Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-17-2018, 09:44 AM   #1
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

Which team will you manage/GM in OOTP19?

I think I'm going to go with the Detroit Tigers this year. I think it's more fun to play a rebuilding team and try to get them to be successful than it is a successful team. Plus, if you have the option turned on where you can be fired, the owners are a lot more patient when you are rebuilding than if you're with a team like the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers or Cardinals.

The Marlins are probably going to be the worst team in MLB this year and would definitely present a challenge, but I think Detroit would be challenging in that I have never managed or GM'd an American League team before. Plus, I look at the Tigers now and I think if they build that team through the draft and shed some payroll to acquire some young talent, they could be very good in a few years.

I remember when Sparky Anderson took over the Tigers as manager in May 1979 and predicted they'd be in the playoffs in two years and in the World Series by 1984. They were not very good before Sparky arrived, but from 1980-1983 they got better every year and the wound up in the World Series in 1984 as Sparky predicted.

Which team will you be managing and GM'ing in OOTP19?
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:56 AM   #2
sentry85
Minors (Single A)

Probably the O's

I agree that playing a rebuilding team is more fun. The O's have the interesting dilemma of knowing they need to rebuild but they also think they can compete. All of that influences the to trade or not to trade Machado situation.
sentry85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:15 AM   #3
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

I love playing rebuilding teams more - much more of a challenge. But I do like having a nice top prospect too, so I tend to like to take a "good" rebuilding team over one who's a real headcase. So, maybe Atlanta? Seems like they're got a few nice building pieces, but still far not too close to contention.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #4
dannibalcorpse
Minors (Double A)

I almost always start with the Mets (even when they were good over the last few versions!) but like to try my hand at rebuilding with different teams. The Padres are perennial challenges because money is tight and you really have to keep your eye out for bargains so I'll probably run one with them. The Rangers also look like a boom or bust team that could be fun to try and wrangle.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:31 AM   #5
actionjackson
Hall Of Famer

I'm always commish/god/official historian in mine. I find I can move through the game so much faster when I don't get bogged down in the minutiae.
actionjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #6
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I always go back and forth with my plans. This year I said I was gonna use the Reds, but I am having second thoughts. I plan on going with the Yankees for sure for at least one of my games, but I might try to use the Marlins or another NL team. The Orioles also intrigue me, but I dont wanna use two teams from the same division, let alone one of my favorite team's division rivals, but I may use the O's in one of my games during the beta because I wanna trade Manny Machado lol
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

I"m going to play as the Angels and trade Trout to the Yankees. Then quit and become the GM of the Nationals. Then trade Harper to the Yankees and of course quit and get a job with the Yanks!!!

I'm actually going to first contract the MLB. I'll be removing probably about 6 teams or so. (Marlins, Rays, A's, Rockies, Padres, Royals) Then i'll reorder the league. Next i'll be Trimming the minors down to 3 levels and only 1 Affiliate in each level. Then i'll be removing 95% of the players/Front office personnel that are free agents.

Next i'll adjust the league to 154 games. I'll adjust the Hall of fame settings to only 5 votes, 90% requirement and 20% min or off the ballot.

Then I'll guide my Yanks to many World Series game 7 losses :/

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:05 PM   #8
Xogo
Minors (Triple A)

Ill do two things

1. Take over Dodgers for 2018

2. Start Dodger org starting in '74 with trying to get guys like Garvey, Welch, Cey to the HoF as I contend if they had more rings, they would be in. And not make trading away guys like Dave Stewart, Pizza, Pedro,
Xogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #9
Tunnelrunner
Minors (Single A)

I don't have the patience to rebuild from scratch. I'm hoping to take the 1989 Kansas City Royals to the World Series. We've got a good nucleus: 2 aces in Bret Saberhagen and Gubicza, a Hall of Famer in George Brett and the best athlete in America, Bo Jackson.
Tunnelrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #10
Shoeless' Socks
Minors (Double A)

Likely this pattern... My Braves. Then the worst team on the game. Then a big market team. Then a historical season etc.
Shoeless' Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 02:47 PM   #11
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry85 View Post
I agree that playing a rebuilding team is more fun. The O's have the interesting dilemma of knowing they need to rebuild but they also think they can compete. All of that influences the to trade or not to trade Machado situation.
I think this is the last hurrah for Showalter and Duquette in Baltimore if they don't win it all. I agree they need to rebuild and I think next year they'll bring in a new GM and manager to start 2019.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #12
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannibalcorpse View Post
I almost always start with the Mets (even when they were good over the last few versions!) but like to try my hand at rebuilding with different teams. The Padres are perennial challenges because money is tight and you really have to keep your eye out for bargains so I'll probably run one with them. The Rangers also look like a boom or bust team that could be fun to try and wrangle.
I think the Mets are going to be much better than a lot of people think. The same goes for the San Francisco Giants.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #13
RchW
Hall Of Famer

The same two teams (Texas and Colorado) I've managed for 10+ versions in two multi decade fictional MLB clones. It's a tribute to OOTP's robust foundation that I've been able to import these leagues year after year with no ill effects. Touch wood it'll be good for another version.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #14
bborello
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I will be playing the Padres this season. I am returning to OOTP after a few years. Excited to start
bborello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #15
TigsOs
Bat Boy

As a Tigers fan, OOTP19 will definitely help get me through "The rebuilding phase" that could possibly lead to a long season. Plus, who doesn't want to figure out a way to trade the weighed-down contracts of their favorite team as they try to rebuild?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for the season as always, but this save will definitely help when reality hits lol

Also, still in the running are the Braves, just to have Ronald Acuna. lol
TigsOs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:54 PM   #16
reds1869
Minors (Triple A)

I'll be playing as Cincinnati most of the time but will also dabble with Milwaukee. Two totally different styles of rebuild that have their own challenges and advantages.
reds1869 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #17
Llamaboy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I have a few "go to" ways of playing. I always manage my favorite team (Phillies), and I usually end up doing a MLB expansion where I manage one of those newly expanded teams. (I usually bring back the Expos for one team and vary the second). The third "go to" is starting unemployed and seeing who will hire me, which in last year's version the only MLB team to bite was typically the Reds.
Llamaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:46 PM   #18
Texan_10
Bat Boy

I usually like to take small market teams for the added challenge of almost never having a large budget. I prefer taking struggling teams, but often select teams sort of at a crossroads between competing and rebuilding. A team like the Braves and Padres I feel have already done a lot of the rebuilding already by stockpiling the farm system. The Orioles are a team I have my eye on this year. They don't have a good farm system but also aren't exactly set to compete in the AL East. It'd be fun to see what I could get by trading Machado. Mets and Rangers are two interesting teams as well. I wouldn't be surprised if either competes for a wild card this year, but both could also be completely out of the race by July with tough decisions to make. I wouldn't exactly consider either small market though.

Reds and Pirates are also high on my list. Both small markets with more work needed to acquire more young talent.
Texan_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:20 PM   #19
sentry85
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeBaker View Post
I think this is the last hurrah for Showalter and Duquette in Baltimore if they don't win it all. I agree they need to rebuild and I think next year they'll bring in a new GM and manager to start 2019.
i think buck could survive but definitely think duquette's days are numbered
sentry85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #20
pgjocki
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry85 View Post
The O's need to trade their owner, fire the GM, completely overhaul their scouting and international spending strategy and find a way to get rid of Davis. Other than that, they are right on the cusp of competing.