Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 12-04-2015, 01:44 PM   #1
algon3
Bat Boy

Question Do potential ratings change?

I'm playing my first season as an OHL manager. The OHL priority selection draft players (which is made up of 15 and 16 year-olds) were announced and they include only a handful of 5-star guys, a small number of 3-4 star guys and then everyone else is 2-star or less.

Even after scouting a sizeable number of the draft eligible players to "a" status, there are only a few players with ratings higher than 3-star. To me, this means that only about the first 10 picks of the 1st round of the draft will have any meaning since all of the other picks will be 2-star or lower players. This leads me to believe that in the long run (after several seasons) there won't be very many top rated players left in the league.

Unless... do the potential ratings change over time as players age and progress (similar to the actual ratings)? And, if so, does this make drafting in the junior leagues (OHL, WHL, QMJHL) nothing more than pure luck?
algon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
BrettC
Minors (Single A)

I believe that potential ratings can change. I'm not 100% sure but I'm pretty sure that at least in my NHL game that my player's potential has gone from 4 to 4 and a half stars or similar to that.

As for junior leagues, I haven't played one yet, but I imagine that there aren't as many high ceiling players. Most of the lower tier NHL players in the game are 3 stars or so, and most junior players don't make it to the NHL, so a 2 star or 2 and a half star rating might actually be accurate.
BrettC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 12:57 PM   #3
Duranium
All Star Starter

i do think it´s dependent of how intensive and often you scout the respective player (if not on your team) what star rating on either CA or PA you´re seeing.

"Surrendering to the glory of music
is a good thing."

David Mancuso 1944-2016

Duranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:31 PM   #4
JeffR
FHM Producer

The potential ratings you see in the game will change depending on things like scouting accuracy and the point the player is at in his career (e.g. If he's 26 and still has a lot of unfulfilled potential, the potential rating will decrease since it's unlikely he'll reach his theoretical peak. Internally, it's also possible (but very difficult) to exceed the numerical potential caps on his offensive and defensive skills, and physical and mental development isn't capped at all (when it's calculating the potential rating shown to you, the game is making some assumptions about average rates of development in those areas.)
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #5
algon3
Bat Boy

Thanks so much for the feedback. I just completed my first season managing the OHL Windsor Spitfires. Had a good year: top team in the regular season with 111 points and won the Robertson Cub as OHL champions. Had some difficulties in the Memorial Cup, finished the round robin 2-1 and then lost the semi-final game to eventual winners Saint Johns Sea Dogs. Really liked the game play and player management aspect of the game. Not too sure about the scouting and training yet but working my way through it.

The reason for my original enquiry above was because the OHL Priority Selection draft pool for the first season (2015/16) ended up only having 40 players in it. Of the 40, there were only about 5 with 4.5-star plus ratings, a few with 3-star ratings and the rest were 2-star or less. After completing the draft, I was pretty disappointed thinking the game wasn't very realistic seeing as there are supposed to be 15 rounds in the draft and we only had enough players for 2 rounds of drafting. However, I persisted and now in the 2nd season (2016/17), there are over 200 players available in the OHL Priority Selection draft pool (plenty with 5-star plus ratings) and it looks to be much more realistic.

So my new question is: Why were there so few players available in the 2015/16 OHL Priority Selection draft? Any ideas? Just a glitch? Thanks again!
algon3 is offline   Reply With Quote