Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:29 PM   #1
drhay53
Major Leagues

1st and 3rd 1 out stolen base attempts

Is it just me or does it seem like there is an over-abundance of stolen base attempts in this situation? It seems like guys get thrown out at 2nd in this situation way more often than in other stolen base situations. This just seems to me like a terrible time to run, and yet it seems like the AI steals more frequently in this situation than in others.

I'm playing in a fictional league with modifiers set to 2015.

Also a note about stolen bases and strategy; I think it's very important to be able to specify in strategy settings whether you're ahead or behind, not just a +/-. In "the book" they point out that stolen bases attempts are generally much less valuable when you're behind. Nothing is worse that seeing a guy get thrown out at 2nd base down by 2 runs in the 9th inning. WTF are you doing?!?!
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Please complain much louder and much more often.....
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
ralphieboy
Major Leagues

Another one that is way too frequent is runners on first and second. The man on second steals and then the man on first takes second right behind him so you end up with runners on 2nd and 3rd. It seems to happen like this every time.

There should be instances of the runner on second stealing while the man on first just stays in his spot.
ralphieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
Hammercraft
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphieboy View Post
Another one that is way too frequent is runners on first and second. The man on second steals and then the man on first takes second right behind him so you end up with runners on 2nd and 3rd. It seems to happen like this every time.

There should be instances of the runner on second stealing while the man on first just stays in his spot.
Unless you have Joey Meyer on first the runner is always going. Even then he's probably going. He's dead in a double play anyway, so you might as well send him and eliminate the force at one base. If they throw to get the slow runner they're conceding the sac fly.
Hammercraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Number4
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammercraft View Post
Unless you have Joey Meyer on first the runner is always going. Even then he's probably going. He's dead in a double play anyway, so you might as well send him and eliminate the force at one base. If they throw to get the slow runner they're conceding the sac fly.
It's still stupid, because then what is the double steal for? If i double steal with a fattie at 1st, then he'd likely be the victim at 2nd. If I just steal with the presumably good stealer from 2nd, they have to make the much tougher play of getting a real stealer out at third, while my fattie can lumber into 2nd risk-free.
I basically have stopped to double-steal with guys who'd be a great DS threat otherwise, because I can just steal 3rd (with the runner having the option to abort in case of bad jump) and still get the benefits of a double steal.