Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Thoughts on OJ Mayo?

No, not OJ and Mayo...

Will he only stay at USC one year? I was thinking of going to a game to see him play, but maybe should go this year.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
No, not OJ and Mayo...
Awww.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
marc
Hall Of Famer

If you want to see him, go this year.

marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 01:21 PM   #4
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Yeah, I figure there's too good a chance he'll be gone. Thoughts on him as a pro? College player?

I saw some posts on Fox Sports where people were bashing, but for the most part it seemed to be bashing without any reasons/stats/analysis to back it up. I've only seen him once on TV so far. But after all the news last year during recruiting, I've been wanting to catch more games.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #5
His Own Bad Self
All Star Starter

Hmmm... thoughts. Dajuan Wagner without the bladder infection, I say.
His Own Bad Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
Big Hugg
All Star Reserve

Has anyone ever boosted their draft stock by having a huge NIT before?
Big Hugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
CMH
Hall Of Famer

I don't see the same talent as a LeBron.

I remember watching LeBron's highschool gamers and thinking, "Wow, this kid undertsands the fundamentals. He needs to learn how to shoot but the rest is all there."

OJ Mayo is still very raw. I guess scouts like his speed and athleticism and his willingness to be the guy. And from what I've seen he's a better shooter at his age than LeBron was. But there's still something missing. I haven't seen much from him but he seems like a star 2 and that's it.

Guys like Durant and LeBron have body types and abilities that allow them to be versatile enough to be considered Top 1's, 2's, and 3's and mediocre 4's. I only see OJ as a Guard. And that's new because most of the guys possessing his talent level have flexible at the guard position (Kobe, McGrady, LeBron, Durant, Vince Carter). You can slide each of them into the three and they'd body with the rest of the bigger guys and get rebounds.

So we'll see. Maybe he'll be a weaker version of those guys. I just worry that if he doesn't become a better shooter he's going to suffer in the league.
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #8
Anisoptera
Minors (Double A)

nbadraft.net has him going 10th.
Anisoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #9
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeePride View Post
So we'll see. Maybe he'll be a weaker version of those guys. I just worry that if he doesn't become a better shooter he's going to suffer in the league.
My concern (bad choice of words but I'm struggling on making a better choice) was that he might be the next Harold Miner. Explosive talent in college and flop in the pros.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:44 PM   #10
CMH
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, apparently the scouts think he already has the jumpshot. We'll see.

I really hope for his sake, Pion, that he is not the next Harold Miner. Though, what happened to Minor? He was actually a pretty good shooter. I just see that his minutes got cut and then he stopped playing in the league.
CMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:50 PM   #11
marc
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Pion> View Post
Yeah, I figure there's too good a chance he'll be gone. Thoughts on him as a pro? College player?

I saw some posts on Fox Sports where people were bashing, but for the most part it seemed to be bashing without any reasons/stats/analysis to back it up. I've only seen him once on TV so far. But after all the news last year during recruiting, I've been wanting to catch more games.

I watched the kid play probably half a dozen times in High School. I don't know how he's been at USC but he had a pretty bad attitude in High School and has gotten the wrap as a "me-first" player.

The kid has the goods though, there's no question about it. Good size, can score from anywhere on the court and when he wants to be, he's a great passer.

I think the big question for him is whether or not he's a PG or a SG at the next level. I'm not the biggest fan in the world of the "combo-guard" so to me he falls behind Gordon and Rose in the draft based on that but he's likely a top 7 pick.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #12
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
I watched the kid play probably half a dozen times in High School. I don't know how he's been at USC but he had a pretty bad attitude in High School and has gotten the wrap as a "me-first" player.
I have no idea about Mayo's game, but it's odd to see a scouting report saying the opposite:

http://www.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=832843

Quote:
One of the most unselfish stars in years. He passes the ball like an advanced player, shoots it deep and there's no way to stop him off the drive in high school. Big time competitor who consistently wins, meets challenges and sets the bar for kids in his class.
"One of the most unselfish stars in years" doesn't match "me-first". Why?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:01 PM   #13
scprideandms
All Star Starter

You can take the boy outta the 'hood, but you can't take the 'hood outta the boy (see also Michael Vick)

If you keep on doing what you've always done you'll keep on gitting what you've always gotten.
scprideandms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #14
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:
Hmm, apparently the scouts think he already has the jumpshot. We'll see.

I really hope for his sake, Pion, that he is not the next Harold Miner. Though, what happened to Minor? He was actually a pretty good shooter. I just see that his minutes got cut and then he stopped playing in the league.
Don't know exactly. I remember rooting for him, him getting a good start on his career, then as you say declining minutes and gone. I do think I remember comments about him either being one dimensional selfish player, not good on defense, or something similar.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #15
Erik W.
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scprideandms View Post
You can take the boy outta the 'hood, but you can't take the 'hood outta the boy (see also Michael Vick)
Yeah, Huntington, WV is a rough place!

Old 01-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #16
<Pion>
All Star Starter

Quote:

The kid has the goods though, there's no question about it. Good size, can score from anywhere on the court and when he wants to be, he's a great passer.

I think the big question for him is whether or not he's a PG or a SG at the next level. I'm not the biggest fan in the world of the "combo-guard" so to me he falls behind Gordon and Rose in the draft based on that but he's likely a top 7 pick.
Looking just at his stats, he is 2nd on the team in assists and tonight while watching him he made the highlights with a nice alley oop he assisted on and a 3 pointer (so small sample but did look to be a good passer. Bad shooting day though. Also noticed a bad .7 turnover ratio (2.8/4.0 IIRC)
Old 01-12-2008, 10:40 PM   #17
LFC1892
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Though, what happened to Minor? He was actually a pretty good shooter. I just see that his minutes got cut and then he stopped playing in the league.
Quote:
After the 1995 season, Miner was traded to the Cleveland Cavaliers. He averaged only 3.2 points and 7.2 minutes per game for the Cavaliers. On October 18, 1995 he was traded to the Toronto Raptors for Victor Alexander, but that trade was rescinded 4 days later when Alexander failed his physical. He played five scoreless minutes in his last NBA game, a 26-point loss to the Chicago Bulls on February 20, 1996. Cleveland waived Miner, having played him in only 19 games that season. He tried out for the Toronto Raptors the following year but was cut during the preseason. Rather than continue to pursue a career in professional basketball, either in the NBA or overseas, Miner retired from the sport. Miner eventually settled near Las Vegas, Nevada and is reportedly an active real estate investor. He is married and has one daughter. Since his retirement from basketball, he has been disinclined to give interviews or make public appearances, instead remaining private and largely inaccessible.
I still remember when Miami drafted him......
LFC1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #18
marc
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipaway View Post
I have no idea about Mayo's game, but it's odd to see a scouting report saying the opposite:

http://www.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=832843

"One of the most unselfish stars in years" doesn't match "me-first". Why?

The kid was suspended multiple times in High School for on and off the court transgressions. He also played at 3 different high schools during his career.

I don't really see a huge difference in what that report says vs. what I'm saying about him. There have been lots of games where he tried to take over and forgot about his teammates but like I said in my post, when he WANTS TO, he's an exceptional passer. They went wayyyy overboard on the "most unselfish star in years" comment though, if he was THAT unselfish, there wouldn't be questions about whether he can run the point at the NBA level.

Last edited by marc; 01-12-2008 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #19
Cooleyvol
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The kid was suspended multiple times in High School for on and off the court transgressions. He also played at 3 different high schools during his career.

I don't really see a huge difference in what that report says vs. what I'm saying about him. There have been lots of games where he tried to take over and forgot about his teammates but like I said in my post, when he WANTS TO, he's an exceptional passer. They went wayyyy overboard on the "most unselfish star in years" comment though, if he was THAT unselfish, there wouldn't be questions about whether he can run the point at the NBA level.
NEWSFLASH Marc: You're now arguing with the one person in the worls who's NEVER wrong. Resistence is futile.
Cooleyvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:07 PM   #20
Skipaway
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's what I figured. I thought you were talking about off the field stuff, because you've mentioned those before.