Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 12-23-2018, 12:32 AM   #281
daves
Hall Of Famer

Gold 310 league has 3 tiebreakers. 2 for division titles and one tor the final wild card.

Of course the Montreal Royals are heavy WS favorites.
Attached Images

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:44 AM   #282
NYY #23
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by old timer View Post
We finished 76-86 and although there were no super-teams in our division, we actually had a winning record outside of our division. But we did even worse against the super-teams. In other words, we beat up on the weak.
Nothing wrong with that record, or beating the teams that you should. You never know who will step up (or not), but best of luck in diamond. You seem like you like the challenge like me.

Quote:
Congratulations on your successes with all of your teams (being close to the WC in gold is a success, IMO). So how did your gold team do? Did they get a WC berth?
Fire Anty did us a favor and picked up the sweep, and we finished with four straight wins, so we actually won the division. Sadly we would have finished 11 games out from the second Wild Card, and we would have lost in every other division. But I'll take it. This is my first division title since we've started (including the beta), although not my best record.

So I'll enjoy not facing a winner take all Wild Card, and while I'll be an underdog from here on out I'll always take my chances in the playoffs where anything can happen. I haven't played my Division Series opponent since June, and surprisingly only 3 members of my starting line-up are still starting now, and I've replaced 2/5 of my rotation.
NYY #23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:53 AM   #283
old timer
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYY #23 View Post
Fire Anty did us a favor and picked up the sweep, and we finished with four straight wins, so we actually won the division. Sadly we would have finished 11 games out from the second Wild Card, and we would have lost in every other division. But I'll take it. This is my first division title since we've started (including the beta), although not my best record.

So I'll enjoy not facing a winner take all Wild Card, and while I'll be an underdog from here on out I'll always take my chances in the playoffs where anything can happen. I haven't played my Division Series opponent since June, and surprisingly only 3 members of my starting line-up are still starting now, and I've replaced 2/5 of my rotation.

Oh yeah, I forgot you had said it was a division title at stake, not a WC.

I never begrudge the best teams winning in the playoffs, but I still like seeing the underdogs win sometimes. So good luck in the playoffs.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:17 AM   #284
thekingofsalem
Bat Boy

Wizards' first Gold season is in the books, and honestly, I'm really proud of my guys. We had a really rough start to the year and in a hellscape of Mikes Trout and Mookies Betts in ungodly super-hydra teams, it wasn't looking good for us as we sat on the edge of relegation as late as the All-Star break. But bolstered by the midseason acquisition of Mr. Charlie Hustle, Pete Rose, we have gone 44-38 in July, August, and September, and ensured another shot at the Gold League in 2022.

Gonna post a pic of my team and it's probably gonna look like we suck. That's because we kinda do. I'm trying to pursue a small ball, free-to-play strategy heavy on defense, pinch runners, and a deep bench. Not a strategy I see a lot of folks going for*, so I'm getting these cards super cheap and having them rack up achievements for things like stolen bases while I furiously open packs in the hopes of getting some diamonds. I've had awful luck so far with packs, but I'm having a hell of a time playing the game!

*By the way, can you tell I'm a Royals fan?
Old 12-23-2018, 01:50 AM   #285
Maddox
All Star Reserve

My main team went from winning their division in the Silver League to last place in the gold league.

My bronze level team team (my Cardinals Team) won their division.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:55 AM   #286
Germaniac
Hall Of Famer

73-89 ... good that this season is over and the big boys move on to the Diamond Level
Attached Images
that might not be a satisfactory answer.

Happy Chandler, 1947
Germaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:59 AM   #287
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
There's 11 JD Martinez's in my Gold League and mine is .001 AVG and 1 RBI off from a Triple Crown. His biggest obstacle is several of his clones. I think he's far enough ahead in other categories that he's got the MVP wrapped up barring a collapse in the last month & a half.
Missed the Triple Crown by .001 to Mookie Betts. Actually, almost won a Quadruple Crown, which apparently includes Hits, but he also led in Runs, which seems like a more logical part of a Quadruple Crown.

AVG - 2nd to Betts
HR - 1st by only 1 to a clone and Perfect Ted Williams
RBI - 1st
OBP - 2nd to Trout
SLG - 2nd to Williams
OPS - 2nd to Williams
WAR - 1st barely over Trout
Hits - 1st
Runs - 1st
Total Bases - 1st
BB - 5th
EBH - 1st
ISO - 2nd to Williams
OPS+ - 2nd to Trout
WPA - 5th
wOBA - 2nd to Trout

Such a nice season, but I'm worried Trout will snag the MVP, especially if defense is factored in since JD never played a single out.

EDIT: DAMMIT...just did the math. I actually lost the Triple Crown by 1 hit. Finished 0.3303 vs Betts' 0.3311, and one more hit would have been 0.3318.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 12-23-2018 at 02:09 AM.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 02:06 AM   #288
Izz
Hall Of Famer

Finished 82-80 in Silver .317. 13th best-record in the league but not sure what that means for promotion, as 5 teams are tied with that record (14 teams get promoted, correct?) Kinda hope I stay in silver for another season, actually.

Highlights of this season including pulling 92 OVR Yogi Berra and 83 OVR Rookie Ted Williams. Will be nice to see what they can both do in a full campaign.

Pitching remains my weak spot. I did learn something interesting, though. 69 OVR Bob Turley has 105 stuff. Change him to a reliever and his stuff jumps to 121...

A brief history of the Australia-New Zealand Baseball League (AUNZBL 2019-2119)--A Dynasty Report
The National Penterham Four-Bases Association--A Dynasty Report
Izz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:09 AM   #289
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

I will use this Sunday to purge the roster of chumps that can't get it done. At all.

LIKE REALMUTO.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 03:38 AM   #290
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Cleansing, cleansing, cleansing - then bought three packs. Even found two golds in them!

Both are A.J. Minter.

That only happens to me.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:12 AM   #291
daves
Hall Of Famer

I have all 3 of my teams in the playoffs, but it maybe the 1st time I won't take a World Series. I spent $20 and $15 on two teams and one team I refuse to spend $$ to see if I can contend without spending. The non-spending team took 1st place and has made the Silver playoffs.

Last edited by daves; 12-23-2018 at 10:17 AM.
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #292
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

It's cool to hear that your daughter is playing PT. Is she a big baseball fan? My daughter likes a few of the computer games I like, but she's not a baseball fan, unfortunately.
yeah, she's been my baseball buddy since she was wee. I've quietly expected a day to come when hanging out with dad and watching baseball won't be cool anymore but that day hasn't come yet.

she's not into the OOTP solo play, but the PT part is a bit more plug-n-play (that and the fact you can walk away for a bit and still have it crank out games for you is a plus).
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:45 PM   #293
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moalkha View Post
As hard to believe as it is, I still have a chance to win my division in the league of death (Gold 301), albeit with a losing record, as I am now leading by 2 games.

If I mange to hold on, it will probably mean a very quick exit form the playoffs and an even longer season next year.

Nonetheless it's a fun ride and very addicting.
Are you Perugia?
2-0 lead in the DS over Thorp Springs?

I know how you feel. My 89-win Dragonstone Flames have a 2-0 lead over 118-win Toronto, and if I get past them, I've probably got 118-win Everett who beat me in my division by 29 1/2 games.

Heck, I had to win Game 163 to get the second WC. But 4-0 on the road since Game 162. Now let's see how I do at home!
2002halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #294
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharknut View Post
Question on team building:

I've made the wild card both seasons and I am in the mix in a gold league for another WC spot. There are some players available for auction around 10,000 or so, but they aren't THAT much better than who I have, and some have worse ratings. I haven't spent any real money but it seems the only way to get the monster players is either spend real money or get lucky with packs. It's hard to wait and save all your points to get to 30,000 and get a great player.

Would you wait and earn more points, spend 13,000 on 13 silver packs or spend 5,000 on a gold and 8,000 on silver?
You received some fair answers to this question, but there's one piece of advice I'd give that nobody mentioned.

I'd ask "What do you need?"

Diagnose your team's biggest weakness. On your team home page, how does your team rank compared to your league in runs scored and runs allowed?

Whichever is worst is the one you need to address. If it's runs allowed, look at how your starters and bullpen rank to see which is the bigger problem. (Sometimes you can improve both by getting a better starter for your rotation and moving the replaced starter to the pen.)

If it's offense, go into your lineups. Always check the Splits tab on vs R and vs L. Ideally you want guys with OPS+ scores better than 100 vs both, but you can carry a player or two below 100 if they play good defense.

After you've checked all this stuff, sometimes you'll see a glaring weakness... For example, maybe both your catchers have a sub-70 OPS+ versus Right. Probably time to look for a good left-handed hitting catcher.

If you find a glaring weakness, look for cards that solve the issue. Checking other player's rosters in the league can give you clues, because you can see how different cards perform in the exact same league environment.

I'd go auction house to solve obvious issues. It's when your team is pretty solid with no obvious needs that I'd try my luck with packs. Odds are you won't get a card you can use, but it's fun to try, and you never know.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:02 PM   #295
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2002halos View Post
Are you Perugia?

I know how you feel. My 89-win Dragonstone Flames have a 2-0 lead over 118-win Toronto, and if I get past them, I've probably got 118-win Everett who beat me in my division by 29 1/2 games.

Heck, I had to win Game 163 to get the second WC. But 4-0 on the road since Game 162. Now let's see how I do at home!
Yes, I am Perugia and I don’ Even want to think about me advancing to the LCS until it’s over.
moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:10 PM   #296
Morug
Major Leagues

Quote:
Are you Perugia?

Good luck! I support your team!
Morug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:13 PM   #297
moalkha
Minors (Triple A)

Are you Perugia?

Good job with the sweep. ��

Last edited by moalkha; 12-23-2018 at 01:17 PM.
moalkha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #298
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Are you Perugia?

Oh, great and now that I am indeed facing a team who beat me in my regular season division play by 29 1/2 games, I guess he's shaking in his boots, because he just added a Perfect Barry Bonds to his roster!!

Not starting Bonds in his lineup v L... He'll being seeing a Lefty starter from me 6 times if the Series goes 7 games.

Last edited by 2002halos; 12-23-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:34 PM   #299
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morug View Post
Good luck! I support your team!
Thanks. I like what you're doing with your Expos Legends team. In my other Gold League (much less scary) I'm building a similar team based on the Angels. Loads of fun... They actually put up the best regular season record in the league for the third straight year, but unlike the first two going to the seventh game of the WS, got swept out of the DS this time.

If they were in .301 they'd have been fighting relegation. It's night and day, and makes me wonder if there was some seeding going on straight out of Entry Level, moving the big spenders to one end of the structure.
Old 12-23-2018, 02:11 PM   #300
vyshka
Major Leagues

My bronze league team just won their division series 3-1, so they should be assured promotion to silver. The wildcard team won their division series, and we will face them in the sub-league series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westheim View Post
Cleansing, cleansing, cleansing - then bought three packs. Even found two golds in them!

Both are A.J. Minter.

That only happens to me.
In beta I pulled 2 Gerrit Cole diamonds in a set of packs.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote