pitchers and 13 position players.
slugga27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugga27 View Post
To combat this, for most of the last year, I went with 26-man rosters for the entire season (with September obviously being 40). I figured it was inevitable that real life would follow suit, and wouldn't you know...

And yes, you can specify that the typical roster construct is 13 pitchers and 13 position players.
My 2020 season the computer actually instituted 26 man rosters and increased 40 man to the 42 man. Weird witchcraft.

I still feel like I don't have enough pitchers on double headers.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:11 PM   #8
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

The stadium was being used for something else(concert,etc).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:12 PM   #9
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

No one has heard of the schedule editor?
Old 03-20-2019, 08:20 PM   #10
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orioles1966 View Post
I play in challenge mode. So I don't think we can edit the schedule at all once the season starts. Or maybe not at all ever.

Don't really go behind the scenes much in challenge mode.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One shouldn't have to use that. The game should get this sort of thing correct, given it is a feature of the game.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #12
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
One shouldn't have to use that. The game should get this sort of thing correct, given it is a feature of the game.
Exactly. I don't want to be editing anything. I'm playing out the current season.

And no need for imaginary reasons why they couldn't play. Most northern teams schedule an open date the day after the opener so that they can get the big opening day crowd out to the park in case of rain or snow on day one.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #13
strzepeksc
All Star Reserve

ML Baseball Union

Per their contract ML players have to have an off day every so many calendar days, so scheduling a DH after a rainout may be due to the off day agreement with the players union.
strzepeksc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:34 AM   #14
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tward13 View Post
Exactly. I don't want to be editing anything. I'm playing out the current season.

And no need for imaginary reasons why they couldn't play. Most northern teams schedule an open date the day after the opener so that they can get the big opening day crowd out to the park in case of rain or snow on day one.
I get too bored playing exactly the same as MLB.

I am currently watching Seattle vs Oakland from Japan and during the regular season everytime I turn the TV on late at night it's almost guaranteed that Seattle will be playing Oakland. Too much of the same ole same ole.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #15
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
I get too bored playing exactly the same as MLB.

I am currently watching Seattle vs Oakland from Japan and during the regular season everytime I turn the TV on late at night it's almost guaranteed that Seattle will be playing Oakland. Too much of the same ole same ole.

That's nice, but most people are playing Major league schedules. I know you have a particular interest in odd schedules and league set-ups but I'm talking about the ML schedule here.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 AM   #16
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by strzepeksc View Post
Per their contract ML players have to have an off day every so many calendar days, so scheduling a DH after a rainout may be due to the off day agreement with the players union.
Yes, but that's not the case here. This day is purposely built into the schedule for this very purpose, to replace a first game rainout. Besides, they have a scheduled off day the next week for the same reason for their own home opener.
Old 03-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #17
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's a good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
That's a good point too.

Given that OOTP gives the user so many options to modify or change the way the game is played, my feeling has always been that, if you care enough about some aspect of the game to complain about it, then you care enough to modify it yourself.

In this particular case, make-up games can be re-scheduled very easily. It takes about 30 seconds to go into the schedule editor, remove the make-up game that the AI has scheduled, and re-schedule it on some other date.

On the other hand, I recognize that it's frustrating that the game seemingly can't handle a simple situation like this. It's worth remembering, though, that schedules are complicated puzzles, even in real life. I'm amazed that the OOTP AI can handle rainouts, even if it sometimes doesn't do a very good job of it. As Dr. Johnson said of women preachers, "the wonder is not that it is done well, but that it is done at all." In this instance, we can urge the developers to devote more time and effort to fix the problem while recognizing that it's within our power right now to do something about it ourselves.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:17 AM   #18
tward13
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
That's a good point.

That's a good point too.

Given that OOTP gives the user so many options to modify or change the way the game is played, my feeling has always been that, if you care enough about some aspect of the game to complain about it, then you care enough to modify it yourself.

In this particular case, make-up games can be re-scheduled very easily. It takes about 30 seconds to go into the schedule editor, remove the make-up game that the AI has scheduled, and re-schedule it on some other date.

On the other hand, I recognize that it's frustrating that the game seemingly can't handle a simple situation like this. It's worth remembering, though, that schedules are complicated puzzles, even in real life. I'm amazed that the OOTP AI can handle rainouts, even if it sometimes doesn't do a very good job of it. As Dr. Johnson said of women preachers, "the wonder is not that it is done well, but that it is done at all." In this instance, we can urge the developers to devote more time and effort to fix the problem while recognizing that it's within our power right now to do something about it ourselves.
I disagree. IF I choose to play a custom, non-standard version, then sure I would expect to have to do some work to get things how I like them.

However, if I'm playing current MLB out of the box, then it should work like current MLB. Rule 5 should work, schedules should be reasonable (why schedule a DH when there is an open date right there???), etc.

And this is the place, while still in beta to point out these things. It's the whole reason for a beta.

So yes, I know that I can change anything I don't like, but what I'd prefer is to have it work correctly.

Last edited by tward13; 03-21-2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:19 PM   #19
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by strzepeksc View Post
No, that specifies no more than 20 consecutive days of play may be scheduled. The making up of postponed games can be exempted from that limitation if the players involved agree.

The provision of an off day after the initial home opener is precisely to allow an open date for the quick rescheduling of the opener in the event it was postponed without having to resort to a doubleheader or having the game played later in the season.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:30 PM   #20
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
On the other hand, I recognize that it's frustrating that the game seemingly can't handle a simple situation like this. It's worth remembering, though, that schedules are complicated puzzles, even in real life. I'm amazed that the OOTP AI can handle rainouts, even if it sometimes doesn't do a very good job of it.
OOTP could do a better job. Examining the real-life patterns of rescheduling should provide enough information to set the rules the AI should follow. I've got exact data on this covering the past ten MLB seasons, so recreating what it does now should be doable (except for the fact that the game as yet cannot do the traditional single admission, two-for-one doubleheader, nor can it allow teams to sometimes not make up all its postponed games, something which does happen in real life, especially in the minors).

The real-life minor leagues use a much simpler set of rules to make up its postponed games.