Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > OOTP 16 - General Discussions

OOTP 16 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2015 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-24-2015, 03:15 AM   #41
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Only real reason? Your elbow. Let me repeat:

Steam means: no CD's or DVD's to have to keep, no need to manually update your games ever because Steam does that for you, the ability to play any game you own on any computer you are on, easy modding through Steam Workshops, saves available on any computer through Steam cloud saves, access to more games than you can imagine, access to Steam and Humble Bundle and Bundlestars game sales where you can get tons of good games for almost nothing, Steam achievements, Steam friends, Steam discussion forums, Steam user game images and videos, tons of free to play games, tons of online multiplayer games (many free, including the awesome DOTA 2 - Dota 2 on Steam - that I play a lot) that you can jump right into, and a thousand other things. Steam or something like it is the future of gaming.

I get so very tired of ignorance.
Chill. Valve isn't paying you. Unless they are which would make this all the more meaningless.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
megamanmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:31 AM   #42
Mortimer
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Only real reason? Your elbow. Let me repeat:

Steam means: no CD's or DVD's to have to keep, no need to manually update your games ever because Steam does that for you, the ability to play any game you own on any computer you are on, easy modding through Steam Workshops, saves available on any computer through Steam cloud saves, access to more games than you can imagine, access to Steam and Humble Bundle and Bundlestars game sales where you can get tons of good games for almost nothing, Steam achievements, Steam friends, Steam discussion forums, Steam user game images and videos, tons of free to play games, tons of online multiplayer games (many free, including the awesome DOTA 2 - Dota 2 on Steam - that I play a lot) that you can jump right into, and a thousand other things. Steam or something like it is the future of gaming.

I get so very tired of ignorance.
We were talking about OOTP here, OOTP 15 had achievements in the stand alone version. You also get a steam key so you get access to everything you listed here if you buy from the OOTP store.

I do buy games on steam myself, if they are more than 60% off and were not good enough to buy new.

You've been around here way to long to be throwing out idle insults like that...

Quote:
1. Standard retail markup is 40%. Steam's is 30%.
There's not a standard retail mark up on OOTP's store...which again we are talking about why you would by OOTP from steam.

Quote:
2. You cannot lose access to your games. That is a grand falsehood. If anything were to happen to Steam, which is a ridiculous thought in the first place, they have committed to just cutting all the games loose so you would have them forever.
I'll give you this one though, I was not aware of that, I figured it was highly unlikely it would shut down, but everything else you mentioned you can still get by ordering OOTP from their store and they get more of the money.
Mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:41 AM   #43
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer View Post
There's not a standard retail mark up on OOTP's store...which again we are talking about why you would by OOTP from steam.
Yeah... you do realize the software required to verify the game costs money. So there is no mark up only because that cost is likely paid up front then passed along.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Old 01-24-2015, 03:47 AM   #44
Mortimer
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
Yeah... you do realize the software required to verify the game costs money. So there is no mark up only because that cost is likely paid up front then passed along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Everyone who doesn't mind, get the direct download version from our site so we don't have to pay the big cut Steam gets from all theri sales

The best is preordering now, since that includes a free Steam key, so you get the best of both worlds.
I would say since Markus posted this in this thread he'd know exactly how much they get from sales from their store vs steam
Old 01-24-2015, 03:53 AM   #45
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I would say since Markus posted this in this thread he'd know exactly how much they get from sales from their store vs steam
Not what I'm saying either. The fact is the verification software costs money. That cost has to come from somewhere. Maybe it's not as much as Steam, maybe it is. I don't know or care as it is completely irrelevant. The point is some part of what you are paying is going towards some of the services Steam provides. Whether Markus pays it first or it gets taken out of the sale it still goes to the same place.

There are legitimate reasons to not use Steam, but none of them are what you've said and most of them are pretty mundane, like lack of access to high speed or even reliable internet being one of the biggest. It's easy to forget gamers don't just live in places with modern luxuries.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:12 AM   #46
Mortimer
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
Not what I'm saying either. The fact is the verification software costs money. That cost has to come from somewhere. Maybe it's not as much as Steam, maybe it is. I don't know or care as it is completely irrelevant. The point is some part of what you are paying is going towards some of the services Steam provides. Whether Markus pays it first or it gets taken out of the sale it still goes to the same place.

There are legitimate reasons to not use Steam, but none of them are what you've said and most of them are pretty mundane, like lack of access to high speed or even reliable internet being one of the biggest. It's easy to forget gamers don't just live in places with modern luxuries.
The only legitimate reason I gave not to use steam was the devs get more money, which I showed. Everything else you mentioned is going to hurt you if you download from steam or OOTP but you can download from both if you buy from OOTP since you get the steam key.

So the only difference is steam is more convenient because you probably have your info in there already, and the Devs get more money if you buy from them and you can choose if you want to download it through OOTP or steam.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:23 AM   #47
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

It's like beating my head against a post.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #48
doors11
All Star Reserve

can will still use our key from OOTP to be able to use on two computers just like always?
doors11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #49
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by doors11 View Post
can will still use our key from OOTP to be able to use on two computers just like always?
Yes
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:26 AM   #50
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

I used my OOTP15 key for steam and started a game on it. A patch was released here and I applied it on my steam game... well that didn't go to well, my file got corrupted. I also noticed that the patches are not released as quick as the ones here directly for your computer. So I just uninstalled my steam version and never bothered with it again. That was my experience with it.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #51
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

weird question but can we have a steam version and a regular version on the same computer?

I ask because I often will have ootp open at the same time on my laptop and my desktop for various reasons. It works perfect when I'm using the regular version, but if it's on steam then I could only have it open on one computer at a time.

So lets say I have the steam version installed on both computers and want ootp up on both, can i have a regular version installed and open it instead?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:48 AM   #52
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
weird question but can we have a steam version and a regular version on the same computer?

I ask because I often will have ootp open at the same time on my laptop and my desktop for various reasons. It works perfect when I'm using the regular version, but if it's on steam then I could only have it open on one computer at a time.

So lets say I have the steam version installed on both computers and want ootp up on both, can i have a regular version installed and open it instead?
nm

Last edited by BusterKing; 01-24-2015 at 09:53 AM.
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:22 PM   #53
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:

Yes, you can.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:24 PM   #54
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You also get a steam key so you get access to everything you listed here if you buy from the OOTP store.
Only if you pre-order. Which is why everyone should.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #55
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

Steam is nice if you're like me and change computers a lot. Elicenses have been the bane of my existence for years because 1) you can't always keep track of games you've bought over the years and 2) if you lose a machine before you can deactivate the license, it can be difficult with some elicenses to get them to clear your licenses and let you login to the game that you purchased.

Not really a Steam is the best nod from here, but from that perspective, it's a lot nicer especially for these kinds of games.

Also to the CD/DVD nod, used to play the heck out of SimCity 4 and gotta say that I probably bought 5 or 6 copies of that game over the years because I kept losing the CDs.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:25 PM   #56
Assos
All Star Starter

Quote:
Only if you pre-order. Which is why everyone should.
I did not last year and it makes me sad that I did not!
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #57
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterKing View Post
I used my OOTP15 key for steam and started a game on it. A patch was released here and I applied it on my steam game... well that didn't go to well, my file got corrupted. I also noticed that the patches are not released as quick as the ones here directly for your computer. So I just uninstalled my steam version and never bothered with it again. That was my experience with it.
Never manually patch a Steam game.

Steam has to verify all patches themselves, so the patches are not immediate. On the other hand, they are automatic.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:08 PM   #58
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Everyone who doesn't mind, get the direct download version from our site so we don't have to pay the big cut Steam gets from all theri sales

The best is preordering now, since that includes a free Steam key, so you get the best of both worlds.
Are you saying that if I preorder here for my Steam key that you will make more money than if I pre-order from Steam? If so, then I will be happy to order here.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #59
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I know an astronaut that play FM in outerspace

I know 170 astronauts and rocket scientists that invented outer space.

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:13 PM   #60
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Are you saying that if I preorder here for my Steam key that you will make more money than if I pre-order from Steam? If so, then I will be happy to order here.
Yeah, that's what he's saying.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote