Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #21
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

there could be some under-the-hood effect... i've seen guys that are consistent for 10 years, others who are volatile, but still relative to their ratings, and guys that consistently underperform over a long period of time with similar ratings over that time.

could just be luck too. the naked eye cannot discern this effect if it is in fact real.

definitely ignore overall for all but the simplest things like sorting fully developed players.. never use it as a decision maker.

galeg: lock the mor eimportant guys and try not to worry about the borderline MLB'ers when in the minors.. .if they lag at a certain level, it's not loss to you and helps provide a winning team too... that keeps the important prospects happier etc. plus, ego concerns of your win/loss records over time

ratings are incredibily inaccurate for the young and inexperienced..

once they have ~3 years in minors they are way more accurate than early on.. futhre influenced by age... may only take a 22 year old 1 year to adjust poor scouting, but an 18 year old takes more time to 'fix' potential scouting errors.

you can prove this by turnign comissioner mode on.. go through each player at each level in editor and shortlist the 'better' ones... then go back to player list with your typical choices for scouting accuracy active... sort by potential... at rookie you will see a very widely scattered capitalized names -- a large poriton will be severely underrated early on and many of the high ratings you see at rookie level are inflated nonsense.. by AAA most of these capitalized names will be a the top with mor accurate becuase you 'know' these players better by AAA. few inflated players at this point.. at AAA and beyond it's more a matter of looking at con/gap/power/eye etc and common sense > overall/potential as far as what to expect in results in your league.

inacccuracy is influenced my multiple factors and is not evenly applied in all contexts.

the more time you ahve them in your system, the better you scout them. even in other systems, but a greater effect in yours with time.

same with mlb players.. 3 years in league, they are probably spot on or you can tell what's "off" through stats by that point. 3 years on your team? they are almost certainly accurately rated.

all you can tell in mil stats is whether their current ability is relative to the baseline in that league.. and the average player there in competition... which won't translate to mlb in ootp (RL is different in this concern.. much stronger correlation to mil stats)

lots of budget room? spend it! max out budgets, go nuts in alternating years with IAFA on july 2nd etc... short term expesnive contracts of FA that won't hurt you when it comes time to sign extensions with younger/longer-term players etc etc...

overpay the guy 30M a year for 2 years, heck 50m for 1 year whatever fits the future salary comittments and budget space.. who cares if it's not hurting you. just don't spend like a drunken sailor if it impedes future success.

also like qeltar said.. the initial afford may seem daunting.. .but after that is is incremental effort... minor maintenace at specific points in year to keep it up-to-date... having a good plan is essential... being organized really helps implement the plan.

create filters for different things.. relate those filters to the concept about scouting accuracy.. ie you can be stricter and more precisse with minimum values you want at each rating when looking at FA than draft picks... save thsoe filters and views.. adjust them, delete them/start over whatever is neeeded. eventaulyl it'll be clockwork

Last edited by NoOne; 04-24-2018 at 01:15 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:23 PM   #22
drhay53
Major Leagues

When looking at a coaches 'development influence' page, you can change which team it is for in the top right corner of the screen.
drhay53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #23
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

great post!

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #24
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Wait so do we have confirmation that international scouting budget doesn’t effect the international amateurs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 02:51 AM   #25
SayHey1
Minors (Triple A)

This is outstanding. Thank you for this. It is exactly what I was looking for.
SayHey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:32 AM   #26
garion333
Minors (Double A)

Brilliant post.

I find shortlists to be unwieldy to use so I'm surprised you live and die by them.
garion333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:08 PM   #27
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

There is some really good advice in this thread. Bookmarked for later compilation of notes to self. Thanks.

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:03 PM   #28
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Question for experts: do player ratings go up or down based on their actual performance or just the random factors in the engine?

I have a 1B reclamation project I got as a minors FA who is tearing the cover off the ball at single A (1.330 OPS with a nutty 17 HR in 130 or so AB) but his ratings are still mediocre at best. I'm not sure if I should move him up to challenge him more, or if lower ratings will make his progress slow.

Part of the issue is that he's 27, which seems to be around when guys stop really improving.

Thanks.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:43 PM   #29
Qeltar
Major Leagues

Okay so I have a question on this great post...

"Front Office Spends
More is of course, more... so yes - unless absolutely impossible, I do max out both player development allocation (36m) and scouting (24m). The smart money will surely point out that this leads to diminishing returns - something closer to ~20m/~15m still more likely puts you in the relative top spenders - plus likely gives you room for a superstar contract, but churn baby, churn... "

Let's say your ENTIRE budget for the year is... $112m. On a pure rebuilding team. Clearly $60m on dev/scouting is not an option.

I was considering going as high as $24m for development and $12m for scouting, but I realize even that is 30% of the whole budget. It leaves very little to actually spend on players.

The idea behind the plan is to get the best young players and maximize the value from them while they are cheap, and then let most of them walk when they get older. A few might become popular "franchise players" and hopefully by then gate revenues will have increased to allow me to afford them.

Is this completely nutty? Just curious what you vets think. TBH, in my first season (just completed) I did about $10m for scouting and $6m for development (had no idea what I was doing really) and ended the year with a pile of left over cash due to salary dumping anyway.

Just wondering... where are the diminishing returns on spending on this stuff?

Also, do fan favorite / franchise players at least partially pay for themselves by selling tickets, as long as they aren't complete stiffs?

Thanks for the great info.

Last edited by Qeltar; 04-30-2018 at 05:44 PM.
Qeltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #30
Franchise
Bat Boy

Thanks for going into such detail about how you operate. I've been playing OOTP since OOTP 4 and it's always nice to get a different perspective.
Franchise is offline   Reply With Quote