Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:52 AM   #1
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

PT Cards in regular OOTP?

Do I remember hearing or reading that the PT cards may be made available in classic OOTP at some point? I've been thinking lately how cool it would be to run a team, or even a league, with the PT cards.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBaker View Post
Do I remember hearing or reading that the PT cards may be made available in classic OOTP at some point? I've been thinking lately how cool it would be to run a team, or even a league, with the PT cards.

Don't get him started.....no, not possible.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 08:55 AM   #3
atabakin
All Star Reserve

Please don't let bluesguy see this thread. Please, please, please.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
Kushiel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Markus said that it has turned out to be much harder than expected and is pushed to the back burner if it happens if I remember correctly.

Kushiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
HRBaker
Hall Of Famer

Bummer, but ok. No need for anyone to get upset about the question though - it would have been a fun experience.

HRBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Bummer, but ok. No need for anyone to get upset about the question though - it would have been a fun experience.

It's not you, another poster has made it a personal crusade.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 04:04 PM   #7
Hawks 27
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atabakin View Post
Please don't let bluesguy see this thread. Please, please, please.

Actually lol’d at this. Cool idea, but nothing I’m desperate for. Might be cool if they find a way to enhance in the next few years an allow for something like this.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #8
chazzycat
All Star Starter

I can see why they don't want to do this. Then everyone could just run the simulation module and figure out the best players quite easily. Right now it takes a good amount of effort just to clone a player's ratings to run tests.
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:13 PM   #9
Hawks 27
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
I can see why they don't want to do this. Then everyone could just run the simulation module and figure out the best players quite easily. Right now it takes a good amount of effort just to clone a player's ratings to run tests.
Aaannnddd I feel naive. I never would've thought of this. I just thought assembling a team of cards in solo mode world be fun .
Old 05-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #10
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

Honestly, player cards would perform differently in classic OOTP. The PT leagues are extreme environments. Plus you have tons of secondary factors like team strategy settings and park factors that also vary greatly. So this isn't really a concern. You can figure out which cards are good by looking at the ratings.

The real reason they're not doing it is simple - they don't have an easy time adding any new features. Tournaments and collection missions are already way behind what they expected and OOTP GO seems like it might not come out this year after originally being planned for June release.

Quite frankly, I would rather they just focus on tournaments and ignore stuff like this. PT needs more content/events. I realize the true whales want to see collection missions plus that's easier to implement, so we'll see that first, but most of us just want more things to do with our players.

GlassGuyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGuyBob View Post
Honestly, player cards would perform differently in classic OOTP.
In general, yeah. But what if you clone your entire opponents team? Wouldn't that be a huge advantage? It's the same sim engine, so if you put enough care into replicating a team, the results should be predictive. The only unknown would be their strategy sliders.

Say your world series is starting in half an hour. If you could just pick cards to assemble a team in the base game, it would be no problem to clone your opponents team and run hundreds of thousands of simulations in that half hour. That is currently impossible based on my experience with the player editor.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #12
GlassGuyBob
Minors (Double A)

How exactly do you plan on turning this information into a major advantage? What would you do with this info? Maybe to make a minor tweak to your lineup or bench?

That seems like a lot of work for something that is marginal at best. If someone wants to do that, god bless.I would guess that this consideration was a nonfactor to the devs.

GlassGuyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 05:02 PM   #13
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassGuyBob View Post
That seems like a lot of work
That's exactly the point. The idea in this thread would turn it into a trivial amount of work. You really don't think this community would pounce on anything that could provide an advantage? People would run a bunch of sims and post spreadsheets with the best players and everyone would flock to pick them up. Exactly like what happened with FAR LESS information (estimated stats from formulas), but taken to the next level because the results would be far more accurate. I don't think that would be good for the game.

Have you played with the simulation module? I feel like the benefit in being able to simulate 20,000 games in just a couple minutes speaks for itself. All the usual concerns about statistics...is my sample size too small?? That just washes away.

I do agree with you this is probably not the primary reason the devs aren't doing it...they are behind on more prominent features which they've promised in their marketing. So yeah that is a bigger reason it's not happening.

Last edited by chazzycat; 05-24-2019 at 05:03 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #14
Goliathus
Major Leagues

Chazzycat has a point. When it comes to competitive PVP games, the hardcore players will do anything to increase their win rate. Breaking down the mechanics of a game and hardcore testing are all common in this type of game/mode.

Edit: Although depending on one's mindset and viewpoint, this kind of things might not be bad. One can argue that doing all these extra works should be rewarded, so if one runs that boatload of tests, he should has the win rate advantage. On the other hand, the game might get dull if everything is known, especially because this is a sim game. In some other games, knowing everything isn't that big of a deal. You might know the most optimum way to do X and Y in LoL, but you still have to have the skill to execute it properly.

Last edited by Goliathus; 05-24-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Goliathus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #15
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Even if we figured out how to export your team, we would only allow you to export your team, not the whole league. And there's so much behind the scenes with modifiers and strategy settings that you wouldn't really get a lot out of being able to sim your team in the background.

But even if you could do that, that's not a reason that would stop us from implementing the feature. As mentioned, the reason this feature unfortunately didn't make it is that it was too challenging for the timeline involved. I'd still love the feature - it would be awesome to pit my PT team against my offline league team, or against the 27 Yankees. And yeah, one reason to do it actually could be to "test" out a configuration - seeing the impact of going with the defensive wiz vs the bigger bat would definitely be a useful tool to have.

But yes, as mentioned, there's just some complications that made it unfeasible to do as a feature for now.
Matt Arnold is online now   Reply With Quote