Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 09-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #1
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Import FHM3 to FHM4

Can we Import from FHM3 to FHM4?
Rayzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #2
Nino33
Major Leagues

Sebastian has answered "Sorry, that is not possible" http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...1&postcount=44
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:52 PM   #3
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

That makes online leagues more difficult to implement.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
landru22
Major Leagues

I think this feature is more important to more people than the developers realize. I would hope that by the time FHM5 comes out we will be able to import our FHM4 saves.
landru22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

I hope so too. I am in no position to asses how it will effect sales. I am accustomed to it from OOTP. I have no idea if FM or EHM, in the past, supported this.
Is this an OOTP thing that I am accustomed to and really does not exist in other management sims? Does Wolverine Studios or FoF have this option too?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
JeffR
FHM Producer

We're getting pretty close to being able to do it, I think. There were fewer big changes in the database format this time, and we've been pre-loading things we'll need in the future into the structure. There will always be some differences year-to-year, but at some point they'll be similar enough that we can convert an older database to a new format without breaking anything critical. As was said above, it's pretty vital to online leagues; I don't think it'll make much sense to add online play if people have to restart their leagues (or do a massive amount of editing to re-create them) every year.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
marc420
Minors (Double A)

It makes sense economically to add this feature.

For example, I now do not buy FM every year. I often have a game going in a previous version, and I know that if I do get the latest version that means abandoning my game and starting over.

In FHM, that would mean not only losing the game I have going, and the knowledge I've gained about my team, etc .... but it also means setting up a custom league from scratch again.

When I look on my computer, I see the icon says FM15. And I have no intention of buying this year's version. The lack of such an import feature is the only reason why.

So, not only for online, multiplayer leagues is this function needed. But for a single player game its also much appreciated. I like to coach my own games. For me, that's a major feature in such a game. As such, my leagues progress very slowly. I may only have played one season or slightly more in the year before the next version comes out. As such, I don't like having to abandon the game world I've been learning every year. The entire long-term features of the game are lost.

You should also tell people up front that this is the case. Your advertisements should include at least a note saying that previous games can not be imported from earlier versions. It certainly should be in the manual. A player should not have to search the forums to find out that this can't be done.
marc420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #8
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc420 View Post
It makes sense economically to add this feature.

For example, I now do not buy FM every year. I often have a game going in a previous version, and I know that if I do get the latest version that means abandoning my game and starting over.

In FHM, that would mean not only losing the game I have going, and the knowledge I've gained about my team, etc .... but it also means setting up a custom league from scratch again.

When I look on my computer, I see the icon says FM15. And I have no intention of buying this year's version. The lack of such an import feature is the only reason why.

So, not only for online, multiplayer leagues is this function needed. But for a single player game its also much appreciated. I like to coach my own games. For me, that's a major feature in such a game. As such, my leagues progress very slowly. I may only have played one season or slightly more in the year before the next version comes out. As such, I don't like having to abandon the game world I've been learning every year. The entire long-term features of the game are lost.

You should also tell people up front that this is the case. Your advertisements should include at least a note saying that previous games can not be imported from earlier versions. It certainly should be in the manual. A player should not have to search the forums to find out that this can't be done.
I think the assumption for most people would be that you can't, unless it says otherwise. Nothing in Forza 7 says "you can't import data from Forza 6" as they're stand alone games.

That said, I agree it would be a nice feature to be added. I assumed that at the beginning things are changing too fast for that to be possible, but as things get more stable year to year, maybe it will be. I am the same with Football Manager now, buy it every 2-3 years.

Last edited by dmacgreg37; 10-11-2017 at 03:06 PM.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:16 PM   #9
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

When we add it to the game, we will add it to the "new feature" list, just as any other new feature. We will not do a "not feature of the game" list...