Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-13-2016, 12:30 PM   #41
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
I bet Markus and company are rolling their eyes thinking "we just can't win!" Lol. Can't please everyone. Still amazing game though
No he is likely thinking .." Which system appeals more to the masses"...and then " who buys more copy of the game?" I hate to say it, but there are going to be areas of the game where I think the developers my cater to the "gamey" part of the customer base. I personally hate this new draft talent distribution (even if most of the highly ranked players do tank). This is an area of OOTP where is SHOULD be customizable.
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:35 PM   #42
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Arnold View Post
I like it mostly because I remember before, I would draft one round, maybe 2, and after that, every player just looked like a useless sack of ****, so what was the point of even picking between them? There was basically no difference between players when everyone is a 1/2 star talent.
Fair point, but why so many 5 star players....that's definitely not realistic...what about a better distribution of 3 , 2.5, and 2 star players?
Old 04-13-2016, 02:10 PM   #43
Assos
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Fair point, but why so many 5 star players....that's definitely not realistic...what about a better distribution of 3 , 2.5, and 2 star players?
I started a fictional league with the game creating players between 18 and 22 to start. I had a lot of 5 star players, but as the season has flushed out, alot of the 5 stars have become in the 2 to 3 range. It changes which I like!
Assos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #44
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

But my point is...you should have all of those 4 and 5 star players in the draft
Old 04-13-2016, 08:06 PM   #45
NotMuchTime
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
Good post..... If 3.0 'stars' is equivalent to average MLB (50 on the 20-80), then over 90% of major league players are 2.5 to 3.5 stars with the over half of them at 3.0. That's the way it works in real life. Assuming we use '5 stars' for 75-80 players, there should be very few in the league and possibly none in the top 100 prospect list. Right now, in the top 100, there are only two 70 potential players and no one is rated 75 or 80. They aren't very common. One web site says .2% of players are an 80. This is an issue as it affects the AI, especially trades. Holy crap, my OOTP league has players from 20 to 80 in the MLB. That is not how MLB scouting works.

Last edited by NotMuchTime; 04-14-2016 at 08:28 AM.
NotMuchTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:19 PM   #46
daves
Hall Of Famer

I bought at full price specifically for this:

6. Historical Exhibition mode

Great feature that can be tweaked with later updates or future versions.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:51 PM   #47
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
...and Anthopolous no longer has a GM job in part because he couldn't build much of a farm system.
Ordinarily my good fellow, I agree with much of what you say and I find you to be quite reasonable. In this case however I must ask you: have you lost your mind? How many times does he have to build a farm system up for you to give him some credit?

He did it from late 2009 through 2012. Then he pushed his chips into the centre of the table and went for it. That gamble didn't pay off...So he went to work building it up again and had it built up enough to pull off one of the greatest trade deadline swap sessions in the history of the game.

How did he do it? Did he have compromising pictures of the other 29 GMs and they just said "Go ahead, just take him." Uh no. He gave up primo talent including to your Mets (in case I have to remind you every time you see Thor and d'Arnaud form the battery for your favourite team). These trades were all value for value, and yet there's still some young talent left in the system (at the lower levels) and at the big league level.

After the 2012 season, he gave up (among others): Henderson Alvarez, Adeiny Hechavarria, Anthony DeSclafani, Jake Marisnick, Justin Nicolino, Noah Syndergaard, Travis d'Arnaud, and Yan Gomes to take a shot at the big prize. As I said it didn't work, but in the system, he still had Daniel Norris, Miguel Castro, Aaron Sanchez, Marcus Stroman, Roberto Osuna, Jairo Labourt, Jesus Tinoco, Anthony Alford, Dalton Pompey, Dawel Lugo, Franklin Baretto, Kendall Graveman, Sean Nolin off the top of my head. He's very good at building up a system, and he has the cahones to not get too attached to his prospects when he sees an opportunity to go for it. As a fan, that's all I can ask for thank you very much, and I feel quite certain that he will get another GM-type job (whether it's Vice-President of Baseball Operations, President of Baseball Operations, GM whatever...Somebody will take a chance on him and hand him the keys again - book it!) and he will do better because he learned a lot in his first go around.

EDIT: Whoops...Didn't read...You've already had your feet held to the fire...Carry on.

Last edited by actionjackson; 04-13-2016 at 11:57 PM.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:17 AM   #48
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson View Post
EDIT: Whoops...Didn't read...You've already had your feet held to the fire...Carry on.
Yes, not one of my better moments That was a 2:00 AM, worked all day, should have been in bed hours ago, had a drink or two and could barely type coherent sentences and couldn't form logical thoughts at all post, if I'm being honest

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-14-2016 at 12:19 AM.
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:36 AM   #49
Go Middies
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Yes, but this is just propaganda.

Boston are the masters at over-hyping their prospects, been doing it for years and Anthopolous no longer has a GM job in part because he couldn't build much of a farm system.
Huh? AA doesn't have a GM job because he didn't sign a new deal. Was offered one, said no.

And couldn't build much of a farm system? How do you think he got Price, Tulo et al? Plus Pompey, Stro, Alford, Pentecost, Greene.
Go Middies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #50
Doc_Brown
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yes, not one of my better moments That was a 2:00 AM, worked all day, should have been in bed hours ago, had a drink or two and could barely type coherent sentences and couldn't form logical thoughts at all post, if I'm being honest
Someone opened a box they shouldn't have
Doc_Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #51
clamel
All Star Starter

Still missing one vital improvement. How to handle the important Lefty vs Lefty issue.
First nearly all lefty pitchers seems to have just a slight better rating vs left hitters, and most managers have a tendency to ignore the today very used lefty vs lefty situation.
Heck some managers even live by using it up to madness ....

This game can even still have a bullpen with 4-5 lefties, and NONE is setup as a lefty specilist. That option have been included to select for bullpens BUT I haven't seen any manager use it as often as it is used in RL.

Now I might be wrong not playing it as much as some, but every year it's an issue I take a look at.
You must agree that building a bullpen should include at least one guy that is a sure bet to get that pesky lefty hitter. In the game I feel it doesn't matter, which is losing an important thing IMHO.

It should be a lift to the game and the true feelings to bring on a lefty knowing that it might play a difference as in RL.
clamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:20 PM   #52
'94 EXPOS
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Brown View Post
Someone opened a box they shouldn't have
Lol....I think Lukasberger has....graciously I might add....taken his lumps....enough is enough!
'94 EXPOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:08 AM   #53
BusterKing
Hall Of Famer

this thread should be sticky
BusterKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 02:25 PM   #54
OldFatGuy
All Star Starter

Well, if it's true that Markus wants to cater to what pleases the most, then I want to add my two cents that I much, MUCH, prefer the way 16 handled player creation and development. Others have touched on why it was more realistic, I just want to add that IMO it was more FUN.

Someone will have to explain to me why it's more fun to draft 6 5-star potential players a year only to know they're almost certainly all going to fail (thanks to the new development engine) versus drafting 6 1 star potential players a year and knowing they're almost certainly all not going to make the show. It's more frustrating to me.

And just to add to the realism argument, how often do Bryce Harpers, Stephen Strasburg's, etc. come up in the draft? It's not dozens of times every year, it's dozens of times every 10 years.

To me the "old" (OOTP16) way was far more fun and gratifying, along with being more realistic. I wish I had read this thread yesterday before buying, this is such a deal breaker for me, as it will make the draft even more of a crapshoot. Now if I've "earned" the top pick, instead of 5 to 10 top level talents to choose from (with a good shot that at least a couple of them will make it), I'll have to look at a whole page of "top level talents" with a horrible shot that they'll make it since the development engine will "break" more of them after creating more of them for the draft.

Bring back the old one please Markus.
Old 04-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #55
NYYANKS98
Minors (Double A)

To me it seems there needs to be an in between. I don't have 17 but in 16 it seems there are a bunch of 5s followed by a very quick drop off in potential to 1-2. There should be a couple of 5s followed by many more 2 1/2s, 3s and 4s than in both versions IMO
NYYANKS98 is offline   Reply With Quote