Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2008, 12:49 PM   #1
Ekcut
Minors (Double A)

Putting out feelers for a super-fast paced league.

My search for a fast-paced semi-historical league has come up empty. I am kicking around the idea of starting my own, but I first am looking to see if there is enough interest.

The league I would create would include the following.

-Run in OOTP9...game is mandatory
-Starting in 1920, with real teams & players, Game simmed from 1871 to end of season 1919....lottery to pick teams for all origional owners...winner gets 1st choice)
-Even markets to start
-Very fast sim schedule. Along the lines of
Mon-Apr
Tues-May
Wed-June (Ammy list released, forum drafting begins)
Thur-July up to Trade Deadline
Fri, Sat, Ammy draft continues/Trade days
Sun-Trade deadline passes, post deadline roster released.
Mon-Ammy draft completed, Sim Aug
Tues-Sim til end of reg season
Wed-Sim playoffs
Thurs-Season flipped, FA bidding begins
Fri, Sat, Sun-FA bidding, sim to opening day.
Repeat
(that is 1 season every two weeks realtime for those mathimatically challenged)
-Salary Cap (sure it isn't historical, but promotes parity and increases the FA pool)
-No mandatory writing or writing bonuses.
-No coaches/scouts
-Fictional minor leaguers
-Expansion as the league expands.
-No pick trading
-Ammy draft lottery with each team getting a weighted chance at #1. (16th place team gets 16 entries, 15th gets 15 etc etc World series champ gets 1 entry)
-

This is designed to be a "2nd league". Micromanagers would not be impresses with the ammount of control that must be given to AI managers. But those looking for "careers" will be more than happy. The 1st player you ever drafted will probably be retired by the time OOTP 10 is released! During that time, you may have won 5 pennants, and 5 basement finishes.
I have my micromanage leagues, but I also want a league that can pump out 20+ seasons in a real life year. There is something special about seeing a player that you drafted, retire and enter the hall of fame. (or a player that you drafted, nurtured and was the heart of your franchise for 15yrs all of a sudden ask for an outrageous contract forcing you to trade him)
I was in a league in OOTP 6, that was like this, and the closure of this league still haunts me and was the reason I left the OOTP world for a few years. It was THAT much fun!

This is NOT an open invite to start choosing teams....what I am interested in is seeing if there are others, like myself, who are interested in a fast paced league. If the interest is there, I'll start the wheels in motion.

Respond here, or send a PM if you have questions, suggestions.

Eric

Last edited by Ekcut; 07-03-2008 at 12:50 PM.
Ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #2
Recte44
Global Moderator

What, ORB2's not doing it for you?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #3
Recte44
Global Moderator

dola,

Sounds like something that would be better suited to a solo league. That's what I do for solo leagues.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
doug melvin
Minors (Single A)

I wouldn't recommend 'slotting' draft picks beyond the top 2-3 or so. This prevents tanking to get a specific player. Your scheme would give the four worst teams in the league a combined 42% chance of getting the top pick in the draft, which is really low (the best spect has less than a 50% chance of going to the teams that truly stink)

Last edited by doug melvin; 07-03-2008 at 03:32 PM.
doug melvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Ekcut
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recte44 View Post
What, ORB2's not doing it for you?
Hehe...ORB2 rocks! but it will take 2 or 3 seasons for a GM to make his mark on his team before it really gets interesting.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Ekcut
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recte44 View Post
dola,

Sounds like something that would be better suited to a solo league. That's what I do for solo leagues.
Ahhh, but in a solo league no-one but you cares if the league lives or dies or if you win 5 World Series in a row. In an online league like this, you have 20 or 40 seasons of bragging rights!
I've been in a league like this before, and it blows solo leagues out of the water!
Old 07-03-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
Recte44
Global Moderator

I think it would be a lot of fun, but might be hard pressed getting people to be able to be around that much. I'd love to see you pull it off!
Old 07-04-2008, 08:59 AM   #8
Pete Grassi
Major Leagues

I agree with Eric. The old NABL run by Dean Gordon was awesome. My team stunk for the first 8 years of the league then I went on a run of winning 4 titles in 6 seasons, all within 1 calendar year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekcut View Post
Ahhh, but in a solo league no-one but you cares if the league lives or dies or if you win 5 World Series in a row. In an online league like this, you have 20 or 40 seasons of bragging rights!
I've been in a league like this before, and it blows solo leagues out of the water!
Pete Grassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
Recte44
Global Moderator

I guess it's just not enough control for me.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #10
Cowboys3356
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Grassi View Post
I agree with Eric. The old NABL run by Dean Gordon was awesome. My team stunk for the first 8 years of the league then I went on a run of winning 4 titles in 6 seasons, all within 1 calendar year!
That was the best OOTP league of all time. Nothing else has been even close to the level of quality found in Gordon's NABL.

I would support Eric's new league and recommend it to others because he is a top notch OOTPer and very dedicated to league play.
Cowboys3356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:21 PM   #11
Ekcut
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys3356 View Post
That was the best OOTP league of all time. Nothing else has been even close to the level of quality found in Gordon's NABL.

I would support Eric's new league and recommend it to others because he is a top notch OOTPer and very dedicated to league play.
Thanks...and as per our agreement, your family has been released unharmed.
Old 07-07-2008, 04:01 AM   #12
Skywalker76
All Star Reserve

Together with FORT the NABL was by far the best league I was ever in. I really thought that the fast pace of the league makes people stick around longer than in other leagues. Taking over a crappy team and building it into a contender doesn't take one year of real life but only a few weeks, which is much more exciting.

If you start please count me in!
Skywalker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:08 AM   #13
bailey
Hall Of Famer

I think that this is something I would enjoy also.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:42 AM   #14
BaseballMan
Hall Of Famer

I think its a good idea. I dont mind my solo leagues being slow because i know how far i will sim in it. But in the couple of online leagues i joined.
Well 1 was through before the first draft and the other i played for about 3 seasons and was getting the team built that i wanted but the league folded.
Its frustrating to put in the time and have a league fold. I dont care to join a league just to sim the 1920's. I would like to see more of baseball history covered. I dont think it should cover a whole season in 3 days but at the same time maybe cover 3 seasons a month. Of course it might be wise to be sure that everyone has maybe the weekends off or something. Because if your gonna sim fast it would be hard to get everybody for a draft.
BaseballMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #15
scotto313
All Star Starter

This is pretty darn close to the way I run my Solo Leagues. I would love to be a part of a League like this!
scotto313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #16
Ekcut
Minors (Double A)

After a few weeks of this add running, I have 8 potential owners.
It's a start! Enough that I will keep pursuing this idea, I just wanted to keep everyone in the loop.
I want to complete a season in an online OOTP 9 season beore commiting to anything yet...just to see all of the quirks/features of the OOTP 9 game in action.

Last edited by Ekcut; 07-11-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #17
ehencley
Minors (Single A)

I would be interested if it was a fictional league.
ehencley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #18
Matty86
Major Leagues

I'd be interested. Regular leagues usually lose appeal to me, I like seeing things unfold in the long run and looking back at history, 6 months to finish 1 season in an online league drives me crazy, which is why for the most part I havn't been involved in them.
Matty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #19
bp_
Hall Of Famer

I like your idea but I think trading would suffer from that many sims per week. If you did 3 sims a week with a month per sim there would still be room for some trade talk and time for those transactions to take place.

I also think you'd benefit from setting the draft pool to appear as early as possible and then using Getch's util to run the draft right away. Import what you finish by the draft and then use the in-game lists to finish the draft.

I also wouldn't fill the minors with fictional players if you are doing historical. Just do simple 3 level minors to start with until all teams could field full rosters there. Then add a short-season league.

I don't like the pick lottery.

If you end up doing something like this shoot me a PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:36 AM   #20
bailey
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp_ View Post
I like your idea but I think trading would suffer from that many sims per week. If you did 3 sims a week with a month per sim there would still be room for some trade talk and time for those transactions to take place.
The simming stops on the 1st Thurs, leaving a whole weekend for trade talk.

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote