Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
ProXy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Editing/adding histories and other non-simulated data (career stats, past seasons' games, etc.)

Hey all,

So maybe this is more of a feature request, but since after looking around the forums it appears that at least some of this is possible, I'm posting it here as more of a how-do-you-do-it kind of question. I also don't actually own OOTP 19, I have 18, but I'm eyeing 19 very closely (I'm probably going to get it eventually) and would be happy to know if any of what I'm about to ask is possible in either game.

I have a fictional league in OOTP 18 that I started in the year 2016, but the league itself (in my head) doesn't actually START in 2016... I want to add career stats to the players and league history to the league. I've seen around the forums that in general, anything that can be exported to a .csv and imported can be edited, added, or "backfilled" in this way (most notably, player statistics), but it looks like not everything is possible. Like, for instance, if I wanted to add to my biggest slugger's career stats that he managed to hit 60+ HR's in 2014 or something (despite my league simulation starting - and hence, the league """starting""" - in 2016), I could certainly do that. But it doesn't sound like I can scope out the game logs of all the games in which he hit a HR, or edit his awards to acknowledge his 60+ HR feat, or edit the league history to reflect the fact that his team, while making it to the World Series, lost in, say, five games...or at least, I can't (or don't know how to) do this in OOTP 18.

Is any of this possible in OOTP 19? Am I wrong and all of this is possible in OOTP 18? It sounds like deep database entry was once possible in the very early OOTP versions... any reason why it was taken out?

I certainly can't speak for everyone on this forum (I don't even have ten posts yet!), but I think the ability to flesh out the histories through editing (and, as a bonus, have the stats remain consistent, e.g. if I backfill Player B to have more HR's in a season than Player A and Player A has the current record, then it changes the current record to reflect Player B's record) would be a huge boost to the ability to really develop baseball universes in this game. It's great that the simulation in OOTP is so deep as to develop nearly any baseball situation organically, but sometimes you want to develop that organic simulation on top of some existing context (or just fix clerical errors within the game's records or continue from a league imported from a different simulator). Maybe I'll never actually have a player that hits 60 HR's in a season, but I kinda like the ability of implementing it as a historical stat anyway - perhaps, as a benchmark to be reached or exceeded by the current players in the league.

Thanks to anyone who can help me in this matter.
ProXy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
ProXy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I hope it's okay that I bumped this thread since it fell off the first page. I'd really like to know if this is possible.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I think this is a fascinating question as I have been thinking about something like this lately with my latest fictional project in which I keep thinking that I'd like to have the back-story filled in (statistically speaking, at least) on my more veteran players whose major league careers pre-date the start of my league. (I've been considering whether I want to generate these somehow manually and just keep them in paper form for my own obsessive purposes.)
Sorry that I have absolutely no answer to your question but I do hope somebody else will as I would love to hear it also.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #4
OutS|der
Hall Of Famer

I do know you can export all players stats, edit those and import them back in.
So making Player A have 60+ HR's in any season past is possible.

As to league stats, IE who won what and when is not possible as far as I know.
Not sure if editing Player A to have 80 HR's would change the record as I've never tried it before

What you are suggesting is a great idea though. I've longed wanted to import the history of the Nippon or International leagues and give it some actual history rather then the blank state we have now.
OutS|der is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:22 AM   #5
andyhdz
All Star Starter

Most people just start at an earlier year and sim to the start year to build a league history.
andyhdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
ra24mpa
Minors (Triple A)

Since we're listing the historical things we would like to make editable at some point, I would like to include managerial records.
ra24mpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
Most people just start at an earlier year and sim to the start year to build a league history.
Im not sure why this isn't an option here; rather than manually edit hundreds of players you can manually edit only what's needed for your story. Better yet, random chance will in many cases suggest a better story or improve the one you had in mind.

Current Project: WBAT/AABBA: Organized Base Ball And the "New Normal" World Baseball Aid Tournament 2023 trophy round underway!
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #8
Mat
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyhdz View Post
This.

It is much easier, and more organic to start your league several years earlier if you want a history when you start.

How would you go about back filling an entire league with stats? It could take months.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat View Post
This.

It is much easier, and more organic to start your league several years earlier if you want a history when you start.

How would you go about back filling an entire league with stats? It could take months.
You could probably write an algorithm to do it.

But at that point you might as well simulate it with OOTP lol.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
Critical Mass
Minors (Triple A)

They stole my thunder. Start at an earlier year and just simulate up till 2016.
Critical Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #11
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

I hear what people are saying about simming ahead to start with and building up a history and that is exactly the answer I was expecting to predominate here. And this clearly works for many, so it's a very valid answer. I know that in my current fictional project I made the mistake of getting attached to some players before doing this and therefore I have started from scratch with no built up history. And it does seem to me like, no matter what, unless a league's inaugural draft only consists of very young players, you are going to have players in your league who theoretically have years of major league experience but with no statistical history. Granted, if they have been retired for 50+ years when you actually enter the league who cares. But it doesn't really exactly answer the original question. It's just the most popular and well-used work-around.
Old 05-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #12
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdWatcher View Post
And it does seem to me like, no matter what, unless a league's inaugural draft only consists of very young players, you are going to have players in your league who theoretically have years of major league experience but with no statistical history.
I always erase all service time when I start a league, so everyone starts off on a level playing field in that sense regardless of age.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #13
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
I always erase all service time when I start a league, so everyone starts off on a level playing field in that sense regardless of age.
Totally makes sense. And I should point out that I'm not the OP on this and don't want to speak for them. This isn't something that is a big deal to me either way. If I want to build up a sort of back-story for my guys I'm happy to do it in some analog fashion and let it live independent outside of the game environment.
Still, in an ideal world it would be great if the approach the OP is looking for was another option for those who prefer to do it that way instead.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:05 PM   #14
BBGiovanni
All Star Starter

Maybe I still don't get it, but one of the timeworn strategies for fictional games is to start 20 years before you want to "play", then erase all history. Then all the uberplayers the game creates as default vets (which I think is your concern) are gone.

Current Project: WBAT/AABBA: Organized Base Ball And the "New Normal" World Baseball Aid Tournament 2023 trophy round underway!
BBGiovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 03:26 PM   #15
kit444
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I’d like to be able to edit the team histories to add past championships. I started my fictional league on APBA years ago. It would be nice when a news story reports on a franchise’s history (“Team wins its second championship!”), it could include the history you add in for whatever reason.
kit444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #16
ProXy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Thank you all for the responses! Hopefully they'll add history editing in a future update. And yeah, I understand that you can sim up to your desired year and delete service time so everyone's on the same page, but the "analog history" I have now outside of the game spans a few decades (not a complete history mind you, but I have details like who won the championship series for the last 50 years before my ideal simulation start), and trying to get the game to align to that history would be difficult even with simulation. Honestly, it could be a lot of work to do it by hand, but if it was possible to just fill in a particular statistical value randomly based on some given mean and variance (which I guess is like simulation, but only partially; like if you randomly determined a player was going to hit, say, 24 HR's in a season without simming the whole thing out), then that plus manual editing would probably just be easier for me personally.

Regardless, once again, I appreciate all your responses and I guess I'll have to just settle for the separation between the game history and the analog history. Maybe when I get OOTP 19, I'll see how feasible it would be to simulate incrementally to make sure all the analog history details line up.